⭐️🎄🎅 Starmony “Christmas Vacation” - Harmony December 24-31, 2022🎅🎄⭐️

Jax

The Starmony “Christmas Vacation” blog is officially underway! 

We are counting down the days until this Christmas vacation gets underway. We are T - 11 days and the excitement is real! If you followed along last year, you know we like to have fun with a Christmas theme.  This year it’s National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, a family favourite Christmas movie. We have a few fun things planned so follow along. 

Who’s going? 

Myself (Jacquie), 17 year old son (Reyd) and hubby (Lindsay) 
For those that followed along last year, our good friends Robert and Tammy are back again this year.  Robert is a hoot so we are in for a fun week.  Our group has expanded to include another set of good friends along with their 12 year old daughter and 16 year old son. These friends are travelling with a respite worker for their daughter and will be accessing many of the Autism Friendly Ship programming and supports. 

A6ACC06A-8D43-431F-9873-1C8A3EE60BE0.gif

DC2BAA1C-2428-4FF8-9BB9-FC2520C78328.jpeg

Starmony Christmas Vacation 

Itinerary 

Nassau, St. Maarten, San Juan Puerto Rico 

Stateroom 

This is our first time on Harmony and we are staying in a 2 bedroom ATS #8730. Even though I am #teamdeck17 we want to try different star class suites. The appeal of the ATS for us was the 2 bedrooms, large deck and proximity to the Aqua show. We really don’t like losing our living space in the evening when the sofa gets turned into a bed at 6pm.  We are fine with the long walk, but my hope is we see less room service strays in the hallway (that was a pet peeve on Anthem) Time will tell, stay tuned. 

Flights

Direct flights from Calgary to Fort Lauderdale are limited to WestJet and only once per week so we are flying out a week early on their direct flight in Premium.   

Pre Cruise Hotel 

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort - Oceanfront 1 Bedroom Suite             December 17-24

We have never stayed here but the resort looks beautiful and our suite has been recently renovated.  It checked off a few must haves: oceanfront, separate living area, kitchen and spa with dry sauna and steam showers.  

Car Rental 

Enterprise from FLL airport. 

Cruise Planner Purchases 

• Couples Thermal Suite 
  • Photo Package up to 100 
  • Plane Spotting at Maho Beach, St Maarten. We did this last year and it was a lot of fun.
  • All Access Ship Tour.  This tour resumed before star class tours did so I may end up cancelling this.  

Star Class Questionnaire

I have been reading in various forums that the questionnaire received at the 60 day mark has been hit and miss. This was the first year I didn’t receive it either so I used an old link to submit it. This is a copy of the survey from last year.  I am not sure these surveys are read by the genies but regardless I spend the most time on the question: How can we make your onboard experience amazing. 

76EFDC92-6F2C-4F60-8336-315F59364D2C.jpeg

6887CC81-7F15-4BD9-8E0C-F00B9A3E78E5.jpeg

F61B04BB-EDA8-4123-83BC-11AD32E69D7F.jpeg

E829EAB0-ACE6-4830-AA9C-49031535EE8C.jpeg

Genie News 🧞

I heard from our genie at the 26 day mark.  So excited that we got Berty! 
His introductory email was brief asking for dining & entertainment preferences, beverage selections for in suite and to pass along any additional or special requests.  I outlined everything in a word document; that way he has one document vs a bunch of email threads. A few days passed and I received an email offering to review the document I sent by telephone. I have heard of some genies doing this but I was still impressed.  A quick call can avoid a bunch of email threads and possible misunderstandings. It’s not always easy to interpret and deliver a guests vision through an email thread. I feel like we are off to a great start! 

This was the inspiration for the Christmas Vacation theme blog. Lindsay purchased this 1974 Ford Country Squire a couple of months ago and his dream was to drive it in our towns Christmas parade. The lighting isn’t the best but his brothers business was awarded 3rd prize 🏆 It was a crowd favourite. 

FDF40222-DE4B-483E-92FE-9DF7758F5C71.jpeg

Random news 

I have learned a few interesting things from Berty. 

• Often on holiday cruises entertainment schedules were not finalized until just a few days before your sailing. The entertainment schedule is now fixed fleet wide 30 days in advance of your cruise date. Copy attached.
  • A second Aqua show will be added on Nights 5,6 & 7 providing there are no delays with The Fine Line Aqua Show on Nights 1-4.  I don’t think this is new but it is new to me. 
  • Star class bridge and galley tours have resumed on Harmony.
  • Escape Room is non operational. 
  • Star class priority access to flow rider has been replaced with a star class private session on the first sea day from 8:30-10am. I had heard about this change on various cruise forums so it was expected news.  
  • Snacks are no longer delivered to star class suites unless requested. They are taking a more targeted approach and trying to reduce waste. Snacks will be planned as we go. This is one change I am happy about. When we choose to snack we prefer it to be a favourite, not just random food.  
  • Balloon drop welcome at midnight has resumed. Will get more details once onboard.  
  • 2 parades. Will get more details once onboard.  

ECA9F275-743B-4C57-B3B3-E2A4EE31FEE8.jpeg

214EE063-4B5C-46D5-A29F-23FA420A0ADE.jpeg

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We’re not flow riders so the change to flow rider priority doesn’t affect us BUT I definitely see this as a downgrade -particularly on O class ships where there are 2 flow riders.  This change is nearly as bad as the Key flow rider priority.  Fairly useless.  Sorry to hear this.

Agreed. Lindsay may have been tempted to try it again on day 6 or 7 but doesn’t want to risk an injury on day 2 of the cruise. So we may skip it altogether.  I am not sure if this change is fleet wide on Oasis and Quantum ships. Have u heard anything about it on your upcoming star class cruise? 

55 minutes ago, Jax said:

Agreed. Lindsay may have been tempted to try it again on day 6 or 7 but doesn’t want to risk an injury on day 2 of the cruise. So we may skip it altogether.  I am not sure if this change is fleet wide on Oasis and Quantum ships. Have u heard anything about it on your upcoming star class cruise? 

No, but I haven’t asked either since it’s not something we are interested in.  I will ask my a genie though, just for the intel.

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Keep in mind that some of these changes can be “ship specific”. 😉

Yup, that is a good reminder as some may assume what’s happening on Harmony is happening elsewhere.  That is often not the case so it’s best not to set expectations based on one persons experiences with a genie or ship.  

26 minutes ago, mathbees said:

A couple of years back, I got one of these... https://www.uglychristmassweater.com/products/griswold-family-christmas-ugly-christmas-sweater-led-lights.

Wish I could show it to you in person. 😆

That’s so great! Lindsay’s apparel is quite fashionable compared to that beauty. Lol

821C1749-EB39-4A7D-A035-FB6700A59F2D.jpeg

4 hours ago, Jax said:

This was the inspiration for the Christmas Vacation theme blog. Lindsay purchased this 1974 Ford Country Squire a couple of months ago and his dream was to drive it in our towns Christmas parade. The lighting isn’t the best but his brothers business was awarded 3rd prize 🏆 It was a crowd favourite. 

FDF40222-DE4B-483E-92FE-9DF7758F5C71.jpeg

I had this car as a kid!!!! I used to ride in the back no seatbelt lol!!! Love the decorations!  You will be getting off Harmony the day I get on so I can't wait to read what you do and see!!!!   It will make my last week pre-vacay bearable!  Jane

I just saw the celebration parade on Harmony in Nov........ it was something.

I want to assume they will just add a Christmas base one for this cruise.

It sucks that while you are paying for a premium experience, they are giving you a slightly above average one. In most cases star class can be $2-3k pp, when the average balcony might cost that for a family of 4. 

26 minutes ago, Babsy47 said:

I’m sad.  The flowrider priority is a primary reason I book Star class.  I do have teens and they love to flowride and rock climb.  For my family, losing the line priority benefit is a really big deal. 🙁

I understand how you feel. Maybe if enough star class guests express their dissatisfaction over losing this perk on their post cruise survey, the policy may be reconsidered.   I only know that this is the policy is for Harmony; it may be different on other ships.  And the change only affects the flowrider; the other activities such as rock climbing continue to offer priority access during the scheduled times.  

Yay!!  Another @Jax live blog!  It’s becoming a Christmas tradition!

we got off symphony in November. We had 1 hour of private flowrider session for SC on our last sea day. It was from 8-9 am. My daughter and I were the only ones and we basically had a private lesson with the staff. It was fun but I was pretty banged up. 

they had bridge tour but no galley tour for SC. Can’t wait to follow along. 

15 hours ago, Jax said:

I sailed on Quantum to Alaska and it was changed then. I had previously sailed Symphony and Odyessy the month before not in Star but had Star guests go every 3 times.  I was told by my genie on Quantum it was due to covid and not wanting long lines since they were at reduced capacity there was not a need for it.  Since sailing at full capacity it had not changed back.  I was not a happy camper and contacted rc via twitter asking what the policy was.  They stated every 3rd person during non peak hours.  They then contacted the ship and I met with the Sports manager and genie and they said RC had decided to changed it back to pre covid rules and he missed the memo.  Now it seems that it is back to the one hour.   

I can live with most of the changes, no suite party, downgraded bath amenities, venues being closed,ie escape,laser tag, no sushi making or cup cake class included, luggage delivery no longer going to your room and out in with the rest to be delivered, rooms not being ready when boarding, but the flowrider will stop me from booking Star after the ones I already have booked.

10 hours ago, Babsy47 said:

I’m sad.  The flowrider priority is a primary reason I book Star class.  I do have teens and they love to flowride and rock climb.  For my family, losing the line priority benefit is a really big deal. 🙁

You can always contact mbayley@rccl.com.  If they do not think people are dissatisfied they will never change it.  He has a team of guest relations that handles his emails. I plan on contacting the staff as well.

3 hours ago, sammy79 said:

we got off symphony in November. We had 1 hour of private flowrider session for SC on our last sea day. It was from 8-9 am. My daughter and I were the only ones and we basically had a private lesson with the staff. It was fun but I was pretty banged up. 

We would actually prefer the session later on the last sea day just in case of an injury.  Not sure Lindsay and Reyd want to risk an injury on our first sea day. Lol  

We are really looking forward to these tours, especially the bridge tour as we missed them last year on Oasis. It will be a highlight for us! 

❤️❤️ Reality is setting in that we only have a few more Christmas’s with Reyd in High School so we are making the most of them.  

Who wants to get up at 8 am on the last sea day for this perk? lol

16 hours ago, Jax said:

I would suggest signing up for a private lesson early on the cruise.  Since he is a teen, they work with them and give them a tow rope and really teach them the right way to do stand up. That way he can enjoy the flowrider the whole trip and even more so during the free hour.

30 minutes ago, MLH said:

I would suggest signing up for a private lesson early on the cruise.  Since he is a teen, they work with them and give them a tow rope and really teach them the right way to do stand up. That way he can enjoy the flowrider the whole trip and even more so during the free hour.

Thanks for this idea! Lindsay is my 50+ husband who is more adventurous than our 17 year old son.  Lol  He has done the flow rider before but the possibility of an injury still lingers in the back of his mind.  The staff said that Canadians generally catch on quickly particularly if they played hockey; which Lindsay did. I honestly have no idea if he will attend the star session. Stay tuned! 

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm so envious of @Jaxand others who are good gift-givers.  I can never think of anything good for our Genie(s).  UGH.  Once again, I am a complete failure at Genie-giving.  😪

No such thing as failing at genie giving. ❤️ Cash is king but I thought the cards would be a fun way to give his gift of cash throughout the week.  Lol 

4 hours ago, Jax said:

Thanks for this idea! Lindsay is my 50+ husband who is more adventurous than our 17 year old son.  Lol  He has done the flow rider before but the possibility of an injury still lingers in the back of his mind.  The staff said that Canadians generally catch on quickly particularly if they played hockey; which Lindsay did. I honestly have no idea if he will attend the star session. Stay tuned! 

Sorry about the misread.  lol  I  watched a much older than 50 gentleman try the first day and didn't do well.  He took a group/private lesson  and was able to  stand up and ride for a bit the rest of the cruise.  I do the boogie board only but hope to  do standup one day.  I have stable benign tumors that have eaten my bones away in hip and femur and pelvis.  Any major fall could fracture my hip.  Once my hip gets replaced, I am determined to try.  Maybe your whole family can do a group lesson.  Sounds like a nice surprise Christmas gift. WWCD?  What would Clark do?

47 minutes ago, MLH said:

WWCD?  What would Clark do?

This made me laugh. I may steal this for the rest of the blog  lol 

48 minutes ago, MLH said:

I  watched a much older than 50 gentleman try the first day and didn't do well. 

Oh no! 🤦‍♀️ The one thing I actually like about this change to a private star class session is all the spectators that watch the public sessions.  It can be a bit nerve wracking. Lindsay got up first attempt and never wiped out. We credit his years of playing hockey.  Our 17 year old on the other hand has no interest to try it. 

Speaking of luggage, I splurged and purchased Monos luggage for all of us. It’s an investment for sure but the rigorous testing and lifetime guarantee convinced me to give them a try. I am tired of luggage falling apart after a few uses. Some of you may think I am nuts but I purchased the luggage covers 🤦‍♀️.  Reviews are mostly favourable but I will report back. I love pretty + functional luggage and really hope the covers work. I decided to purchase a variety of colors so our bags are easily identifiable (navy blue, pink, grey and terracotta). I took a picture of one of the bags with the cover on for those that have no idea what I am talking about. Lol 

99E28470-0A03-4878-A9D7-FB8941B3E95F.jpeg

I forgot to mention. We will be using apple air tags again this year in our checked luggage. This is one of my biggest fears but we are on a direct flight with priority luggage so I am keeping good thoughts.  I would definitely not handle lost luggage as well as @Lovetocruise2002  Lol 

7EE80AA8-A497-4D60-8847-3A606DFA4CAA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jax said:

I forgot to mention. We will be using apple air tags again this year in our checked luggage.

I use my AirTag religiously too, but we only ever do carry-on luggage. Once they made me relinquish the bag on the ramp for being "too big for the overhead" (even when it had been on 4 other planes of the same exact model on the same trip) and it ended up in another state so now I have to have a way of knowing where it is even if its always with me! 

The funniest part to me is always the notifications of "Daryl you've left your bag behind, it was last seen in the Pacific Ocean" whenever we leave the cabin! 

PS. Love the luggage covers, I have a fancy Away soft-sided carry-on and I hate how banged up it's gotten on just 2 trips!