Denied boarding Independence Nov 28

Jrs1102

First time cruiser. On Nov 28 we were scheduled to depart on the Independence. Had check in scheduled at 1pm. But when we arrived at the terminal the line was about 3 hours long. When we finally made it to the counter they told me that my birth certificate even-though it is an original could not be accepted since it was the old format. So we were denied boarding. I thought that since the website said original birth certificate, thats what it meant. They told me I could contact someone from where im from to get an updated version and have a picture sent over, but it was already too late. The office had already closed.  I ended up with my two boys crying, upset and a father torn to pieces over the disappointment. Months of planning and keeping it a surprise for nothing.
My question is as follows: Does anyone have experience when dealing with the Trip Protection program? I bought the protection and already submitted the claim.  Does it take long to process? Just curious cause I cant wait to book a new cruise and tell my boys. So they can be excited again.

Sorry you were turned away and had your surprise cruise ruined. I'm really impressed that you want to book again. Some people would be turned off forever...and that's a shame. Cruising is a great vacation!

I'm guessing the birth certificate was not state government issued (if you're from the US) with the raised seal. I've heard of many cases where people produced original 'Hospital Issued' certificates...which have since been recognized as unreliable and subject to easy forgery/fraud. Pretty much all US government agencies will not recognize these certificates for use as official identifiers and require the state health and human services copy as an official document. 

Sorry you did not realize this requirement. Maybe it should have been more clearly stressed during the booking process, and your disappointment could have been avoided. 

Good luck booking your next cruise and I really hope you and your family have a great time!

Different states have moved to the newer format or "long" format as it is called in some states at different paces. 

Puerto Rico, while not a US state, as a US territory requires re-issuing birth certificates from prior to a specific date as an example how there can be differences and nuances to the cruising with a birth certificate policy as implemented by US CBP.  

The problem is that there are versions of birth certificates that were once used in different states or territories and not all of these are considered to be an "official" birth certificates.  A hospital issued "birth certificate" is not an official government document.  It can look somewhat official and it can have the words "Birth Certificate" or "Certificate of Birth" but that does not make it an official government recognized birth certificate.  Depending on your state or territory you should reach out the them to acquire what is now recognized as an official birth certificate. 

Where I am from I had to acquire what they call a long form version.  They still offer the short form version for some reason and I could have ordered that but I knew the long format was the one I needed to support my passport application.

I appreciate how devastating this much have been but understand they are simply enforcing the government immigration policy.  

Q

Can I cruise with a Birth Certificate if I am a U.S. Citizen?

A

For U.S. Sailings only, U.S. Citizens may cruise using an official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. However, we highly recommend that all U.S. Citizen’s cruise with their U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship.  The Government of Puerto Rico has partnered with document provider VitalChek to provide an expedited method for ordering new birth certificates. To apply through this method please visit:- www.vitalchek.com. Vital Check also offers a bilingual call center available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Processing and shipping fees apply. To apply through this method please call: (866) 842-6765.

For all sailings that visit Colombia, all guests will be required to present a passport book valid for at least 6 months after the sailing’s return date in order to board. Colombian Customs and Immigration requires all visitors to have a valid passport book and will not accept any other travel documents for entry. Unfortunately, any guests without a valid passport book will be denied boarding.

For International Sailings- US Citizens require a passport book with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

2 hours ago, MarcBerger said:

THIS is why I have a passport and never have to worry about these types of situations. 

Next time do some more research.

What a shame 😔

14 hours ago, Jrs1102 said:

First time cruiser. On Nov 28 we were scheduled to depart on the Independence. Had check in scheduled at 1pm. But when we arrived at the terminal the line was about 3 hours long. When we finally made it to the counter they told me that my birth certificate even-though it is an original could not be accepted since it was the old format. So we were denied boarding. I thought that since the website said original birth certificate, thats what it meant. They told me I could contact someone from where im from to get an updated version and have a picture sent over, but it was already too late. The office had already closed.  I ended up with my two boys crying, upset and a father torn to pieces over the disappointment. Months of planning and keeping it a surprise for nothing.
My question is as follows: Does anyone have experience when dealing with the Trip Protection program? I bought the protection and already submitted the claim.  Does it take long to process? Just curious cause I cant wait to book a new cruise and tell my boys. So they can be excited again.

Get a passport. Period. 

45 minutes ago, Censored said:

Get a passport. Period. 

And to get one, you'll need an official birth certificate showing both parents names.  My original state issued birth certificate from 1977 did not list parents names so I needed a new one to get a passport (although I was a able to cruise with it previously).  Also keep in mind that they keep it while processing the passport.

17 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

And to get one, you'll need an official birth certificate showing both parents names.  My original state issued birth certificate from 1977 did not list parents names so I needed a new one to get a passport (although I was a able to cruise with it previously).  Also keep in mind that they keep it while processing the passport.

So one should order two of the "proper/new" birth certificates per person, setting aside one to use in ordering passports.

27 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

And to get one, you'll need an official birth certificate showing both parents names.  

Not always the case. I know this gets nitpicky, but that's me 🙂 Before I met my wife, I dated a girl who has no idea who her father is(nor does her mom), so his name definitely isn't on the birth certificate. 

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

Not always the case. I know this gets nitpicky, but that's me 🙂 Before I met my wife, I dated a girl who has no idea who her father is(nor does her mom), so his name definitely isn't on the birth certificate. 

I believe in those cases, they have the space for the parents names, but list unknown or similar in that space.  My original has no place for them to even be listed.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Welcome to the message boards.

I am very sorry you were denied boarding because of the certificate. Did your certificate have the raised seal on it, since it was the original? I've never heard of an "old format" or a "new format" so I'm curious what it means exactly.

It was my original. It doesn't have a raised seal, but does have a stamp that they put on it when it was issued years ago. Im from Puerto Rico so things were done a lot different years ago. Don't live there anymore so since I had my original certificate, I thought that was enough in combination with my drivers license. Based on what I had read when it came to documents. The main thing they mentioned was the color of the paper. That its not blue. 

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Different states have moved to the newer format or "long" format as it is called in some states at different paces. 

Puerto Rico, while not a US state, as a US territory requires re-issuing birth certificates from prior to a specific date as an example how there can be differences and nuances to the cruising with a birth certificate policy as implemented by US CBP.  

The problem is that there are versions of birth certificates that were once used in different states or territories and not all of these are considered to be an "official" birth certificates.  A hospital issued "birth certificate" is not an official government document.  It can look somewhat official and it can the words "Birth Certificate" or "Certificate of Birth" but that does not make it an official government recognized birth certificate.  Depending on your state or territory you should reach out the them to acquire what is now recognized as an official birth certificate. 

Where I am from I had to acquire what they call a long form version.  They still offer the short form version for some reason and I could have ordered that but I knew the long format was the one I needed to support my passport application.

I appreciate how devastating this much have been but understand they are simply enforcing the government immigration policy.  

Q

Can I cruise with a Birth Certificate if I am a U.S. Citizen?

A

For U.S. Sailings only, U.S. Citizens may cruise using an official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. However, we highly recommend that all U.S. Citizen’s cruise with their U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship.  The Government of Puerto Rico has partnered with document provider VitalChek to provide an expedited method for ordering new birth certificates. To apply through this method please visit:- www.vitalchek.com. Vital Check also offers a bilingual call center available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Processing and shipping fees apply. To apply through this method please call: (866) 842-6765.

For all sailings that visit Colombia, all guests will be required to present a passport book valid for at least 6 months after the sailing’s return date in order to board. Colombian Customs and Immigration requires all visitors to have a valid passport book and will not accept any other travel documents for entry. Unfortunately, any guests without a valid passport book will be denied boarding.

For International Sailings- US Citizens require a passport book with a minimum of 6 months validity post the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

That is the part I missed. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship. 

Shame on me 🤦🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, PL8SWPR said:

I've had a passport since 2004. My birth certificate does not have parents names on it and was accepted. 

I have to add one more post to this. Everyone here who constantly tells people without passports who are clearly looking for an OK to not spend the time and money on them because they have the unique privilege of a piece of paper from their birth are doing them no favors. Neither are cruise lines for that matter. But they do it because they don't want to frighten off business because of the extra expense. Still bottom line is things can go wrong. Trips can be ruined. People get sick. People die. A million reasons to need a passport to go and to return in a hurry. Getting drivers license, REAL ID, etc, all made easier with a passport. Most of those things require 4 forms of identification in various categories. A passport almost always is worth multiple points in those situations. It's value as identification goes beyond travel. It's the ultimate ID. And comes in handy when getting or even renewing so many other things. It should be the only advice offered. Then you can feel no guilt you steered anyone wrong.

2 hours ago, Jrs1102 said:

It was my original. It doesn't have a raised seal, but does have a stamp that they put on it when it was issued years ago. Im from Puerto Rico so things were done a lot different years ago. Don't live there anymore so since I had my original certificate, I thought that was enough in combination with my drivers license. Based on what I had read when it came to documents. The main thing they mentioned was the color of the paper. That its not blue. 

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship.  The Government of Puerto Rico has partnered with document provider VitalChek to provide an expedited method for ordering new birth certificates. To apply through this method please visit:- www.vitalchek.com. Vital Check also offers a bilingual call center available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Processing and shipping fees apply. To apply through this method please call: (866) 842-6765.

As an example of what can go wrong…..

The county in New Jersey where I was born issued Official County Government Birth Certificates for years. They were considered official government documents with raised seals and used for government identification purposes. That is…until some workers in the County office realized they had a way to make money for themselves. They illegally issued hundreds of falsified birth certificates for a fee. These certificates were used by other nefarious individuals to file for welfare and other government-supplied services. During the background check by those agencies, the County office confirmed they were valid. And the money flowed.

Of course as with virtually all such criminal schemes…somebody spilled the beans and the corrupt enterprise was shut down. The result was that every county birth certificate issued prior to the date of discovery were declared invalid. Then the state mandated that all government birth certificates must be issued by the state office.

The point here is you just can’t beat a passport for official government identification…especially for travel. It’s better to find out that your other, previously thought valid, forms of identification are useless during the passport application process…then on the day you really need them.

16 hours ago, Jrs1102 said:

My original birth certificate and my wife's are white. Both of our adult children have originals that are pink.