Royal Caribbean charges for extra plate, Main Dining Room

John63

58 minutes ago, Vlad said:

I was waiting for this rumors to start... 

Royal caribbean charging for anything double... 🤣😂

2nd piece if bacon... 

2nd sausage... 

2nd potato... 

Even 2nd French Fry  !!! 

It's unbelievable !!! 

Remember the chip commercial "Bet you can eat just one!" well in  this case I may just eat one.😃

1 hour ago, Vlad said:

I was waiting for this rumors to start... 

Royal caribbean charging for anything double... 🤣😂

2nd piece if bacon... 

2nd sausage... 

2nd potato... 

Even 2nd French Fry  !!! 

It's unbelievable !!! 

I think where the problem lies is Carnival is now charging for more than 2 entrées and the general public isn't keeping the lines mentally separated.  Kinda like tourists getting confused that there's no Harry Potter at Disney's Hollywood Studios. 

19 hours ago, Rackham said:

I think where the problem lies is Carnival is now charging for more than 2 entrées and the general public isn't keeping the lines mentally separated.  Kinda like tourists getting confused that there's no Harry Potter at Disney's Hollywood Studios. 

Well, more than 2 is logical. It just goes to waste. I always tell the waiter. If I don't want rice or potatoes, just not to give it to me. Why just throw it after I'm done. 

22 hours ago, John63 said:

we are sailing on Adventure of the Seas, 14 January.  We have heard, that Royal Caribbean will be charging for additional plates.  Is that true?

52 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Well, more than 2 is logical. It just goes to waste. I always tell the waiter. If I don't want rice or potatoes, just not to give it to me. Why just throw it after I'm done. 

When one cruise line makes a significant change on anything, the rest are sure to follow.  $5 bucks for an extra plate is no problem for me. too many people are ordering everything on the menu x2  . Just for taste.   Its wasted food.  Royal will also be eliminating some items on the MDR menu as well. Probably the ones that aren't ordered as much.  That might be a smart idea, as it would speed up service time.   If somebody is complaining about these new policies, because they cant stuff their face anymore, then they should go to WindJammer buffet and jam their face there.   Way too much wasted food in the MDR.  Simplify it and make it better quality. Warm water lobster?....yuck.  I never order it. Glorified scampi is what it is. Not even close to Maine lobster. 

I don't really get the fuss, if indeed there is any notable issues about this. If I want to sample food or overindulgence I go to the buffet, and when I want a traditional meal I go to MDR or a specialty restaurant. I personally have never needed more than one plate of anything unless it's from a fancy place that barely puts any food on the plate in the first place.  I certainly don't like Lobster enough to eat plate after plate of it so that I feel so full that I can't function or start to feel sick. I mean it's not like a person is going to starve on a cruise ship..  

Now I can certainly understand the mindset that makes a person feel since the food is included you simply must take advantage of it and consume as much as possible to get your money's worth, I just feel that's just being gluttonous. Between the appetizer, meal and dessert one has to feel adequately full? If not are there are other options. And if I recall it's only on the same dish? You can still order another dish like say the steak after eating lobster, right? 

15 minutes ago, RCVirgin22 said:

I don't really get the fuss, if indeed there is any notable issues about this. If I want to sample food or overindulgence I go to the buffet, and when I want a traditional meal I go to MDR or a specialty restaurant. I personally have never needed more than one plate of anything unless it's from a fancy place that barely puts any food on the plate in the first place.  I certainly don't like Lobster enough to eat plate after plate of it so that I feel so full that I can't function or start to feel sick. I mean it's not like a person is going to starve on a cruise ship..  

Now I can certainly understand the mindset that makes a person feel since the food is included you simply must take advantage of it and consume as much as possible to get your money's worth, I just feel that's just being gluttonous. Between the appetizer, meal and dessert one has to feel adequately full? If not are there are other options. And if I recall it's only on the same dish? You can still order another dish like say the steak after eating lobster, right? 

Yes, as I understand you could still order 2 plates, but just one feels me up.  My wife likes to try different things, so on the second plate, she would ask for a smaller portion.  Just to try it out.  Me one plate, salad, and a desert.  I must admit, that if desert is small,  I would ask for more. I freely admit, I love sweets.

17 hours ago, John63 said:

Me one plate, salad, and a desert.  I must admit, that if desert is small,  I would ask for more. I freely admit, I love sweets.

I can never make up my mind which dessert to order and almost always order 2 - just go for it! The desserts aren't huge at all and it helps the waitstaff to know everything you want when you place your order. 

7 hours ago, RCVirgin22 said:

People don't order multiple to "fill up". It's about sampling and it has always been part of the experience.

And to the people who say I don't eat potatoes so I ask they be left off plate to save food. The food is cooked in advance. Enough is made to go around. If you pass it is not put in Tupperware and reserved. It still goes. They can't make more to order on the spot if they run out mid service. And safety limits what can be done with it. Plus at least 4 other basic restaurant kitchen factors that come to mind.

I often get a couple of apps and maybe 2 mains if I can't decide. I have also had plenty of waiters just bring me a plate of something. Last month on Odyssey we got an extra plate of lamb chops and garlic shrimp without even asking. So, if they do charge extra, some waiters are going to do bad on the survey for going the extra mile.

4 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

People don't order multiple to "fill up". It's about sampling and it has always been part of the experience.

Perhaps something like a sampler plate should be considered then? Though I guess it doesn't solve the space issue required for having a certain number of meals to prepare and would simply add another entree type dish. 

Regardless these companies are going to do whatever they need to in order address higher costs going forward and if this is best for their bottom line it will stick. Most people only complain for short time then continue with their lives and the changes become normal.

9 hours ago, Pooch said:

My husband regularly orders 2 appetizers, sometimes I like several appetizers instead of an entree.  Extra plates doesn’t necessarily mean gluttony.

I don't consider appetizers the same as an entree, generally that stuff is less expensive than an entree anyways so they're not losing as much. My gluttony comment was in response to hearing stories that people were over doing it with entrees like they were at Skippers all you can eat Lobster fest. And as I previously state, I've gone through several plates in the buffet but at least there I can control the portions and get less on each plate rather than heaping each time. Thereby not wasting any food unless I happen to get something I didn't like. 

12 minutes ago, RCVirgin22 said:

Perhaps something like a sampler plate should be considered then? Though I guess it doesn't solve the space issue required for having a certain number of meals to prepare and would simply add another entree type dish. 

Regardless these companies are going to do whatever they need to in order address higher costs going forward and if this is best for their bottom line it will stick. Most people only complain for short time then continue with their lives and the changes become normal.

I don't consider appetizers the same as an entree, generally that stuff is less expensive than an entree anyways so they're not losing as much. My gluttony comment was in response to hearing stories that people were over doing it with entrees like they were at Skippers all you can eat Lobster fest. And as I previously state, I've gone through several plates in the buffet but at least there I can control the portions and get less on each plate rather than heaping each time. Thereby not wasting any food unless I happen to get something I didn't like. 

I disagree. I believe these changes will alienate many who cruise multiple times per year and they (Royal) run the risk of losing many loyal customers. 

On 12/5/2022 at 12:19 PM, Vlad said:

I’ve done this and sometimes I’m served as asked and other times I’m given the regular plate with a statement “ the chef says it must be presented this way”

I did just do the Sip. brunch tour of the galley and got a little insight to the kitchen.  All meals have a picture they are to look like on the plate.  I imagine a waiter asking for a change could be an issue, not sure how much it slows down the pick up process.  I do know our scraps feed the fishies….

1 hour ago, TomBryant said:

We just got off Harmony on Saturday. We both got an extra lobster. The 1st was good, the 2nd was even better. 

We never got turned down for anything we asked in the MDR. And didn't get charged at all.

Was it a cold water lobster or warm water? The extra charge being discussed is for cold water lobsters. Extra warm water ones have always been free in the MDR.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Ryan79 said:

Was it a cold water lobster or warm water? The extra charge being discussed is for cold water lobsters. Extra warm water ones have always been free in the MDR.

I'm sure it was a warm water lobster. I am sure cold water people think there's are best, but i like our bugs. 

• 1 month later...

I'm simply no longer a heavy eater since I'm not a teenager nor in my 20's or even 30's anymore. By the time you add up an appetizer, main entrée and a dessert I'm pretty much full. I have to resist the urge to overdue it or I feel like a bloated mess later.  Also, if I happen to feel hungry later on there's always food somewhere to be eaten. 

Though I do get the sentiment of wanting to get your Money's worth while on board, especially with the rising costs everywhere. And if I ever cruise again it will simply mean I spend even less on board to counteract those higher prices. 

On 12/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Pooch said:

My husband regularly orders 2 appetizers, sometimes I like several appetizers instead of an entree.  Extra plates doesn’t necessarily mean gluttony.

Agreed - often the Dearly Beloved and I split all three of the night's appetizers to try them, and sometimes split the desserts as well.. since we both were taught to clean our plates I try to do a LOT of laps on the walking track!