Record Breaking!

mike2608

2 hours ago, twangster said:

No wonder rates are trending upward.  It's been hard to find deals.   I've resorted to booking MSC.  

We’ve found some of their prices for European itineraries we’re interested in have been crazy low.  

we got some great balcony deals on oasis class ships for two of our three cruises. i think it just varies on your sailing time and a great TA who can offer some perks/group rates. just really depends.

that said, icon class for a CP balcony or a JS on oasis... kind of makes your head spin. i know she's the newest and the biggest, but woof.

27 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

that said, icon class for a CP balcony or a JS on oasis... kind of makes your head spin. i know she's the newest and the biggest, but woof.

I know! It's getting even crazier. We booked our midship OV balcony right after they opened up Icon bookings and we chose the least expensive sailing at that time (really worked out as we preferred May and we have yet to sail that itinerary).

When we booked it in OCT, it was $3,200... now it's up to $4,300 when I price it!

image.png.dc78126c61ef7ceb5c8cbec3b3f6c534.png

image.png.27a7d48c3f632d9da2d90503ae8ec0bb.png

2 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

I know! It's getting even crazier. We booked our midship OV balcony right after they opened up Icon bookings and we chose the least expensive sailing at that time (really worked out as we preferred May and we have yet to sail that itinerary).

When we booked it in OCT, it was $3,200... now it's up to $4,300 when I price it!

image.png.dc78126c61ef7ceb5c8cbec3b3f6c534.png

image.png.27a7d48c3f632d9da2d90503ae8ec0bb.png

Doing a bit of quick math, and ignoring how cruise pricing works with ship cabin availability and such, the increased amount tracks with increasing cruise fares to be about 20% cheaper than a land-based vacation, assuming the original amount was 40% less. 

"We've seen this 40% gap to land based vacation. It used to be about 20%."

"... And so we see there is a lot of opportunity to close that gap here over time."- Jason Liberty, Royal Caribbean Group CEO

From: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/11/03/royal-caribbean-going-after-orlando-vacationers

58 minutes ago, Rackham said:

Doing a bit of quick math, and ignoring how cruise pricing works with ship cabin availability and such, the increased amount tracks with increasing cruise fares to be about 20% cheaper than a land-based vacation, assuming the original amount was 40% less. 

This is very interesting but I'm skeptical of everything anymore.  I was looking at a cruise about a month ago.  Online it said ALL of the  ocean view balconies were "sold out".  We went with the same cruise, same ship and itinerary except when the "demand" didn't seem as high.  Now I see that the cruise we originally wanted wasn't close to being sold out.and cost less than the one we booked.  Fortunately we booked refundable so we made the change and didn't incur change fees.  Unfortunately, the cost to book refundable was very high.

I agree that a land-based vacation is looking like a better deal to me.  I think Royal has closed the gap considerably in my opinion.  The cruise is a year away so we might still cancel the cruise and get a refund.  I wonder how long it will take for the refund to be processed.