RC Food Suck

Boba Milk Tea

16 minutes ago, Srp431 said:

Nacho cheese is pasteurized American cheese w/ seasoning and canned. Think Velveeta in a can.  This is pretty far from real cheese as it gets.

Nacho's though can certainly be made with real cheeses which may be what the OP was expecting.  I personally would be expecting the canned goop on a cruise. 

16 minutes ago, Thorntor said:

Could it be that RC has made a business decision to reduce quality in the dining rooms in order to sell more specialty dining venue meals ? 🙄  We walked out of the main dining room on lobster night on Harmony in Oct 22 due to poor quality.

This would be like an airline intentionally making the experience worse for 100 people in economy class to encourage them to all buy the 20 seats in business class.

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

This would be like an airline intentionally making the experience worse for 100 people in economy class to encourage them to all buy the 20 seats in business class.

Restaurants everywhere are suffering from increased operating costs.  When the cruise lines are selling every cabin, they don’t have to worry too much about customer dining or other complaints.  The specialty dining venues offer a choice for those willing to pay extra for better quality.  

The food can be hit or miss, this seems to be a recent development. However as a whole I don't think Royals food sucks too bad. There will always be mainstays in the buffet and dining room, but I do think they rotate the offerings.  

I also doubt they are trying to drive 3500+pax to fight for 50-90 spots in the specialty restaurants.  In all honesty, imho, other lines have always had better free food than Royal but lacked in other areas. 

Ah man!  You were able to eat in the MDR!

Since Royal has neutered My Time Dining by starting at 6:45pm I haven't had the fortitude to stand in line for 45 minutes starting at 6:15pm to attempt to eat in the MDR.   If they offered bar service while standing in line for MTD it might be better.  Heck I'd pay $20 per drink plus 18% gratuity while standing in a line that doesn't move for an MTD hour to get a drink.  

Instead I've been relegated to the WJ where I can always find something and as someone who has eaten exclusively in the WJ for the 80 nights I've spent aboard in 2022 (so far) it does change nightly which is why the WJ is truly underrated.  

The only reason I'm not giving up on Royal despite how they have ruined MTD is because the WJ is actually a pretty decent dinner venue.  I can choose from several different types of salads (more than that's offered in the MDR), more variety of dinner rolls and many different foods that aren't offered in the MDR at all and I can choose how much of each to load (or not) on my plate.  

Naturally since you are busy not enjoying the MDR you aren't in the WJ to see the ever changing nightly selections so I understand you don't see the variety available in the WJ.  

Wait... did I just find your YT channel?

Pop Culture Education GIF by PBS Digital Studios

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

, My problem with WJ is those that cut in line, or go in the wrong direction to reach in to get a piece of food.  Get in line. Maybe the one area might be the dessert area.

i mean, i understand your frustration. and it is exasperating to reach for something, only to have someone zoom in front of you from the other direction. 

but unfortunately this is part of the buffet dining experience. if you prefer a more civilized approach 🤣 (as many of us do), you are better off seeking seated dining service on the ship. 

i’ve yet to have someone suddenly take the seat in front of me, duck duck goose style, in the MDR or specialty dining 😆

also going during non-peak times can help with the crowd crush at times. 

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

, My problem with WJ is those that cut in line, or go in the wrong direction to reach in to get a piece of food.  Get in line. Maybe the one area might be the dessert area.

The line starts at the end where the plates are!  Hello!

On the flip side, when people are queuing in the wrong direction is it really cutting in line?

Nothing worse than a line monitor in the WJ!

worst-dr-rick-hosts-a-seminar-1612531981

Just got off a 14 day recently. While I agree with the windjammer not changing thing up, I wouldn't say the food overall was bad or even noticed a drop in quality. In the MDR the chefs were experimenting with food combos (confirmed by our waiter) and some just didn't work, but then again there are probably very few > 7 night cruises, so they're trying not to repeat.

The only real night the food wasn't good was the first night in the MDR, the food was dry, but that seemed to be more of a mess up by the RCL as opposed to the chefs. The two dining times were supposed to be 5pm and 8pm (which was the time when we looked at our paperwork). For some reason they mistakenly printed 5:30 and 8:30 on everybody's seapass card. The dining room was expecting everybody to show up at 5 and nobody did until after 5:30. Poor maitre'd looked very stressed that night, telling everybody they could come at 5 as the seapass time is incorrect

My mind still thinks I’m 20, so when I’m eating lunch in the windjammer, I make chili dogs with the yellow liquid cheese they have right next to the hot dogs.   If that’s the cheese you’re referencing, I don’t think it’s supposed to be nacho flavored.   I always expected a bland velveeta type cheese and have never been disappointed. 

I like the Windjammer because I can let my creative side come out and put together a plate of different foods that makes total sense to me.  My wife just thinks I’m weird.  I have to watch out or she’ll take pictures, post on social media, and title it “Look what Ted’s eating today”. 🤷‍♂️

We had traditional dining on the Serenade last week. The MDR was probably the best MDR food we have ever experienced on a ship ( aside from the Thanksgiving Ham & their version of "stuffing) We visited the Specialty restaurants once for lunch (Chop's) & 2X dinner, Chop's & Giovanni's. At no time were the specialty restaurants at capacity, there were tables available each time we dined. I think the Suites Chop's breakfast along with the Pinnacles partaking in the same room was more crowded. MTD line snaked all the way to where the hallway twisted, this surprised me. I would not enjoy that at all. 

Sorry you had a problem with the cheese, but at least someone near wasn't cutting it! LOL, I'm such a child !!!!

On 11/30/2022 at 2:06 PM, Boba Milk Tea said:

I’m currently on Symphony of the Seas.  The food sucks. 
1. The nachos cheese is fake. 
2. crab cake doesn’t have real crab

3. same food at wind jammer every day

4. dining room food was also bad most days 

quality has gone done. 

I’m done with RC. 

So in review, you are done with the company as a whole because the nacho cheese, windjammer and MDR “sucked”? You, Mr “Boba milk” are not a cruiser. Please check out some land based vacations so that another family waiting in line to book a cruise on RC has an opportunity. After record breaking bookings & demand at near record highs, I do not think they will miss your complaints about the sucky nacho cheese. Who eats that sh@t anyway?