Voom pre-cruise discount change

I'm seeing new pricing on Cruise Planner for Voom packages.  Initially I thought prices went up, but in reality, Royal Caribbean is changing the discount offered.

Screenshot.png

The onboard price for Voom Surf & Stream is still $17.99, it's just the amount of discount has decreased.

Of course, prices can change at anytime.

Not sure how to look at it.  We paid 11.99 this past Monday for the surf & stream 1 device for the Harmony for 5/20/17.  The discount was showing 30% off on board prices.  We paid 8.99 on the Navi back in March.  I truly think they also base it on the ship and number of nights.  We paid $38 dollars for the drink package on the Navi and it's $48 for the Harmony which I can't justify.

I just had VOOM purchase become available for  my cruise, and this is weird. The prices are exactly the same as what you're showing in the screen shot, but it doesn't show any discount applied.

This is for Freedom. Were you also looking at prices for a Freedom-class ship? Should I maybe hold off buying this until I see an actual discount applied?

VOOM package offerings 04-12-2017.png

Guest toodle68

The normal price is 11.99 and I recently paid 8.99 during a discount period.. Currently price on my dec cruise is 14.99 and I will wait until that comes down to purchase.. 

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Were you also looking at prices for a Freedom-class ship? Should I maybe hold off buying this until I see an actual discount applied?

Harmony, although I also cross checked against Empress and Oasis.

1 hour ago, toodle68 said:

The normal price is 11.99 and I recently paid 8.99 during a discount period.. Currently price on my dec cruise is 14.99 and I will wait until that comes down to purchase.. 

To clarify, $11.99 was the old discounted price and that $8.99 price was a super-awesome discount we saw earlier this year.

The onboard price remains $17.99.

21 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Have they completely abandoned the surf only package ?

It's only available onboard it seems.

20 minutes ago, arebee said:

Not seeing a discount.  More like an increase.

More like the discount available is less than it was.  This might be splitting hairs, but I feel like if we say "the price went up", it infers something different than RC offering a 20% discount instead of a 35% discount.

We just got off the NOS on Sunday and our pre-purchase discount was 30% for Surf + Stream. Surf only was available for purchase on ship only.

For what it's worth, on the NOS at least, the VOOM service sign on is easy...but the service as a whole...is an embarrassment to RCL.

I decided to try and put a 4-device plan in my cart to see the total price for our 8-nighter, but when I did that I could only select myself and my wife -- my kids couldn't be added on (they're in a connecting cabin / separate reservation). :42_confused: Also, it looked like 2 packages were bought by selecting my wife and myself.

Is this like renting a cabana? I should just buy the package for one person and then give the login credentials to my wife and kids? It doesn't say for this, unlike the cabana rental where it's very clearly said "just buy for one person, not everyone in your party."

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I decided to try and put a 4-device plan in my cart to see the total price for our 8-nighter, but when I did that I could only select myself and my wife -- my kids couldn't be added on (they're in a connecting cabin / separate reservation). :42_confused: Also, it looked like 2 packages were bought by selecting my wife and myself.

Is this like renting a cabana? I should just buy the package for one person and then give the login credentials to my wife and kids? It doesn't say for this, unlike the cabana rental where it's very clearly said "just buy for one person, not everyone in your party."

VOOM packages are based on how many devices are connected at one time. You can share the code they give you on the ship, but if one person is on they can either share that device or logoff and someone can login from another device.

TIP: Put the login code in a notepad or something else on the device(s), then copy and paste when you need it. 

14 minutes ago, Gears said:

VOOM packages are based on how many devices are connected at one time. You can share the code they give you on the ship, but if one person is on they can either share that device or logoff and someone can login from another device.

TIP: Put the login code in a notepad or something else on the device(s), then copy and paste when you need it. 

OK, so I just buy one 4-device package for myself and then give the login to my other family members. Sounds good!

And that is totally like renting the cabana. Wish the site would have made that clear!

11 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

OK, so I just buy one 4-device package for myself and then give the login to my other family members. Sounds good!

And that is totally like renting the cabana. Wish the site would have made that clear!

Correct.  And I agree, it is very confusing.

Ok, with this math change now for my upcoming 10 night Serenade in November. (I've not purchased Voom yet)

Full price ($17.99/day) is $179.90

Buy online at the new $14.39/day is $143.90

Waiting to buy onboard at full price and getting the D+ discount (2 days equivalent cost, or $35.98) is $143.92

I save 2 cents by pre-buying.  Not much cash incentive but I've noticed that when pre-buying its already activated and when buying onboard they sometimes don't even open the system up for purchase till early afternoon.

9 hours ago, PRC said:

I save 2 cents by pre-buying.  Not much cash incentive but I've noticed that when pre-buying its already activated and when buying onboard they sometimes don't even open the system up for purchase till early afternoon.

There's another benefit to pre-purchasing: you don't have a large(r) SeaPass bill at the end of your cruise and you don't eat through your OBC in 15 minutes of being onboard.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:24 PM, Gears said:

...because if you are using an iPhone, you'll have to log in EVERY TIME YOU USE YOUR DEVICE.  It was a right PITA on Rhapsody two weeks ago.  Check email, put phone in pocket, then remember something, and you have to log in all over again.  Highly annoying,

3 hours ago, bcarney said:

...because if you are using an iPhone, you'll have to log in EVERY TIME YOU USE YOUR DEVICE.  It was a right PITA on Rhapsody two weeks ago.  Check email, put phone in pocket, then remember something, and you have to log in all over again.  Highly annoying,

Some ships are like that and others not at all.  Anthem and Harmony would keep me logged in for quite a long time.

I remember experiencing what you described on Freedom or Navigator (or maybe both).

18 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Not to make things more confusing...

Just happened to be looking my Symphony sailing today...

$11.99 and it is flagged at 20% off...

Meanwhile FotS is still showing $14.39 a day.

Given there's still almost a year to go. I'm going to try and hold out for the $11.99 rate. We're booking our St. Maarten catamaran and snorkel trip this month (after we figure out which one we want, that is!), so that's quite enough combined with the monthly payment.

Of course, if they ever do another one of those 30% off all excursions deals I'll be frantically cancelling and re-reserving everything (30% off Nellie's Beach on-the-water cabana would be AWESOME!), but better to book and lock the excursions now before things fill up!

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Given there's still almost a year to go. I'm going to try and hold out for the $11.99 rate.

No reason to wait.  If you want Voom, buy it at the current rate and if it goes down you can cancel and repurchase it.  If you wait and for some weird reason it goes up...

34 minutes ago, Sarah said:

I sail on Indy in June; Voom is advertised at £11.51 per day for surf and stream (1 device), no discount.  Do you think there will be an offer on this?  Any idea how much a surf only package will be on board?

Thanks,

Sarah

The onboard price has consistently been $17.99USD/device if I recall.  If you want it, purchase it now and if it goes on sale you should be able to cancel your Cruise Planner purchase and repurchase - I don't think that's any different in the UK.

On 18/04/2017 at 1:41 PM, monorailmedic said:

The onboard price has consistently been $17.99USD/device if I recall.  If you want it, purchase it now and if it goes on sale you should be able to cancel your Cruise Planner purchase and repurchase - I don't think that's any different in the UK.

As a UK cruiser I don't know if I can book and then cancel / change if the price drops - I can't when booking the actual cruise but don't know with extras

34 minutes ago, Sarah said:

As a UK cruiser I don't know if I can book and then cancel / change if the price drops - I can't when booking the actual cruise but don't know with extras

Go into the cruise planner (if you have already purchased something) and click "order history" then see if you have the option to cancel for each item.  I'm curious.