Travelling with a minor (and divorced from mother) -- Documentation questions

TexanTwoStep

I searched RC's website and the documentation requirements for minors are vague, at best, so I figured someone here may know...

My son (14) will be traveling with us on Voyager of the Seas in June 2023.   According to his mother, his passport is expired.  I have a certified copy of his birth certificate.  My question is -- what are the exact documentation requirements for traveling with a minor where both bio parents won't be travelling?  From what I read we will need:

- Divorce decree (unknown if I need a certified copy or not)

- Photo ID (a problem, since he does not have a photo ID...I can possibly get his passport renewed)

- Original/certified copy of birth certificate

Is there anything more that we will need (notarized letter from his mother, etc).  I'd like to get this squared away ASAP so I'm not stressing come June 🙂

Thanks in advance for your help!

If they are under 16, you just need a birth certificate, no photo id. Over 16, you need a photo id. I am doing the same in March.  Oldest over 16 has a passport, but the two younger ones don’t and are under 16, so just certified copy of their birth certificates. I will bring my divorce decree, but will not offer it unless they ask.  As long as one parent has the same last name, they usually don’t ask questions. Also, I have a notarized note from mom, but like the decree, won’t offer it unless asked. My experience is that if you offer these up front, red flags go up even though you have the docs. Let them raise the flag, don’t raise the flag for them. Finally, if your last name is different from what’s on the birth certificate, perhaps because of a remarriage, you need to bring those docs to support all of your name changes.

We traveled with our Grand son before we adopted him and carried a copy of the custody papers along with his passport. We also carried the adoption papers till we had all the name changes completed.  We got the passport because we like cruising and it makes things easy. Usually the officers directing people in the customs area try to direct us to the birth certificate line as they don't expect a 10 YO to have one but they smile when he flashes his card at them . 

We were never ask for any of the custody/adoption documents and and as Doomslayer said we never offered them in advance. Having the papers just gives you a piece of mind that you don't have to worry if something did come up. 

My sister cruises with her minor daughter, divorced from the dad. She had to get the passport paperwork notarized by him, but other than that she did not need any additional documentation, but that may be because she travelled with the passport. She does bring a notarized letter of consent to travel from her dad just to be safe, but has never had to present it. She and her daughter do not share a last name, so we expected pushback, and got none.

When my parents took my children on a cruise, with their passports, I provided notarized letters of consent and medical authority. No one ever asked to see anything. 

The notorized letter of permission to travel is important to have even if it's just one parent (not divorced) traveling out of the country with children.  You may not need to present it, but if something happens, things could get sticky.  You likely won't even need it, but it costs nothing and gains everything.  Also, it's not a bad idea to have the passport renewed--it's good for 5 years for minors, is good for european travel, and gives him a photo id if it's never needed.  But obviously if cost is a factor, you don't need it.  Jane

If you look through RCCL FAQ page, they provide a form that one could use.  I had my grandson’s mother (my son is bio dad) fill it out & get it notarized when he cruised with us.  We also got him a passport.  We had to show the letter at check in.  This was Mariner in 2020.

When we took our grandchildren with us a notarized letter from the parents was tucked away in case of emergency along with a copy of insurance coverage. We made sure they had either a passport or passport card for ease of travel and it made them feel more important. Our divorced son is taking his children on a cruise this spring and will have the same notarized letter and insurance from their mother to make sure of no hiccups.