Galveston hotel with cruise shuttle?

Sunny_D

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Galveston that currently provides a shuttle to the new cruise terminal? We won’t be driving, so don’t need a “park and cruise” package, just the shuttle. I’ve found some articles online, but most are several years old (pre Covid), and many of the hotels listed specifically say on their own websites that they don’t have a shuttle. Also, a couple (Tremont and Harbor House) mention being walkable to the port but this looks like it’s in reference to the old port, with the newer one being farther away. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

8 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Would you consider just taking a taxi? We booked a decent family hotel for much less (at least $100 if not more) than we would have paid for a place within walking distance or with a shuttle knowing that we'd pay $20 for a taxi in the morning. 

We wouldn’t mind doing that, but I had heard somewhere (possibly a commenter on this blog), that in Galveston it can be really hard to get a taxi or Uber/Lyft if you have an earlier embarkation time, as most of the drivers will opt instead for the more lucrative route of picking up disembarking passengers and taking them all the way to one of Houston’s airports.

4 hours ago, Sunny_D said:

We wouldn’t mind doing that, but I had heard somewhere (possibly a commenter on this blog), that in Galveston it can be really hard to get a taxi or Uber/Lyft if you have an earlier embarkation time, as most of the drivers will opt instead for the more lucrative route of picking up disembarking passengers and taking them all the way to one of Houston’s airports.

I wonder how many people are still using taxis to get from the cruise terminal to the airport with all of the ride shares currently available at the port. I took advice from a poster on another message board forum who said they easily got a taxi in the morning from their hotel. I guess I can ask the night before when we check in to the hotel if they can pre-reserve one for us... I also wonder if some of them might be back already? For people disembarking at 7:30am and going to airport, let's say 2.5-3 hours round trip? I'd guess they'd be back in the Galveston area by 10-10:30am which would be fine for a 11am embarkation time, no?

It has been many, many years since I last cruised from Galveston so people more familiar with the port, please chime in! There's also this whole thread but so, so long to read all of it...  

Actually, I read that in the thread posted above, not another forum! Read page 18 there for people's experiences with rideshare and taxi in the morning of embarkation. One person had trouble but two others had no issues. I wonder if Lyft is the hardest to book since it goes into the terminal. I feel like taxis would be the least desirable option for a trip to the airport. 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, jbrinkm said:

There's also this whole thread but so, so long to read all of it...  

Thanks for linking to my thread! It IS a long thread but I try to keep the original post updated on a regular basis so folks can always have the latest update on my recommendations.