Ride Share Port Everglades 2022

GoGoGoldie

Can ride shares(Uber/Lyft) take you all the way to the terminal or do they have to stop at security at the Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades cruise port? Also, does anyone have estimate of how much Royal Caribbean transfers are from the airport to cruise port compared to ride shares? Or even have a preference of what is a better option? The 1 and only time I've cruised before was with a large group and my kids so it made sense to just use Royal Caribbean transfers from airport. This time it's just me and my hubby so I feel like we have more of an option. I didn't mind the large bus filled with people last time, but, I was thinking if it isn't much of a price difference, then why not have a private drive.

Port Everglades is a major fuel depot for all of South Florida so it is a secure maritime facility.  Everyone entering the port has to show ID.  The rideshare drivers have to show their Uber or Lyft "manifest" proving they are performing a service and not just a person in a car with no business interest visiting the port.  All passengers have to show ID as well so be prepared.  

It's not a big deal but I routinely seem to get a rideshare driver that has never done it.  Many times I get rideshare drivers with few english skills.  If the security person at the port entrance doesn't speak spanish it can make for a challenging arrival.  An Uber/Lyft driver has a place in their app where it produces a manifest they have to show security and for a first time driver entering the port it can be a brief challenge to overcome.  They also can't have a firearm.  Entering the port with a weapon is a huge problem.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Port Everglades is a major fuel depot for all of South Florida so it is a secure maritime facility.  Everyone entering the port has to show ID.  The rideshare drivers have to show their Uber or Lyft "manifest" proving they are performing a service and not just a person in a car with no business interest visiting the port.  All passengers have to show ID as well so be prepared.  

It's not a big deal but I routinely seem to get a rideshare driver that has never done it.  Many times I get rideshare drivers with few english skills.  If the security person at the port entrance doesn't speak spanish it can make for a challenging arrival.  An Uber/Lyft driver has a place in their app where it produces a manifest they have to show security and for a first time driver entering the port it can be a brief challenge to overcome.  They also can't have a firearm.  Entering the port with a weapon is a huge problem.  

Do you ask the driver if they are carrying a sidearm before you take the ride? I could see this would be a major hassle and a delay if they didn’t have the wherewithal to know not to carry inside the port. 

17 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Do you ask the driver if they are carrying a sidearm before you take the ride? I could see this would be a major hassle and a delay if they didn’t have the wherewithal to know not to carry inside the port. 

I don't ask.  Mostly because they don't speak english and I don't speak spanish.  

14 hours ago, twangster said:

It's not a big deal but I routinely seem to get a rideshare driver that has never done it.  Many times I get rideshare drivers with few english skills

this was our situation as well, our driver didn’t have a “laminated” license but had a paper much like what we got in KY when we upgraded to RealIDs and had to wait.the first person wasn’t going to let them in but a supervisor let us through.  Our driver had only been with Lyft a month and had little English and we had to help translate a bit.  It was weird and odd enough that we made a report to Lyft to hopefully improve services in the future.

• 2 weeks later...