Change in Frequency of Housekeeping Service

On 12/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, steverk said:

Sailing allure right now. Asked my attendant.  He said they have been told only 1 service per day starting in January. He was very concerned how he will be able to properly clean 25 rooms by 1pm on turnaround days.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:10 PM, smokeybandit said:

I hadn't thought of that aspect of it. A valid concern indeed.

On 12/13/2022 at 4:31 PM, CruiseGus said:

We might just have to wait a little longer for room access in the future

Interesting observation. This could be something that drives the Key.  People who purchase the Key could be guaranteed cabin availability by 1 pm, and the non-Key people would have access "beginning early afternoon" or something equally as non-committal.  Not saying Royal will or won't do this, but if the 25 rooms by 1 pm on turnaround day thing is a problem for stews, that's a seemingly perfect solution (i.e., one that reinforces or even grows a revenue stream).  4d chess going on in a Miami board room? 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:12 AM, Riley said:

This can be "all of the above"; reducing loads of laundry both cuts costs and is environmentally friendly. Less water, detergent etc. is used, fewer laundry employees are needed, linens wear out more slowly, and so on. Fewer employees mean raises and cost-reductions are both possible, as employee costs on ship are not just salaries but food costs, benefits, etc.  It's not gaslighting, though it's also not admitting "plus we want to make more money!" and as a public company, RCL wants to make more money (Heck as a private citizen, so do I!). 

I will stay with Royal because I like the people and the itineraries. I could not give a hoot about towel animals, but I don't cruise with kids either. That might make a difference.

Why not Celebrity?

I, too, would miss the evening turn-down service with the compass (if they even print them anymore), and towel animals - especially if we took a nap during the day if it was a sea day or we decided to stay on the ship. 

One of the cruises my parents went on last year - they had a room next to theirs that was padlocked and the stateroom attendants were definitely not saying why. They figured COVID or some other illness but why PADLOCK a room?  It was odd and scary to say the least...I guess we'll never know the reason but I hope they weren't locking someone inside. 

39 minutes ago, Maggie M said:

I hope they weren't locking someone inside. 

Without knowing the specifics of the applicable maritime law(s), I would be fairly confident in saying that padlocking a passenger inside a cabin would be an egregious safety violation.  I have heard of passengers being secured in their quarters with posted guard(s) (for various reasons) but I cannot imagine that they would EVER lock someone inside.

More than likely, the room was either a crime scene or someone had been in this room that had some medical condition (COVID ?) and they were merely securing it against accidental entry until it was properly sanitized.

Just a guess...

I personally do not mind this. I have many questions, but i am sure all will be revealed if this is true. Like other people have said, my only concern is with bed setup. Also a little worried because we always ask for ice in our room (but we can cross that bridge when we come to it). One thing that I do occasionally that could help with some of yall's towel concerns, is that I use pool towels for showers.

2 hours ago, OvKSodaR said:

One thing that I do occasionally that could help with some of yall's towel concerns, is that I use pool towels for showers.

Our next cruise leaves on the 14th...guess we will see what the setup is. We have a JS so not sure if that makes a difference on service. Your pool towel suggestion is a good one and will probably grab a couple for the room the first day. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Jmccaffrey said:

Agreed but  Currently they have 15 room 2 times = 30 cleaning .... They are moving to 25 rooms one cleaning per day = 25 cleaning. So it is about the same work load or a bit less.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, Jmccaffrey said:

Honestly I don't need the room done 2 times per day. This is one cut that may benefit the cabin attendant (with increase tips payout) and the Company (saving money on less cabin attendant) without harming us.... I am all for it.

Honestly, we too, don't need the room done 2 times daily...especially on a day when we spend a lot of time in the room...

On our November transatlantic cruise we didn't meet or see our stateroom attendant until day 4.  Our request for daily ice only happened 50% of the time.  Our attendant said the number of staterooms he serviced was much larger.

Clearly the gap between the family / budget cruise segment like Carnival and Royal Caribbean has widened from the upscale Viking / Oceana / Regent Seven Seas segment.

I can live with single housekeeping but know this probably means checking out additional pool towels and searching for ice.  The free market is speaking.  I'm Diamond Plus and will still book RCL but am clearly adding Viking and Oceana into the vacation planning process.

9 hours ago, barjpoe said:

It would be nice if we could take the ice bucket to get it filled somewhere.

i've kept (read: hidden after the first request from our cabin steward) and then either taken it to the closest bar, the WJ, or cafe 270/park cafe to fill with ice myself the next time i needed to. works great and then you know you'll have the ice when you want it.

I don't know when this service will start as once a day but currently aboard and it is still twice a day. I always request ice; my steward has been bringing it during his morning refresh and it is melted when I come back to the room to freshen up before dinner. The cooler in the room is not nearly large enough for the ice bucket to fit inside, which is what I normally do when they bring ice during day. He looks absolutely worn out, so I haven't asked him to make any changes. 

Same with us (SY). Still getting service twice a day.  Our room attendant asked if we wanted our ice in the morning or afternoon and we chose the afternoon.  It has worked great for us on this sailing.  Our room attendant is fantastic but, like @Ampurp85, our attendant is being run ragged.  He seems to be working 24 hours a day !  Not sure when the new room service schedule will begin.

We are also still on 2x day housekeeping (Anthem). My stateroom attendant is terrified of the upcoming-at-some-point change when he will have 25 rooms to service, potentially cleaning up after 50 people/day. He is usually working the rooms until close to 2 pm as it is and then back a couple of hours later. Still getting towels animals (3 so far on day 8 of 11). We are also still on old menus. 

11 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

OK, about to be ....Once a day. 

Not yet. I think people have lumped CCL announcement with RCG. Grain of salt and all that.

My Steward said they will be gradually easing down to more limited service. So, it is possible they my start out the same way Celebrity did by offering an incentive to reduce the service. 

I haven't noticed any changes on my last cruise, but I actually prefer just having them come once a day.  I feel weird when I go back and forth to my cabin and catch my attendant doing my room. Makes me feel like I have to stay away so they can work.  i don't need my towels changed that often and you don't need to make my bed.  Just leave me with enough TP and I'm good. Oh and a towel animal surprise. 

Well, now we went from it's coming to it hasn't been announced. Hair splitting maybe? It's been heavily implied.

But as I read the last few posts it was about ice. 

Since they don't have ice machines accessible on every deck, I see that as a problem. And I wonder if having to call and ask will come with a fee attached? (Wouldn't put it past them). 

As far as cleaning goes. I like twice a day. Also cabins are smaller than hotel rooms. Trash, smells, etc ..tend to linger. It's a nice airing out when door is open and cart is blocking it. Plus we all know germs spread faster on a ship. Probably not the best time to cut back on wiping things down. Also I know we have brought sand back on/in shoes, swimming clothes, etc...and it trails and tracks on carpet, bathroom floor, etc. Roomservice plates left around. Most people will just let them sit and stink the place because they are lazy. Overall, just not a good idea. 

My super sweet attendant on Grandeur voiced a concern about the sand when we were discussing the potential cut back in service.  I’d never thought of it but excursions involving a beach bring back lots of sand.  She couldn’t imagine people being too happy with sandy rugs couch, shower, beds….when their service wasn’t due til the next day

maybe i’m the strange one here but, growing up at the beach, we learned to always shower off and shake sand free from our bodies and equipment/stuff. then use your towel to dry off, and shake towels vigorously as well.

while it’s true there is some sand that inevitably clings and lingers, it certainly helps with avoiding sandcastles in your cabin 😂

33 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

maybe i’m the strange one here but, growing up at the beach, we learned to always shower off and shake sand free from our bodies and equipment/stuff. then use your towel to dry off, and shake towels vigorously as well.

while it’s true there is some sand that inevitably clings and lingers, it certainly helps with avoiding sandcastles in your cabin 😂

Showers aren't always available before returning to cabin and we always try but still leave a trail behind. Always sand in cabin on a beach day. Very valid point. And twice as much work for the next day vs a light touch up in evening.

4 hours ago, asquared17 said:

Not everyone grows up with a beach or is aware to clean themselves and their towels, and sand toys, before returning to the ship.    I was a beach goer whenever  my mom would drive us  -I loved it.  I never knew about using baby powder to remove sand until much later in life.  Needless to say us kids did our best (no shower) but we’d inevitably leave the car and apartment sandy.

• 4 weeks later...

Onboard the Anthem….

My room steward says the Anthem will go to once a day room service starting on April 16th. They will give the room stewards assistance and evaluate the process for that first week…to work out any issues. Then the following cruise, April 23rd will be when the policy is in full effect.

20 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Onboard the Anthem….

My room steward says the Anthem will go to once a day room service starting on April 16th. They will give the room stewards assistance and evaluate the process for that first week…to work out any issues. Then the following cruise, April 23rd will be when the policy is in full effect.

So sick of people pointing out it's still twice a day when I bring this subject up. Well....shut up. Here it comes.

just FYI, i used a sand-free towel on our past sailing and found it to be extremely helpful (and lightweight) in keeping us dry and clean. would recommend to any cruisers going ashore -- used mine when we went to maya chan in costa maya -- as it is lighter than the blue RCCL towels and stayed dry, soft and great for use on the pool deck as well.

will now no longer travel without it!!

12/10 would recommend, and saves you the pesky towel return trips/fees!!

https://www.amazon.com/ECCOSOPHY-Microfiber-Beach-Towel-Lightweight/dp/B08DR26LB6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2V60W6LVCCTVX&keywords=eccosophy+towel&qid=1676827476&sprefix=eccosophy+towel%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-5

1 hour ago, NotPayinExtra said:

The your gonna die stuff. Completely out of line. This has been reported.

If you read the post plus the one it was in relation to you will see that poster was not being offensive just making a VERY POORLY worded comparison! 

I get what poster is saying! that being that everyone knows things are going to happen in the future but just because its not happened today we dont have to keep on mentioning it. 

20 minutes ago, Ray said:

If you read the post plus the one it was in relation to you will see that poster was not being offensive just making a VERY POORLY worded comparison! 

I get what poster is saying! that being that everyone knows things are going to happen in the future but just because its not happened today we dont have to keep on mentioning it. 

My apologies, it was clearly poorly worded.  I see you get the point @Ray and thanks for that, but the point is lesser than the offense I caused.  I didn't intend to cause that offense, but I did and I own it.  I don't ever intend to be mean spirited, but as the speaker, the responsibility of communication was with me and I failed in that attempt. 

I wish everyone here the best, always.  Even those with whom I debate or disagree.  I was over the line.