Change in Frequency of Housekeeping Service

12 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i don’t know that i’ve ever received chocolates on the pillow 🧐 

maybe i did once when we were sky class but certainly not JS or below. 

When we first started cruising (about 20 years ago) we did get chocolates; but that didn't last. In my opinion I think there were too many people just falling into bed (hangovers?) and didn't see the them so they slept on them, chocolate face? or messy pillow.  I also remember (pre-pandemic) Celebrity did it. Not sure if they still do. 

3 hours ago, barjpoe said:

When we first started cruising (about 20 years ago) we did get chocolates; but that didn't last. In my opinion I think there were too many people just falling into bed (hangovers?) and didn't see the them so they slept on them, chocolate face? or messy pillow.  I also remember (pre-pandemic) Celebrity did it. Not sure if they still do. 

I used to love the chocolate mint on my pillow each evening.  I remember cruising on Sovereign ots over the holidays in '89 or '90 and coming back to the cabin after dinner on Christmas evening and having a full size special edition Lladro on the bed.  I understand times change, cost cutting, that Royal had to borrow $42B in debt during covid to survive, yada yada yada but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  Cruising on Royal is still an amazing vacation but with all of the continual cost cutting over the years, right up to today with the latest menu cut backs, room service changes...., most people will never know how amazing it once was.  

On 12/5/2022 at 11:29 AM, bobroo said:

The two servicings is as much a security issue as it is a nice way to leave a towel animal reading the Cruise Compass so they are not going away.

towel animals have been cut back -it’s been about 3 per 7 day sailing.  Mind you I have no children traveling with me,  perhaps the kiddies get one daily?

32 minutes ago, Jmccaffrey said:

Honestly I don't need the room done 2 times per day. This is one cut that may benefit the cabin attendant (with increase tips payout) and the Company (saving money on less cabin attendant) without harming us.... I am all for it.

Room steward may get more tips, but also would have more rooms to service

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Room steward may get more tips, but also would have more rooms to service

Agreed but  Currently they have 15 room 2 times = 30 cleaning .... They are moving to 25 rooms one cleaning per day = 25 cleaning. So it is about the same work load or a bit less.

7 hours ago, Jmccaffrey said:

Honestly I don't need the room done 2 times per day. This is one cut that may benefit the cabin attendant (with increase tips payout) and the Company (saving money on less cabin attendant) without harming us.... I am all for it.

First, I couldn't care less what benefits the cabin attendant. Second, I see smaller to no tips at all for less work. And most importantly noticeable work like towel animals in evening etc. I think it's the realization that the person has come again, Making people feel special that starts the tipping thought process in many minds. They will get little to nothing from me if I see them once a day. It's the extra something that gets the extra something. I think this is a big mistake.

14 hours ago, FireFishII said:

Alas, on my 6 day cruise, I only got 1 animal.  So sad. 

On 12/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, Pattycruise said:

towel animals have been cut back -it’s been about 3 per 7 day sailing.  Mind you I have no children traveling with me,  perhaps the kiddies get one daily?

I asked about the towel animals on our last sailing, the answer....it's a cost savings "green" thing. My stateroom attendant said the towel animals must be laundered every time, so every animal, (all the towels used to make it)  every cabin demands extra towel laundry thus costing in this area. I thought it had to do with time management, but it's under the saving energy etc. umbrella. Who knew? Not me! Just wow! 

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

I asked about the towel animals on our last sailing, the answer....it's a cost savings "green" thing. My stateroom attendant said the towel animals must be laundered every time, so every animal, (all the towels used to make it)  every cabin demands extra towel laundry thus costing in this area. I thought it had to do with time management, but it's under the saving energy etc. umbrella. Who knew? Not me! Just wow! 

Last two cruises (Sept and Nov) we only got 2 towel animals each 7 day cruise.  Seems like this is now the standard.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, smokeybandit said:

There's always a catch though.

If a room steward only services a room once per day, where does that time go? Would they just work more at their secondary job?   Would they just hire less stewards and split the room servicing half morning/half evening?

Think . Less staff = less services. The room stewards now clean more rooms.  They are not going anywhere.  Once a day is fine with me.  Even when I stay at hotels for a week, I tell the maid to come every second day.   You will now begin to notice all the changes as a result of lockdown and losses incurred by Royal and other cruise lines.  You want extra luxury? Open up your wallet and go to Oceana or Regent cruise line. 

14 hours ago, Neesa said:

If I promise to hang up my towels so they don’t have to wash them daily can I get more towel animals?  (Sorta kidding)

this weeks sailing the bath mat has been left on my floor every other day.  One day it was totally gone.  I’ve no idea if this is a “new thing” or an attendant who forgets 

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

If I promise to hang up my towels so they don’t have to wash them daily can I get more towel animals?  (Sorta kidding)

this weeks sailing the bath mat has been left on my floor every other day.  One day it was totally gone.  I’ve no idea if this is a “new thing” or an attendant who forgets 

The problem is, even if you hang up your towels (meaning you'll use them again) they are likely to be switched out anyway.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The problem is, even if you hang up your towels (meaning you'll use them again) they are likely to be switched out anyway.

I have never had this happen. I use my dry off towel at least twice, meaning I hang up and they leave it. 

I got a towel animal on one night for both a 5n Harmony and 6n Odyssey sailing in Nov. Worse it was a squirrel and mouse, the tiniest of towel animals. 

16 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Just got off Enchantment.  My hung up towels stayed there.  For some reason the bath mat also stayed (wet on the floor) and it even disappeared with no replacement.  2 towel animals days. 

If they only clean once a day they had better leave us a lot of towels. I have never had a towel dry fast enough to use a second time. I don't mind reusing a towel, I do at home, but I refuse to use a damp towel to dry off with.

I would also wager there will be a LOT more plates, cups, etc, in the hallways.

49 minutes ago, Mike n Ky said:

If they only clean once a day they had better leave us a lot of towels. I have never had a towel dry fast enough to use a second time. I don't mind reusing a towel, I do at home, but I refuse to use a damp towel to dry off with.

I would also wager there will be a LOT more plates, cups, etc, in the hallways.

And problem is hall's aren't that wide to begin with. Really they will need someone on each floor ready to deliver extra towels when called and to walk up and down removing dirty dishes. 

we wound up declining evening service at least twice on odyssey last week (the first night and one of the middle nights) -- instead we just asked for extra towels and we were fine. though i will say that while we already bring our own microfiber/quick dry towel for our hair (thick/long hair problems 🤣), we were definitely running low on dry towels if we didn't have evening service.

i'm with @WAAAYTOOO, i prefer morning service so that the room is clean and refreshed when we come back mid-day or at late afternoon to change for dinner, etc. that said, i would happily forgo the evening service as long as we get more towels since we tend to shower 2x a day (after morning workout and pre-dinner) each.

• 2 weeks later...

So it has nothing to do with making it easier on the crew...or anything to do with the lack of new employees. They are eliminating positions. Both onboard and shoreside. At least they're letting current crewmembers complete their existing contracts before letting them go.

So the workload will increase for those who remain employed. I wonder if their pay will increase...doubtful as that would fly in the face of their cost-cutting.

Pretty cynical to try and couch this as an environmentally-friendly action when it's just about profits. In my opinion, they're just gaslighting by claiming they're taking these actions because they want to help save our planet. They're doing this because they want to save expenses and increase their own profits.

Frank DelRio was clear when he indicated that NCL would rather raise prices and fees and sail at lesser capacity with loyal customers...instead of lowering prices and sailing at higher capacity with new and return cruisers. That is NCL's post-shutdown strategy. 

I think that will backfire.... but, who am I?

I am an Ambassador on NCL (Pinnacle equivalent) and decided to sail Royal after the return. Now I'm Pinnacle. I feel I'm in a good position to compare prices, services, ships and...especially...loyalty programs.

It's Royal! Hands down!

Just my humble opinion.

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

So it has nothing to do with making it easier on the crew...or anything to do with the lack of new employees. They are eliminating positions. Both onboard and shoreside. At least they're letting current crewmembers complete their existing contracts before letting them go.

Pretty cynical to try and couch this as an environmentally-friendly action when it's just about profits. In my opinion, they're just gaslighting by claiming they're taking these actions because they want to help save our planet. They're doing this because they want to save expenses and increase their own profits.

I sensed this from the beginning.  I totally agree with you.  Cost-cutting while telling us it will "enhance our onboard experience".  LOL

On 12/6/2022 at 4:44 PM, Pattycruise said:

On our most recent sailing on Explorer earlier this month, we had one for our entire 6 night sailing.

NCL just announced service cut back beginning January 8, 2023.  For any passenger not staying in a Haven Suite their housekeeping will be reduced to once daily across the entire fleet.  NCL will roll this change out over the next few months but expects the roll out to be done by March 31, 2023. NCL is claiming they are making this change to be more environmentally friendly and that may be part of the reason but according to Cruise Hive this move is nothing more than a cost cutting move, which will save NCL an unspecified amount of money. 

As this change is rolled out there is some good news and bad news for NCL employees.  NCL has Stateroom Attendants and Junior Stateroom Attendants, as these changes are rolled out NCL will phase out the Junior Stateroom Attendant position in accordance with the employees contract this will result in a slight pay increase for all current Junior Stateroom Attendants.  However for NCL employees who already are Stateroom Attendants according to Cruise Hive they will see their pay CUT.  Right now Stateroom Attendants on NCL ships make more money than Junior Stateroom Attendants, this new change will result all Stateroom Attendants making the same amount of money.  Those who have already been promoted to Stateroom Attendant through dedication and longevity are about to see their paychecks get smaller a notion that probably isn't going to go over well with some long term NCL employees.  All of this despite the fact NCL is raising gratuities across the board for all passengers in non-Haven suites to $20 dollars beginning January 1st, to $4 dollar per person per day increase.  Passengers in Haven suites will see their gratuities increase to $25 dollars per person per day but thus far Haven passengers will NOT see a decrease in service to their staterooms. 

Cruise Hive speculates this move by NCL could result in fewer stateroom attendants  since they would only be cleaning rooms once a day.  Lets not forget NCL just a few weeks ago announce a 9% reduction in its shoreside staff in a similar move that was painted as a benefit for passengers.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cuts-back-on-passenger-service/91452

With cruise fares being up across the board, I think the last thing people want to see are these cuts to service while having to pay higher gratuities.  I completely understand cruise lines took on a ton of debt to stay afloat during the pandemic and entire shut down of their industry but with all of these service cuts on top of the increases we've seen in cruise fares, gratuities, beverage packages ECT are cruise lines running the risk of delivering themselves a self inflicted wound?  As popular as cruising has become over the past 11-13 years customers could easily revert back to other types of vacation if they perceive that cruising is no longer the value that really help grow the industries popularity.

I'm a cruise loyalist, I enjoy cruising right now the price isn't a deterrent for me.  But can this industry with all of these mega ships, new ships survive off loyalist alone or do they need to keep attracting new customers and repeat customers who may not necessarily be loyalist like many of us on this site are? 

On 11/27/2022 at 7:57 AM, twangster said:

I don't have a problem with this and often tell my cabin attendant not to service the cabin in the morning.  

When you lose $43B USD there are bound to be service adjustments.  It's well known they've had a hard time recruiting crew so yes, gratuity has increased as they've had to entice recruits with higher compensation.  

I can echo this comment. However once this precedent has initiated, I cant see it being reversed. Things are changing rapidly. For the people who want all this extra services and amenities, they might need to look at luxury cruise lines such as Regent, Silverseas, etc. and Im sure they have their own cutbacks as well.  Further with the noted billions in losses, it would not surprise me to see more bankruptcies in the future.... I would start with Carnival... look at the stock prices.  

On 12/29/2022 at 8:32 AM, BrianB said:

So the workload will increase for those who remain employed. I wonder if their pay will increase...doubtful as that would fly in the face of their cost-cutting.

Frank DelRio was clear when he indicated that NCL would rather raise prices and fees and sail at lesser capacity with loyal customers...instead of lowering prices and sailing at higher capacity with new and return cruisers. That is NCL's post-shutdown strategy. 

I think that will backfire.... but, who am I?

I am an Ambassador on NCL (Pinnacle equivalent) and decided to sail Royal after the return. Now I'm Pinnacle. I feel I'm in a good position to compare prices, services, ships and...especially...loyalty programs.

It's Royal! Hands down!

Just my humble opinion.

This can be "all of the above"; reducing loads of laundry both cuts costs and is environmentally friendly. Less water, detergent etc. is used, fewer laundry employees are needed, linens wear out more slowly, and so on. Fewer employees mean raises and cost-reductions are both possible, as employee costs on ship are not just salaries but food costs, benefits, etc.  It's not gaslighting, though it's also not admitting "plus we want to make more money!" and as a public company, RCL wants to make more money (Heck as a private citizen, so do I!). 

I will stay with Royal because I like the people and the itineraries. I could not give a hoot about towel animals, but I don't cruise with kids either. That might make a difference.