Can you travel having cancer?

Last week I was diagnosed with NPC cancer with a 2 inch tumor in my nasal cavity. Next week I have my first Oncologist visit, PET scan and a radiation consultation. I’ve had a cruise booked for almost a year on Harmony on December 10th with my daughter and grandchildren. I really want to go as I just don’t know what is going to happen after and might not get this chance again. It’s been 3 weeks when they found the tumor and I feel no different and can’t see how another couple weeks would make much of a difference. Then start treatment when I get back. Am I being selfish?

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope for the best for you.

This may be a discussion you should have with your doctors first to get their thoughts.

A cancer diagnosis does not preclude you from going on a cruise but individual circumstances and progression of treatment will vary from one person to the next.  There is no single answer yes or no answer to your question, it's something best sorted out with your caregivers.  

I am so sorry at your news.You may want to consider your vulnerability to contracting Covid whilst on the ship ...it may delay your treatment when you get off due to lowered immunity if you have to have chemo/radiation.as @smokeybandit says your doctor is the only person to guide you with this decision..stay well😘

Definitely between you and your doctors.  Follow their advice.  I'm guessing it will depend on how aggressive your type is.

I took a cruise in 2018 to celebrate end of interferon injections for stage 3 melanoma.  Used sunscreen heavy that trip because I had an oncology appointment days after returning.  She would have kick my arse had I come back burnt :-). I have my last PET scan (#10) in a couple weeks before being declared "cured."

Hang in there...

I’m sorry you are going through this. The answer to can you cruise with cancer is yes. But the more important question of should you cruise with cancer is not so easy. This becomes a personal question and conversation you should have with your doctor.  I don’t think anyone here can truly answer that question for you. I wish you all the best on your journey to recovery. 

Sometimes based on the severity it can be a few weeks waiting for an appointment to start treatment. (Mother in law had something similar) Maybe first available date will be after trip? If not it's fate telling you do treatment first and plan trip bigger and better next year. Mother in law had it at 85 and is 87 now. Still going strong. It's not always as bad as we first think. Her cancer is just something in her past now. Sending positive thoughts your way. Soon it will be behind you. Have a great trip whenever you go.

Until you really know what you’re dealing with, you’ll just have to sit tight and discuss with your team. 

My oncologist was very much for living life and not missing big events (weddings, graduations etc).  As someone else said, it could be a couple of weeks before you can start treatment. A lot depends if it’s an aggressive type or slow growing. Then there’s Covid, Flu and RSV going around. Luckily the time after thanksgiving and before Christmas is a slower time for cruising. You certainly don’t want to get sick before starting treatment 

Hoping you can go but if not, plan a big one after treatment. I had an awesome “I kicked cancer’s ass” cruise on oasis with close friends. 

Best of luck to you! I’m a little over 6 years cancer free from stage 4b endometrial cancer. It’s not a death sentence anymore. Be sure to ask for genomic testing on the tissue to help identify the best treatment drugs. 

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I wish you the best, I echo what many have said. The important thing is to talk with your doctors. I am all for living your best life while you can. If treatment starts after your cruise, just take the necessary precautions. It is not selfish to want to enjoy time with your family, especially given the circumstances. 

Had talk with Oncologist today, and he pretty much said I should have no problem with the trip. There are more test and radiology mold to be made and a port to be put in before treatment can start, so I have a little time. Big smile now, but don’t look forward to 5+ months of treatment after. But I will fully enjoy this trip like it’s my last.

35 minutes ago, Templecruiser said:

Had talk with Oncologist today, and he pretty much said I should have no problem with the trip. There are more test and radiology mold to be made and a port to be put in before treatment can start, so I have a little time. Big smile now, but don’t look forward to 5+ months of treatment after. But I will fully enjoy this trip like it’s my last.

I forgot about the mold etc. I told you it could take some time to set up. While on board plan one for the next year. 6 months from now it will be behind you. I've seen it happen. Just keep reminding yourself it's gonna be part of your past. Have a blast.