Wonder diverting to PR (11/25)

brian_md

Posting to see if anyone else is on this cruise. We got notice around 1pm today (11/25) that we had to divert to San Juan for a medical emergency, and now our estimated return to Port Canaveral is 4pm on Sunday 11/27. Just curious what happens in these situations - will we have access to recreation, dining, etc. on Sunday after breakfast?  Would RC still depart on the evening of 11/27 for the next itinerary?

Typically what Royal has done is extend any packages such as drinks, dining and Voom for your extended stay.

The cruise director staff is likely scrambling to build a day of activities and it's common for a new cruise compass to be created, at some point.  Refresh the app and maybe it will be there already.

As far as rooms and such they may ask you to vacate at a certain time so that cabin attendants can prepare room for next cruise guests.  Next cruise guests will likely be boarded late and you can be assured they'll be disappointed but it is what it is, life comes first.  

It's an unfortunate situation for everyone but life comes first.  

14 minutes ago, brian_md said:

Luckily, I was able to make all flight changes without too much added expense. Good to know it will be close to a normal day. No new compass yet, but probably tomorrow morning I am guessing. And if anyone else out there, hope you get home without too much added trouble. 

If you have travel insurance that includes trip delay coverage, the additional costs could be reimbursable.

1 hour ago, NotPayinExtra said:

And this is one of the many, many things that can go wrong. That's why I have a valid passport and trip insurance.

I maintain flexible credit card point currencies for these situations, in lieu of insurance. Not the most economical, but it works for me.  
we also got another update that arrival is now Monday morning 11/28. 11/27 cruisers cannot be pleased. Not completely, but this kind of makes up for not being able to dock at perfect day.  

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I know the coast guard and CDC want ships to avoid medivacs at all costs, but still. A day delay?

Not all medical situations work with helicopter evacuations.  The doctors involved may decide that the patient's condition isn't conducive to a helicopter evac. 

If a helicopter evac is an option given the patient's condition the ship can request that from any local country with that capability but the ship can't demand a helicopter evac.  In the case of the USCG they will evaluate the situation and decide if they'll attempt a helicopter evac.  If the sea state or weather isn't agreeable the USCG will decline a helicopter evac. and the ship has to make a port.

In this case it appears the ship had to go in the wrong director compared to reaching Florida in order to reach the closest port where they can offload the patient.  

marinetraffic.com shows that she had to sail towards San Juan coming from a NorthWest position.  

image.thumb.jpeg.cc78166293f2fdedf7a6a0a7037de27e.jpeg

That isn't necessarily where they were when they diverted, marinetraffic only allows us to see ship poistions caught by land based AIS receiver so she may have been even farther away when they diverted.  

None the less you can see they had to stop sailing towards Florida and sail towards San Juan before they could return to making their way towards Florida.  

There was an announcement around 1pm on 11/25, we turned toward San Juan. As we approached, a small coast guard boat came up alongside and someone boarded the ship. We stopped for like 30 minutes or so at the port in old San Juan. At that time of the announcement, a 4pm arrival was what was estimated. I guess after the overnight, they realized they weren’t making good time or something, and adjusted the arrival.

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They diverted back to San Juan about 200 miles out.

200 NM @ 22 knots = 9 hours.  Plus the time to make port, 30 minutes and then they can begin making the way to Florida.  

sea-distances.org lists the distance from San Juan to Port Canaveral as 1001 NM.  At full speed, if they could maintain full speed given the conditions, that's 1 day and 22 hours.  

Nov. 26 0100 UTC plus 46 hours = Nov. 27 2300 UTC.  (6pm).

That's based on maintaining 22 knots which may not be practical given current and winds or the need to slow down and make turns.  Dropping the average speed from 22 knots to 18 knots adds 10 hours for a 4am ET arrival.  

I have had this happen on other cruises.  We headed  to another port that was not in direction we were traveling, to accommodate  a sick patient.  One time the closest land was 2 days out.   It is inconvenient, but I would want the same if it were me that was ill.   Insurance will cover any additional costs you might  have. 

31 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Apparently they've already conceded that they aren't getting back until Monday and are prepping passengers for the following cruise with the bad news.

Also unknown is what overtime on a Sunday the Canaveral pilots would charge and/or if US CBP would be willing to work after hours Sunday night.

Pushing to Monday morning for a normal 5am arrival to the pilot station may be the best solution for a number of reasons.  Just not one that the next cruise guests will understand. 

It kind of messes with Indy using terminal one on Monday.  With Wonder occupying CT1 on Monday Indy will get pushed to CT6 so those guests will have to bus back to CT1 where their cars are parked.  Since Indy will embark new guests on Monday at CT6 when she comes back on Friday next week she will return to her normal CT1 which means busses again for any one parked at CT6 where they embarked.  

A lot of added expense and a lot of upset guests on two ships even though it is the only and right thing to do.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:04 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Typically they will extend all beverage, dining and internet packages. Plus they will assist if you need to deal with possible airline changes, hotels, etc., and you don't have an internet plan.

We received a few updates. Packages are being extended at a rate of 50% of the average daily rate - this goes for internet, dining, and beverage. Guests without packages can purchase day passes at discounted rates - 50% off internet, 20% off dining. They are covering up to $250 for change fees for domestic flights, $400 for international. Extra loyalty point(s) as well. 

2 hours ago, JazzBassMan said:

Just read a letter from guest services on Reddit that the debarking of passengers is going to begin at 0430? That’s pretty rough. Hopefully that’s just provided as an option and people can stay till normal departure times even with the extra day. 

I hear the 430am time is the option for folks who want to walk off with their luggage.

23 minutes ago, forests_lover said:

Cruise planner is not updating with this delay

Cruise Planner is normally closed 48 hours before a cruise.

Are you on board?  The app schedule that we have access to as the general public off the ship won't be the same as what guests on board have access to on board.  There is refresh link in the app on board that we can't use off the ship.  

If you are on board I'd be curious if this URL works for you from the ship's wifi with or without a paid Voom plan:

https://minio.rccl.com/compass/cruisecompass.pdf

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Cruise Planner is normally closed 48 hours before a cruise.

Are you on board?  The app schedule that we have access to as the general public off the ship won't be the same as what guests on board have access to on board.  There is refresh link in the app on board that we can't use off the ship.  

If you are on board I'd be curious if this URL works for you from the ship's wifi with or without a paid Voom plan:

https://minio.rccl.com/compass/cruisecompass.pdf

Im not onboard, the ship got delayed by 1 day, just curious on how that would reflect on the app

2 hours ago, forests_lover said:

Im not onboard, the ship got delayed by 1 day, just curious on how that would reflect on the app

Probably not perfectly, but the cruise director staff will update and plan new activities that the digital manager on board will get added to the app.  They are probably making announcements reminding guests to refresh the app.  

The URL posted above allows for that's days cruise compass to be downloaded as a PDF file.  Those aren't available off ship either.  On board the URL will point to a local server on the ship.  Not all ships feature a local PDF of the cruise compass so I was curious to see if Wonder did.    

11 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

Here’s the link from Royal’s site.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/notices/travel-updates

To all of those who have asked, "Is my flight home too early?"  This post is for you.  This is a rare occurrence but ships arriving later than planned does happen.  In this extreme case any flight home on Sunday is mute.  On the bright side, given the surge of travelers on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it might be a blessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put a bow on this thread a few weeks later - not that it wasn’t earned already - but RC earned my loyalty with this cruise. Not being able to dock at coco cay, diverting for medical - none of it under their control. Some might say they bought us off with stateroom credits and covering flight fees, but at least they kept us informed, issued timely updates, and adjusted to the interruptions in a seamless manner. never been so at ease with a major travel delay. Being on the wonder definitely helped.