Progression of C&A points

Big Tule

When you are in a "relationship" in the eyes of CAS whoever has the highest number of points determines the level in the program for everyone.  

If your daughter is less than 18 years old she can also be included in the family relationship and share the same level as the highest member.  

Behind the scenes they track everyone's personal points tally and will continue to do so.

Maybe this visual will help this confusing subject.  Each person will earn their own status as a C&A member.  In the example below you have earned Diamond Status, Your husband is only Gold Status, and your child is Emerald based on the 7 cruises.

Now with that said:

1. When you cruise as a family your husband and child will cruise as a Diamond member because you are Diamond, and your child is under 18 years old.
  2. When your child reaches 18, they will hold the status that you have BUT they will not go any higher until they have earned it from their cruising.

image.png.46b9aa168367c83afb66a7d1ee68b342.png

15 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

Maybe this visual will help this confusing subject.  Each person will earn their own status as a C&A member.  In the example below you have earned Diamond Status, Your husband is only Gold Status, and your child is Emerald based on the 7 cruises.

Now with that said:

1. When you cruise as a family your husband and child will cruise as a Diamond member because you are Diamond, and your child is under 18 years old.
  2. When your child reaches 18, they will hold the status that you have BUT they will not go any higher until they have earned it from their cruising.

In your example everyone should be Diamond when they log in.  Their personal points disappear from view but royal knows what it is behind the scenes.

I have just tried to book another cruise for my daughter and I using my C&A and it says it is invalid... but recognises onboard when I am onboard for next set sail when travelling with my husband...should I book this in his name then put myself and daughter as guests or just ring them and book .

tumblr_mly3qxCHJG1s2s7cto1_500.gif

1 hour ago, Big Tule said:

I have just tried to book another cruise for my daughter and I using my C&A and it says it is invalid... but recognises onboard when I am onboard for next set sail when travelling with my husband...should I book this in his name then put myself and daughter as guests or just ring them and book .

You should call and make sure that you have the correct C&A number associated with yourself when trying to book.  I wouldn't book your husband if you don't intend on him sailing. Usually rooms for 3 people charge more for passengers 1 & 2, so it would cost less to just correctly get it booked.

19 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You should call and make sure that you have the correct C&A number associated with yourself when trying to book.  I wouldn't book your husband if you don't intend on him sailing. Usually rooms for 3 people charge more for passengers 1 & 2, so it would cost less to just correctly get it booked.

Thanks for your help I booked sailing under his no but put myself and daughter down as passengers ie 2 guests only... I have not received confirming email yet and deposit is pending in banking account so I will contact them on Monday if things do not progress

5 hours ago, Big Tule said:

Could anybody tell me please, if I cruise with my daughter but not with my husband (for once)will his  C&A be the same as mine next time we cruise together, or will his points always be lower than mine?

This situation happened with me as well except that it was my wife and son that went on a weekend cruise back in March. When checking points once she got back I was surprised to see that my point total also went up the same value as hers. So our point total and status are identical. 

11 hours ago, Big Tule said:

tumblr_mly3qxCHJG1s2s7cto1_500.gif

The booking system doesn't handle certain names well such as names with hyphenation.  This is one example of how the system can have heartburn with a surname and their CAS number. 

The CAS system allows a surname in the CAS database that the booking system doesn't consider to be a valid surname for a booking.  When you try to apply a CAS number to the booking the reservation system can reject what it considers to be an invalid name.

CAS 123456789 "Jane Doe-Smith" is allowed in the CAS database

The booking system doesn't like hyphenation so on a reservation it has to be entered as "Jane DoeSmith" or Jane Doe Smith".  

This is just one example.  Other subtle differences can cause a CAS name to be rejected in the reservation system.

The joys of Royal IT.  

6 hours ago, Mturk said:

This situation happened with me as well except that it was my wife and son that went on a weekend cruise back in March. When checking points once she got back I was surprised to see that my point total also went up the same value as hers. So our point total and status are identical. 

Those are actually your spouse's points counter you see when you log into your account but they still know how many points you actually have, they just don't display it.  Your personal counter is tracked in the background.

Whoever has the highest points counter is displayed for everyone in a family relationship as defined by the CAS.  Yet individuals still only earn points towards their individual point counter.    

If tomorrow you were to cruise alone your own point counter would go up but since you don't see your own points you won't see any points increase from that cruise.  Behind the scenes your personal points counter will go up but since you currently are seeing your spouses higher number reflected in your account their number will not go up from you cruising without them.  

Only if you cruise alone enough that your own personal points are now higher than your spouse's individual points will you see the number go up.  At that point your spouse would see your number when they logged into CAS because your number is higher.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The booking system doesn't handle certain names well such as names with hyphenation.  This is one example of how the system can have heartburn with a surname and their CAS number. 

The CAS system allows a surname in the CAS database that the booking system doesn't consider to be a valid surname for a booking.  When you try to apply a CAS number to the booking the reservation system can reject what it considers to be an invalid name.

CAS 123456789 "Jane Doe-Smith" is allowed in the CAS database

The booking system doesn't like hyphenation so on a reservation it has to be entered as "Jane DoeSmith" or Jane Doe Smith".  

This is just one example.  Other subtle differences can cause a CAS name to be rejected in the reservation system.

The joys of Royal IT.  

Apostrophes cause problems as well. It took a number of cruises to get our C&A #s worked out.  Through Gold into Emerald, my wife would always show up  as a level higher than me when we got to our cabin, even though she was matched to my status and I technically had more points. 

A lot of airlines get tripped up by special characters too.  It creates lot of scrambling because our passports include the apostrophe. 

Its all a bit circular with CAS points, thanks @twangster for your explanations ,I rang Royal in the end and was told it was lucky I did because my CAS no. was linked to my husbands but because I booked with his no. they would probably change the primary guest to his name as @AshleyDillo said earlier.I cannot imagine my adult daughters reaction in finding she was sharing a room with her dad 🤯 Anyway alls well that ends well..The booking was linked to his account email (apparently Royal gets confused with conflicting email accounts ,it doesn't really matter so long as my girl and I get our cruise time together

ccr.jpg

16 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

Now with that said:

No, this is not accurate at all. The points are correct but “his” status now Diamond. If the child is under 18, they are Diamond as well. 

13 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

No, this is not accurate at all. The points are correct but “his” status now Diamond. If the child is under 18, they are Diamond as well. 

You need to read what I wrote.  They will cruise at Diamond level, but their true status is not Diamond level.  If they divorce, he will go back to gold level.  He only has her level as long as they are married.  The child will hold the Diamond Level when they turn 18 but they will not move to Diamond + until they have enough cruise days on their own to reach that level.

5 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

You need to read what I wrote.  They will cruise at Diamond level, but their true status is not Diamond level.  If they divorce, he will go back to gold level.  He only has her level as long as they are married.  The child will hold the Diamond Level when they turn 18 but they will not move to Diamond + until they have enough cruise days on their own to reach that level.

How they handle divorces and kids turning 18 isn't documented.  

As such it varies on an individual basis.  Some get to retain status while there are reports of others losing their status.  

Absent of written policy its totally YMMV.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:29 AM, twangster said:

How they handle divorces and kids turning 18 isn't documented.  

As such it varies on an individual basis.  Some get to retain status while there are reports of others losing their status.  

Absent of written policy its totally YMMV.

It is in the written policy

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other.

57 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

It is in the written policy

A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other.

Yes, everyone in CAS always has only their own points.  A relationship doesn't change that.  All that is saying is that in a relationship you still actually have only your own points.  

It still doesn't say what occurs upon divorce or turning 18.  The verbiage you highlighted does not address that.