Normal length for refunds?

Robert M

Depends, I had refunds from the pandemic I never received and had to dispute several hundred dollars of charges with my CC company (eventually resolved) but with the most recent sale, I received refunds within 3 days. Items purchased 11/18 & 11/19, cancelled items on 11/19, refund posted to my CC on 11/21. 

As with all things Royal.. YMMV. 😕

I’m suspecting that it partially depends on your card type used. I’ve noticed credit card refunds happen in about a week, and debit cards take longer. It may also depend on the billing / revenue cycle as some suggested. I usually don’t start to panic about refunds until about week 3 based on my experiences. 

This is one of the few things that just makes me nuts about RC.  They hold your money forever (not really forever, but 2-3 weeks).  I once needed to make a change that was net $4,000 back to me, but I needed to pay $4000 and get an $8000 refund.  They charged me card the $4000 the day of the change, but I did not get the $8,000 back for 3 weeks.  So to avoid credit card fees, I needed to pay the entire 12k.  Not much makes me mad, but this did.

It's most likely the bank- RC probably issued the refund, but banks can take up to a week or more to actually process and clear it back into your account. I know my bank is good for holding up refunds for 5-7 days after a vendor has issued it. So if it takes RC 2 days, and the bank 5-7 business days, you can be looking at 10-11 days with weekends in between. 

On a recent cancel and rebook, RCCL remitted the funds in two payments. The first 10% within a week and the remainder two weeks later. They were dated the first of the week but our credit card company did not post it until after the following weekend which is consistent with their past refund processing. Better than the pandemic where it took RCCL 3 months to refund in various incremental amounts and only after I called them.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:48 AM, Robert M said:

When we cancelled our water package when the sale started the refund happened in 2 days but still nothing on the Refreshment packages, so looking for an idea of length it takes them? I figure they are overwhelmed with the sale ?

During the Black Friday sale, I order the internet package.  Saw the price drop and cancel and place order again.   I didn't see any refund on Sunday, I called, the lady said it takes up to 10 days to get the refund.  Today I check, refund was issued today.  I guess it takes up 10 days.  If after 10 days, you still haven't see your refund, I would suggest to call in to check.

Looking at other message boards around the web, RCCL Refunds from 11/18 are glitched like everything else from that day (system buggy/ offering incorrect prices on internet and drink packages, site going down, etc...).   NOBODY has received a refund for 11/18 cancellations.   People are getting them from before and after that date, but not 11/18.   This will be a fiasco... not looking forward to the phonecall.

8 hours ago, BobNoxiousUSA said:

Looking at other message boards around the web, RCCL Refunds from 11/18 are glitched like everything else from that day (system buggy/ offering incorrect prices on internet and drink packages, site going down, etc...).   NOBODY has received a refund for 11/18 cancellations.   People are getting them from before and after that date, but not 11/18.   This will be a fiasco... not looking forward to the phonecall.

I did (get a refund from 11/18). I got it on 11/21, but it was broken up into 4 refunds. It was the Internet package that was mispriced. I cancelled it and rebought it the next day when one of the glitches was actually LESS than they were advertising. When I bought it, it was one price, but when they refunded it, they gave me back each person's refund amount separately. I made a little spreadsheet to keep track of everything I bought and cancelled.