General Cruise Attire?

FManke

I know all the controversy over what everybody is wearing to eat dinner, especially in the MDR. What about how everybody is dressed in general while on board?

On our cruise in Oct, is it ok, given the cool nature of the year, to wear jeans and a sweatshirt on board?

Am I going to get the "stink eye?" Not that I care, I'd just like to be ready for it.

Or is it generally, dress as you want? I know there isn't a general dress code, just wondering.

I know all the controversy over what everybody is wearing to eat dinner, especially in the MDR. What about how everybody is dressed in general while on board?

On our cruise in Oct, is it ok, given the cool nature of the year, to wear jeans and a sweatshirt on board?

Am I going to get the "stink eye?" Not that I care, I'd just like to be ready for it.

Or is it generally, dress as you want? I know there isn't a general dress code, just wondering.

I think jeans and a sweatshirt will be appropriate. I've seen a lot worse! Would not recommend that attire for the MDR as khakis and a sweater would suffice. 

I think it depends on when and where you are going.  We are going to Alaska in August and we will wear jeans and a collared shirt (hubby) or a nice blouse (me) most of the time.  Sometimes a sweatshirt/sometimes a tee shirt.  Going to the Caribbean in May we will be in shorts and tees.  But we don't do the MDR.  When we go to a speciality restaurant, we wear "casual Friday" work type clothes.

During the day, the only true dress code is no swim attire in the dining venues. I typically an in shorts and a Royal Caribbean Blog t-shirt. When cruising Europe, though, I'm usually in jeans and/or Dockers and either a t-shirt or Polo. 

Guest toodle68

The only attire that I found a little off putting during our last cruise (Liberty) was people walking down the promenade in swimwear. Something about seeing big bellies and man boobs whilst sitting inside enjoying some food was a little off putting. 

4 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

The only attire that I found a little off putting during our last cruise (Liberty) was people walking down the promenade in swimwear. Something about seeing big bellies and man boobs whilst sitting inside enjoying some food was a little off putting. 

I agree! That's why I keep mine covered up, for the sake of others! :)

• 2 weeks later...

On our last cruise (Alaska), there was one guy that wore pajamas every day, all day.  They were a different pair every day, but that was all he wore.  I was never under an impression that there was any sort of dress code anywhere except the MDR.  On our Caribbean cruises, people wore swimsuits and flip flops everywhere (generally with a cover-up).

Daytime - Shorts and a tank top or a sundress. If I'm spending most of the day indoors, I'll usually have on like khaki shorts and a t shirt or something. 

Evening - Non formal nights I'll typically wear a sundress and some nice sandals. Formal nights I'll have a cocktail dress and heels.

Love the hybrid shorts..  Can be used as swim board shorts and looks like a pair of golf shorts.  Dries very quickly.  My go-to pair of shorts when I am getting off the ship to the port of calls.

I hate dressing up.  So I change pretty much immediately after dinner into a pair of jeans with a polo/t-shirt for the night entertainment.    

1 minute ago, PRC said:

I may live in Florida now, but the Texan in me refuses to go the "flip flop" route.  I have been known however to bring out some "beach boots"... :P

543583_a8d9ab4a17f2a5b7cf8fc08746e88391_large.jpg

Those are sweet! You are luckier than me. I could never pull that off!

I recall a trip in 2010 and was asked to leave the evening  MDR seating because I was wearing flops.  I still question that since women are permitted to wear open toe sandals....and they are the same thing.  Now I wear a nice pair of black house slippers and they have never questioned my choice.  And they are more comfortable.  

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

This is what they are allowing in the MDR during FORMAL NIGHT on Oasis of the Seas. By the way, the staff doesn't seem to care. Shorts and flip flops.

20170419_204204.jpg

If this is the case as stated, I have to ask the question. Is there still a need and/or want to continue with formal nights? I know that the second formal night of a cruise is usually lobster night, from what I understand, but besides that, any other differences between formal night and any other night in the MDR? Can't you just get dressed up any night you want?

8 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I asked the MDR Host and his reply was "the dress codes are ONLY suggested not required except no tank tops ever". I guess times are changing. Now, the MDR feels like a GOLDEN CORAL restaurant. 

What does Capt. Barbosa say in Pirates of the Caribbean, "The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' more than actual rules." I guess that pretty much sums it up.

We are doing  Harmony later this year but we did the Disney fantasy last year and the same question comes up there and  it seems that over the last several years cruise lines in general have change the attire. Seems that if you years ago it was more of a suggested Mandan Tory that you dressed up for formal nights but someone at Disney said that sense even offices have  gone much more casual and they were just 56 years ago that they feel like cruisers are also changing that not everyone wants to dress up it's their vacation and they want to spend it however they want. 

When we were on the fantasy  I saw people in everything from a tux to a suit and tie in girls and nice dresses all the way down to guys in just polo shirts or mock turtlenecks and jeans.  I think it's just the nature of things now and I can't confirm with Royal Caribbean yet but it seems like all the cruise lines are going in that direction where formal night is more of a suggestion  

2 minutes ago, Ilovemymac said:

We are doing  Harmony later this year but we did the Disney fantasy last year and the same question comes up there and  it seems that over the last several years cruise lines in general have change the attire. Seems that if you years ago it was more of a suggested Mandan Tory that you dressed up for formal nights but someone at Disney said that sense even offices have  gone much more casual and they were just 56 years ago that they feel like cruisers are also changing that not everyone wants to dress up it's their vacation and they want to spend it however they want. 

When we were on the fantasy  I saw people in everything from a tux to a suit and tie in girls and nice dresses all the way down to guys in just polo shirts or mock turtlenecks and jeans.  I think it's just the nature of things now and I can't confirm with Royal Caribbean yet but it seems like all the cruise lines are going in that direction where formal night is more of a suggestion  

I agree with this - as the times change, so do policies. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me much. 

Wanna dress up? Go for it! Don't wanna dress up! HOKAY! Other people's fashion choices aren't going to ruin my cruise.

5 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

I agree with this - as the times change, so do policies. I guess that's why it doesn't bother me much. 

Wanna dress up? Go for it! Don't wanna dress up! HOKAY! Other people's fashion choices aren't going to ruin my cruise.

I'm with you - I like that you don't HAVE to dress up on formal night.  BUT, I think that's what the Windjammer is for.  If you don't want to dress up, don't eat in the MDR.

Frankly, we enjoy just sitting at the bar outside of the MDR people watching, esp on nights when the photographers are out.  Loads of free entertainment!

11 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

Other people's fashion choices aren't going to ruin my cruise.

I agree. It doesn't bother me one bit. If people want to dress in something, lets say, "less formal" who cares. Does it it really have that much of an impact on your enjoyment? Maybe all those people who "dress up" on the other nights of the cruise should be looked down upon! Who do they think they are, trying to show everybody else up by dressing all fancy! You should always dress to please yourself, not others.

It looks like Princess is cutting back on formal nights. They just announced on their newest ship that they will have one formal night and one "dress to impress" night. However, the suggested attire for the latter is pants and a collard shirt, which is their basic dress code. The reason I mention this is the fact that if Princess is doing this, then this indicates a tend in the industry as they've always been a bit more formal. 

12 hours ago, DocLC said:

It looks like Princess is cutting back on formal nights. They just announced on their newest ship that they will have one formal night and one "dress to impress" night. However, the suggested attire for the latter is pants and a collard shirt, which is their basic dress code. The reason I mention this is the fact that if Princess is doing this, then this indicates a tend in the industry as they've always been a bit more formal. 

I guess that works if you are "impressed" by someone wearing pants and a shirt! Those are pretty much the same dress requirements to walk into a 7-Eleven! Plus the shoes of course.