Best ship for first timers?

FManke

On 5/1/2017 at 11:48 AM, klaconqueso said:

Well now it's become "I really want to book that cabana but I know I shouldn't so maybe if I keep checking it'll magically become half price"

Remember you only (hopefully) have one honeymoon, so splurge a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise on RC was waaaaaayyyyyyy back in 1990 on Song of America. Gorgeous old ship with teak decks. It was our first cruise and was a reward trip with our franchiser.

We were hooked after that. Did Monarch of the Seas her inaugural year (first ship in the Sovereign class) in 1992, then again in 1994. She was the newest at the time. Funny how tiny Sovereign class is now. 

Took a break from cruising because of a little one at home, but decided to have a blow out cruise before we tried for baby #2. Did a 4 nighter on Sovereign in 1998.

all these ships were at the time the "newest' and greatest.  We like to sail on the newer ships.

Took a VERY long break from cruising and booked Oasis in Spring of 2011 with our then 17 and 11 year old. They LOVED it! We LOVED it! So much to do especially with 3 days at sea. 

'Just got off Oasis again this past Sunday with no kids and 2 other couples.  Had a blast! Celebrated my 50th and almost 9 months cancer free.  We booked Oasis again with same itinerary because it was a known quantity and we knew we'd have fun. 

Booked Oasis this past Tuesday for spring break this coming year as a back up plan if trip to NYC for the US Open falls through end of summer. It's a graduation trip for our youngest and she wants to go to the Open and a Broadway show.

The port was our main qualification. We're 2 hours from Canaveral and Oasisis the only thing sailing out of there. Itinerary is slightly different, so that will be nice. 

We love the Oasis class. So much to do or not to do! 

'Really want to get on Anthem class but they're in Asia. ☹️

Hubby and I are still in active mode and want a ship that has all the bells and whistles. However, I am wanting to return to the southern Caribbean and I'll have to do that on a smaller ship and fly to PR to get the ship. 

6 minutes ago, Jill said:

'Really want to get on Anthem class but they're in Asia. ☹️

Hubby and I are still in active mode and want a ship that has all the bells and whistles. However, I am wanting to return to the southern Caribbean and I'll have to do that on a smaller ship and fly to PR to get the ship. 

You're thinking Quantum Class being in Asia ..... however, there's hope.... Anthem of the Seas, which IS Quantum Class sails out of Bayonne, NJ (NYC Metro Area) --- so, you still have a shot at it ...

Freedom OTS will be sailing the Southern Caribbean route in summer of 2018, I have a Grand Suite booked for the first of June-2018, Freedom is by no means small, at their time the Freedom class where the largest ships in  the world. Freedom has had some refurbishment done but may still be showing her age, but should have all of the "Bells and whistles" except for maybe the water slides.

Agree with coneyraven, Anthem is sailing out of NJ, but does not go to the Southern route. Had a coworker that just went on it and loved it.

13 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Agree with coneyraven, Anthem is sailing out of NJ, but does not go to the Southern route. Had a coworker that just went on it and loved it.

Anthem does have what they're at least calling a "Southern Caribbean" itinerary, although the ports of call definitely strike me as more Eastern than Southern Caribbean.

12 nights, with stops in San Juan, PR; St. Maarten; St. Johns, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados; and St. Kitts

12 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

Thanks, JLMoran, I limited my search to 7 days so that is why I didn't see it, that basically mimics my 2018 Freedom cruise except I won't have the sea days.

7 nights, San Juan, St Maarten, St Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, sea day, this also is called a Southern Caribbean.

My last Southern Caribbean from San Juan on Adventure had St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, Curacao, when you include the ABC islands is when I (IMO) officially call it a Southern...

• 3 weeks later...

First time cruisers is easy - 4-nighter to Bahamas or Cozumel on a smaller ship like Majesty or Enchantment. You've never been on a cruise before, you don't know if you're going to love it or hate it. You're better off just taking a few days and dip your feet in and test the waters, then go back on a bigger ship. Why start at the top of the mountain, when you can enjoy the trip up and see the sights, and take in the views from different perspectives along the way?

Royal is always going to be building the bigger ships, the smaller ones may start to disappear as the fleet grows in favor of the larger vessels.  The smaller ships give you a more intimate experience (and I mean that in a good way, not code for "cramped") with the crew and fellow passengers, which is a nod to where cruises used to be. The mega-ships are great but just don't feel the same as a smaller ship. There's something intrinsically special about a small ship that I think everyone should experience at least once in their cruise lifetime.