2 Moms Desperately Seeking Suite Freedom ~ 11/28-12/2/2022

Funeegal

Wow.  I can't believe it is happening.  This was a long time in the making. 6 days until we cruise. 

The Ship - Freedom of the Seas 11/28/2022 - 12/2/2022

The Room - One bedroom Grande Suite - Deck 10

About Me - I am a wife, age 50-something, to an amazing man 😍 and a mom to two exceptional teens.  We've been married for 20 years.  Our two beautiful children, ages 18 and 15 are on the autism spectrum.  In addition, the older has an intellectual disability (among other things) and the younger has some wicked ADHD going on. 😆 Each has their strengths and challenges and both are exceptional in their own ways.  I wouldn't change it for the world, but this mama needs a break!  Between working full-time and then dealing with all of the things at home, it is time for some R&R!  We don't really have anyone who can watch our kids, so we recently decided that my husband and I need to get away separately to have a break.  It is my turn since my husband went to ATL to visit a friend in the summer.  Our next family cruise will be with Autism on the Seas over New Years. 😀

The Traveling Companion - A good friend of mine who is age 40-something.  We met on a cruise when we were both traveling with Autism on the Seas.  The organization is a TA.  However, they also provide volunteers to help our special kiddos and give parents some respite.  We met in 2016.  She has 4 kiddos; 3 are older than my oldest and 1 is a year older than my youngest.  Two are on the spectrum (similar to mine) and one has epilepsy.  She probably needs a break more than I do!

The Story - My friend, A, and I decided to take advantage of a low priced cruise immediately after Thanksgiving.  We both had some cruise credits to burn and airfare credits to use up.  We picked a date, our husbands agreed, and we didn't wait for them to change their minds!  We originally booked a balcony cabin.  About two months ago, I decided to price an upgrade to a Jr. Suite.  It was very reasonable so I booked it.  This would be my first time in any kind of suite.  Same for A.  I never told A I upgraded and she didn't notice the cabin change (both were on Deck 9).  My plan was to surprise her.  I was so excited for an espresso maker in the room!  I was also excited for double C&A points!

Then, I got a Royal Up invitation a day or so after check-in.  I decided to bid the minimum for a 1 bedroom Grande Suite and a 2 bedroom Grande Suite.  Again, I never said a word to A.

We started planning the trip and cruise itself.  Well, I started planning and A tends to agree or tells me to decide.  As long as we financially agree, she is easy going and we both like the same things.  It works for us.  We made sure our flights landed at about the same time (she is coming from Phoenix and I am coming from Chicago).  We have a hotel for the night before the cruise (using points I have) and have arranged for their $10 per person shuttle to the Port of Miami. 

Our cruise plans include:

Day 1 - 10:30AM check-in.

Day 2 - Cococay Beach Club - It just went on sale for $78.99 per person so we decided to get it today.  We are really living it up!

Day 3 - Sea Day - We booked Sip.Tour.Brunch - I can't wait to see the Galley.

Day 4 - Nassau - Blue Lagoon - Neither one of us has been there so we decided to give it a try.  We've been to Nassau many times and I guess I am looking for something new.  Hope it is at least relaxing.  I don't mind boat rides either.

Day 5 - Let's not talk about this.  It is a sad, sad, sad, sad, day.

We originally purchased The Key, but now that we have a Grand Suite, we decided to cancel it.  It makes the Royal Up worth it even more since we save The Key price.  We purchased internet and a soda package.  Neither one of us are huge drinkers and I have Diamond status so I can get 4 drinks per day anyway.  

I made Diamond status on my last cruise (Alaska B2B), but didn't get the chance to check out the Diamond Club or use my 4 drinks per day because my family ended up with COVID and in quarantine on Day 3.  For this cruise, A and I plan to check out both the Diamond Club and Suite Lounge.  I am all about coffee and can't wait to get good coffee in my room AND in the lounges! 

It is the little things...coffee, quiet, R&R

I haven't started packing...

I am looking forward to a large balcony, free room service, espresso maker in the room, pillow top mattress, suite pool deck, suite/diamond lounges, not getting awakened by my oldest at 4AM.  I also love me some people watching!  That may be my favorite past time...

Stay tuned...I will do my best.

your thread title had me laughing so hard 😆 i love hearing about this -- you and your friend more than deserve this well-earned vacation!! i can tell just from your words that you are a great mom + wife, so supportive and loving. your family will surely miss you 💚 but hopefully that won't stop you from recharging and getting some fun in the sun!!

54 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

We started planning the trip and cruise itself.  Well, I started planning and A tends to agree or tells me to decide.  As long as we financially agree, she is easy going and we both like the same things.  It works for us.

this is exactly how my travel buddy and i are when we plan cruises! it's so nice to have a planner with (relatively 😂) free rein and an equally appreciative friend who can offer moral or financial support (haha) when needed! i plan and do all the legwork and confer with her on the bigger decisions/budgetary questions. she is very calm and easy to travel with, which makes it a lot easier on my Type A (or is it triple A?) personality. kind of like what you wanted group projects to be like in school but they never were 😆

i can't wait to hear all about your travels!

5 days until we cruise.

The surprise is out.  We both received an email last night from Christiano, the Freedom of the Seas Suite Concierge!  It was A who texted me to let me know about the email and asked me WTHeck was going on!  So I had to let the cat out of the bag.  Her response was priceless!  She texted, "I feel so fancy!"

The email laid out most of our suite benefits and Christiano's hours in the Suite lounge.  I know this is an auto generated email, but it makes this all the more real.

A has been having a tough time with her youngest.  A is counting the hours until she flies!

2 days until we cruise.  My friend start her travel today.  Since she is flying from AZ, she is taking a red eye that departs just after midnight.  I have the first flight of the day out of O'Hare.  Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do and flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving is far from pleasant.  O'Hare tends to be better (less delays) in the early morning than later in the day.  Let's hope the airport is not a mess at 4AM.  I have TSA pre-check and have status with the airline so I hope everything goes smoothly.  The only small bump is rain is expected, but that is better than snow!  The prize (cruise) is worth taking a 5AM flight out of O'Hare.

I am overpacked.  I decided to check a bag and instead of filling it up halfway, I decided to fill 3/4 so I have lots of clothing choices.  LOL! My carryon consists of a backpack since I have to bring my work laptop (just in case) and a small travel purse.  

Christiano emailed me back and said he would take care of our lunch reservation for Coco Cay.  I figure we will visit him in the Suite lounge on Day 1.

T-minus 6 hours until my alarm goes off to wake up.  Yeah, tomorrow will be tiring for both of us, but hopefully we can nap tomorrow afternoon.  Let that relaxation begin!

4 hours ago, Funeegal said:

I have the first flight of the day out of O'Hare.  Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do and flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving is far from pleasant.  O'Hare tends to be better (less delays) in the early morning than later in the day.  Let's hope the airport is not a mess at 4AM.  I have TSA pre-check and have status with the airline so I hope everything goes smoothly.  The only small bump is rain is expected, but that is better than snow!  The prize (cruise) is worth taking a 5AM flight out of O'Hare.

I'm flying out of o hare on Dec 29 for my new years Eve cruise.  O hare can be awful, but you should be fine that early, even on the bad travel weekend.  The last couple times I've gone through security it's been less than 30 mins.  I almost always pick early flights leaving so no delays and I start my vacation early!  

I also have a son who had some developmental delays/spectrum issues, though he was able to get amazing services and is truly a different kid at 23.  But I know how much the break can be needed and I hope you have an amazing trip! I look forward to reading your blog.  And yeah no snow!!!   Jane

It’s my travel day!  I woke up at 1:45AM. My friend was boarding her flight from Phoenix at the same time.

Got to the airport and waited 15 minutes in line to check my bag. I have priority status with the airline so this was quick. TSA pre-check wasn’t open yet, so I got in line. Once it opened, I made it thru in 15 minutes. 

Let the people watching begin!  I can only hope people choose kindness today. 🥰 

Have a safe, on-time flight and a wonderful cruise

Ohare is great for people watching. I normally do the first flight out, I live in Chicago, and I am always amazed. My favorite thing is the people who have to repack their bags. Like clearly the fact that you could barely lift the bag means it might be close to the weight limit. They always hold up the bag check-in line. This is especially hilarious because there are tons of scales to weigh your bag beforehand. 

6 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Ohare is great for people watching. I normally do the first flight out, I live in Chicago, and I am always amazed. My favorite thing is the people who have to repack their bags. Like clearly the fact that you could barely lift the bag means it might be close to the weight limit. They always hold up the bag check-in line. This is especially hilarious because there are tons of scales to weigh your bag beforehand. 

I actually keep a little scale in my suitcase so I can weigh it on the cruise ship,  it’s just crazy people do that.  I don’t love the bag check at ohare…usually a mess..so if I’m flying united or American, I just do the curbside check.  So much easier!  Jane

23 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes! I check in at the priority line (sky caps don’t work at 3AM). There is never a wait, but between one young lady arguing with the AA personnel and having to call several people to the family who was trying to find their identification, it held up the line. 

It also amazes me that those in the TSA pre-check line are asked to leave the line when they don’t have TSA pre-check. 

The people watching was not the best yesterday. Many were too tired and it left me with some boring viewing. 

It’s today! It’s today! Shuttle is at 10AM. Our check in time is 10:30AM. 

Vacation mode is on!  A and I hung out at the hotel and pool yesterday. We checked in around 9:45AM. We laughed and hung out and relaxed!

We went to bed early and I slept about 9 hours. It is glorious!

So excited for today! 

I guess I am a bad live blogger.  I am trying.  

Embarkation Day

Did I mention this is my first time in any kind of suite?  It is going to be hard to book a balcony room again after this experience!  We got to the port of Miami around 10:40 for our 10:30-11AM check-in time.  There was no line for the Suite and Pinnacle guests and were welcomed inside immediately and instructed to take the elevator up to whatever floor was mentioned.  We got off the elevator and went right through security.  Huh.  I am used to checking in and then going through security.

Ok.  We were directed to the lounge where there was water and snacks!  We sat down and a port person came right over to us.  We showed our passport, she scanned it, and done.  Check in complete.  Wait....what?!?!

The entire process took less than 10 minutes.  We enjoyed some water and A had an egg salad sammie and a cookie.  We were told to please line up and at 11AM on the nose, we were on the ship.  Still didn't too much of a chance to people watch, but I was very impressed with the process.

We immediately went to our muster station. Done.

We decided to take the tour of the spa to be entered into the drawing for $500 worth of services.  The ship was empty so we figured we could get that done and over with and why not try to win?  

We wandered around a bit and got our soda cups.  We found the Suite pool deck.  I now know why it is first come first served on Freedom.  There is no monitored entry so anyone can go there.  There is only a sign on one side that indicates Suite guests, but two staircases.  It doesn't matter.  We found the Suite lounge and Diamond lounge.  I got a decent cup of coffee and was happy.

Around 11:45, we went to the Windjammer for lunch.  It wasn't too crowded yet, but left when it got noisy and headed back to the suite lounge until the rooms were ready at 1PM.

I love love love the outside area of the suite lounge.  I told my husband that I get free fancy coffee in the lounge and said I was in trouble now.  He said, "Trouble?  Explain."

I said we are done for since now I only want to sail in a suite.  LOL!  His response was priceless.  Oh no....I just heard the credit card in my wallet start whimpering like a naughty puppy caught in the act of piddling on a Persian rug. 🙂

We got to our suite and honestly can't believe the size of it!  I think the best part is as someone who is 5'2", I think it may be a hazard to get into the shower!  I knew the sides were tall due to videos and such, but the stupid thing comes up to my mid-thigh!  It is hysterical for me to get in and out of this tub!

We hit the suite pool deck for the sail away party and that for sure is where the best people watching is!  It was a blast!  

We headed to the suite lounge at 4PM to meet with the suite concierge, check on our lunch reservations for Coco Cay Beach club, get some snacks (a goat cheese toast, meatball, mini crab cake, and some kind of fritter, and a drink before dinner.

Ok.  Dinner in the MDR.  I had the mushroom soup and salmon.  It was fine.  

We saw the ice show and sat in our reserved section.  Same ice show as we saw this past March and it was fine.  Good.  Couple of bobbles, but I can barely skate so no complaints there.

We then decided to go to the Adult Majority Rules game show in Olive and Twist.  Let me tell you this game could have been so much better.  There hasn't been great people watching and that is because the people on the cruise are boring.  Their answers were TERRIBLE!  The game had the potential for funny and raunchy (it was an 18+ game), but the answers sounded like they were from boring vintages!

We hit the bed and fell asleep.

The suites on Freedom are on deck 10.  We are under the solarium.  I was concerned about noise, but it has been fine.  However, I was awakened in the middle of the night when I heard chairs being moved above.  It lasted just a minute or so, but it did wake me.  I am a very light sleeper.

Day 2 - Cococay

We awaked this morning around 7AM and had ordered room service for breakfast.  I can't get over that they ring the doorbell and not call you on the phone!  We enjoyed coffee and breakfast on the balcony before heading to the beach club today.  The beach club is always so relaxing!  This is truly what both of us needed today.

I will also mention that the Wifi is noticeably faster than when I was on Freedom this past March.  A good thing!

69135674543--F248AB04-7C1C-4FC3-9007-C3772B56F169 - Copy.jpg

IMG-5724 - Copy.jpg

The end of the day. I finally got some good people watching in and it certainly didn’t disappoint. 

The dress code tonight and I use the term dress code loosely was resort casual.  I put on my slacks and v-neck embroidered tshirt/blouse and A and I headed to the MDR.

I know this may sound snooty and b*tchy, but seeing is believing and I think it is time for RCL to somewhat enforce a dress code or define it better.

I saw one woman wearing cut off ripped shorts and a crop top in the MDR.  Several men were in board shorts and tshirts.  

At the table next to us was a women chewing like she was a cow eating cud; using a fork with one hand and her fingers pushing food onto the fork with the other.  It really was just gross.

I ordered the cod in lemon butter.  I took one bite and covered it up with the rice.  Disgusting!  We decided to finish dinner and head to Windjammer where the food was also abysmal.  

We decided to hit the hot tub and met a nice man and his wife; from the inland part of Alaska.  Well, the hot tub bubbles finished.  The water was still and all of a sudden the gentleman had quite a few bubbles rise from his nether region and come to the surface!  It took everything I had not to laugh.  Yes, this mom still thinks farts are funny like a 12 year old, but I expect good manners in the MDR.

Guess what…it happened two more times!

we are calling it a night a bit early.  We have a sea day tomorrow and may just spend it on our large balcony or on the outside portion of the suite lounge.

i was happy to read about the suite boarding experience and loving that you both are getting some pampering in the spacious cabin and perks — but then i read the part about the hot tub and my jaw dropped laughing 😆 oh my gosh!!!

you handled it better than i think i would have 😅

how was the beach club?? what time did you guys get there? any other ships at PDCC with you? trying to gauge it for our visits on our upcoming sailings, we are excited!!

6 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i was happy to read about the suite boarding experience and loving that you both are getting some pampering in the spacious cabin and perks — but then i read the part about the hot tub and my jaw dropped laughing 😆 oh my gosh!!!

you handled it better than i think i would have 😅

how was the beach club?? what time did you guys get there? any other ships at PDCC with you? trying to gauge it for our visits on our upcoming sailings, we are excited!!

We got to the beach club around 8:30am. All of the pool beds were taken by then so we claimed a lounger in the pool. They look uncomfortable, but are surprisingly comfortable. 

I love the beach club. It is quiet and calm. Even with the Wonder, the beach club was not even close to full. 

I had the lobster for lunch and it did not disappoint.  Sorry for no pics, I always forget before I bite.

058133B0-86C9-4FE1-994A-6621B028B7AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Funeegal said:

breakfast in Chops; reserved for suite guests.

I think this is one of the most underrated full suite perks - particularly on the non-O/Q class ships.  We always really enjoy the suite/pinnacle breakfast and I'm going to miss this A LOT when we sail in non-suites this next year.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think this is one of the most underrated full suite perks - particularly on the non-O/Q class ships.  We always really enjoy the suite/pinnacle breakfast and I'm going to miss this A LOT when we sail in non-suites this next year.

You are sailing non-suites?????????😵

47 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You are sailing non-suites?????????😵

39 minutes ago, Neesa said:

OMG @Ampurp85 I was just thinking the same thing. Is this a @WAAAYTOOO impersonator?  Waaay is the reason I tried the suite life!

LOL.  Yep.  Gonna give it a go.  Gotta be some sacrifices once we are both retired. Quantity over quality !  I even have some interiors still on the books.  I have been slightly upgrading some of my casino comps but some of them are still interiors (at least, for now).

@WAAAYTOOOI agree though, when it is just the two of us we will be doing the same. At D+ a lot of the amenities are available to us and this will allow me the opportunity to sail more. Mr. Vintage Magnet got hooked on the Serenade, he asked me while we were stuck in line leaving the ship, where does the Brilliance go? I would sail this ship again! Do they sail all year from Tampa? You could have knocked me over with a feather. Looking forward to your blogs for sure!

Never been on the Freedom class, so I'm loving seeing her for the first time here. Yes, I third that emotion Chops breakfast is special.

12 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@WAAAYTOOOI agree though, when it is just the two of us we will be doing the same. At D+ a lot of the amenities are available to us and this will allow me the opportunity to sail more. Mr. Vintage Magnet got hooked on the Serenade, he asked me while we were stuck in line leaving the ship, where does the Brilliance go? I would sail this ship again? Do they sail all year from Tampa? You could have knocked me over with a feather. Looking forward to your blogs for sure!

I love the Radiance class.  I haven't sailed on one in a really long time but I love the elegance of that class.  I'll have to do some homework and find a good casino deal on a Radiance class ship for next year !  I don't know if they still have it or not, but the Rad class used to have a small, almost private, dining room adjacent to the MDR.  MANY years ago we had traditional dining in that room and it was so nice.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I love the Radiance class.  I haven't sailed on one in a really long time but I love the elegance of that class.  I'll have to do some homework and find a good casino deal on a Radiance class ship for next year !  I don't know if they still have it or not, but the Rad class used to have a small, almost private, dining room adjacent to the MDR.  MANY years ago we had traditional dining in that room and it was so nice.

That room is still on the Serenade but they made it a "game room" The tables were set up in this intimate space and there were groups of people at the tables playing cards and dominoes I believe. It was very elegant. I would like another sailing on her like this time, skipping the Holidays, Waaay to many little kiddos in the Solarium by the last Sea day.

@Funeegal are there a lot of kids on your sailing? 

For those questioning why she said what she said about Wonder. You can clearly see what is happing in the hot tub/pools from the outside. You think about that.

Also @WAAAYTOOO I agree. I often sail solo in interiors because I can get more bang for my buck so to speak. With me being D and almost D+, I get a lot of perks that don't make paying suite prices, worth it. With my family I would do suites and such in a heartbeat. Plus, with you now living in Florida you can sail more, so interiors might be a good bet to reach pinnacle.

Sip.Tour.Brunch FAIL!  I will give credit where credit is due…the Asst. Matre’D did her best to remedy the situation, but the experience was meh. 

My email receipt and cruise planner showed this starting at 11:30AM. I called Guest Services twice to confirm the meeting point. 

We arrive at 11:15AM at the Deck 4 MDR and didn’t see a soul on site. We went down to the deck 3 MDR and asked where we are to meet. Confirmed deck 4. Waited until 11:35 and still no other guests in sight so we went back down to the 3rd floor MDR and inquired again. 

We were told to wait on deck 4 MDR and someone would bring us back. When Rita met us, she said the tour started at 10:30AM. 

She tried her best and showed us the galley very quickly and then seated us for our brunch. Most of the guests were already on dessert. We were rushed through in 1 hour vs. two.  It was fine, but I plan saying something to Christiano this evening. Rita did everything right, but the cruise planner and reservation was wrong. 

We watched a decent Belly Flop contest from the deck above the lime and coconut. It was less crowded and not as noisy. 

The sexiest man co test was 💯 lame. I’ve seen good contests before and this one stunk. 

We spend the rest of the afternoon in the solarium and just came back to the room to get ready for suite lounge pre-dinner. 

We are planning to see the headliner this evening. 

4 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

What's wrong with this? 😕

I’m sorry. I should have made myself more clear. The mental note is for ME. There is nothing with this for other people. I am a big person who is not comfortable in my body. Yes, totally different topic and my own personal issue, but there is no way I would want to be in a hot tub or pool where other people can see my floppy bits through glass. 🤣😃

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

LOL.  Yep.  Gonna give it a go.  Gotta be some sacrifices once we are both retired. Quantity over quality !  I even have some interiors still on the books.  I have been slightly upgrading some of my casino comps but some of them are still interiors (at least, for now).

Try the interior with the virtual balcony.  The light is interesting at sunrise. 

41 minutes ago, AandD said:

Try the interior with the virtual balcony.  The light is interesting at sunrise. 

We cruised in an interior with virtual balcony back when they were first introduced.  I think it was Liberty but I can’t recall for sure.  This cabin also happened to be an accessible room so there was extraordinary amount of space for an interior.  I liked this room very much. I wouldn’t mind trying one again.