Travel Documents

crc97

On 11/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, crc97 said:

My family will be cruising next month and using birth certificates and driver's licenses as our travel documents.  Do we have to show these at each port we stop at in order to re-board the ship?  Thanks!

You will have to show a photo id to get past security at every island. So bring your drivers license off the ship with your sea pass card.  I can only think of one or two times in the last 30 years of cruising we did not have to show the photo id.  Security will barely glance at it, which defeats the purpose, but I think they trust the ships not to let anyone on that shouldn't be there, LOL. You won't need it at a cruise line's private island.  

Back in 2019, security in Puerto Rico stopped my sister from entering the pier. Why? Seapass only with no photo ID. I tried to tell her ahead of time, but she wouldn't listen. When I passed through and said I would get her ID from her stateroom and she started wailing and crying like a fool, they pushed her on through. 

On 11/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, fireclan said:

Back in 2019, security in Puerto Rico stopped my sister from entering the pier. Why? Seapass only with no photo ID. I tried to tell her ahead of time, but she wouldn't listen. When I passed through and said I would get her ID from her stateroom and she started wailing and crying like a fool, they pushed her on through. 

Personally I never understood how some people can go anywhere without ID, I can't count the times friends have gone out without their DL and found themselves in a  situation were they needed it. I never leave home without it.  

Now in your sister's situation it makes even more sense to carry phot ID because even if it's not needed to gain entry you may just find yourself in a situation that it will be needed, be it a scam or by chance/accident getting involved in some sort of legal trouble. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

Also, it seems that it wasn't too late just to return to the ship retrieve it and come back without the water works. For her it might have been an ordeal for something so minor but what would have happened once through security and actually needed that ID somewhere?   

On 11/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, Psycho and Barb said:

We always take our driver's license with our Sea Pass, but we have only been asked to see the driver's license one time.

We just automatically take it out, when taking out our sea pass.  But it's always looked at.