Royal Caribbean's brick wall customer service--Frustrating

Bruin Steve

I've got three RCCL cruises coming up in the next 9 months.  I have shore excursions purchased for two of the...all booked and paid for months ago. But, from experience, I know to constantly re-check the pricing...because RCCL often runs sales.  Unfortunately, they won't just make an adjustment--you need to cancel and re-book.  You end up paying a second time and also wait a month or two for the credit to come back onto your card.  And, you run the risk that the excursion will sell out some time between canceling the excursion and completing the re-booking.

So, over the past couple of days, I checked all of my excursions.  Two of the excursions on my January Navigator cruise went down in price--but only $2 and $4 per person respectively--and I decided it wasn't worth messing with--just to save $12.  But, on my April Symphony of the Seas Med cruise, one of my shore excursions went down a considerable amount.  The "Cinque Terre Villages (Small Group)" shorex--that I purchased for $193.99 per person--was showing on the website for $159.99 pp.  Definitely worth dealing with.  

I first figured I'd call and do it by phone--mostly because it was a little complicated since part of the booking was via OBC but the majority by Visa card.  But the wait time on the RCCL number was 90 minutes plus!  So, I went ahead to the website and first canceled the original booking.  No problem--OBC was restored and rest was to be a credit back to my card.  Then, I went to the excursion page...Price clearly said $159.99 per adult.  Went through the process of booking...and, lo and behold, the price that showed up in my cart was $182.99 per person.  I canceled and tried again--twice.  Each time, the price showed as $159.99 but, when proceding to the payment page, it switched to $182.99.  I finally just booked it anyway so as to not lose my place completely.  I figured Customer Service could fix it.

Then I called Royal Caribbean Customer Service.  Waited a long time on hold and someone finally took the call.  I explained the issue and the guy took a look at my reservation and at the website...and then said he didn't know how to fix it--but he'd get a Supervisor on the line...and put me back on hold.  Ten minutes later he came back and said he'd transfer me..."hold on"...then a click and the phone went dead...Disconnected.

I called back to RCCL.  Again waited on hold.  A different representative came on.  I explained the issue once more.  He took a look at the website...agreed that I was correct--the price was $159.99 pp.  He said he had no clue why it had charged me $182.99 pp.  But, he said, it would have to go to "Resolutions"...and put me back on hold.  He finally came back on and said he had spoken to someone in Resolutions and they told him there was nothing they could do...and suggested I "call back in a couple of days and MAYBE they could fix it then".  I asked if I could speak to the Resolutions person directly.  Not too happy that I had already spent 2-3 hours on hold, spoke to two different people.  Everyone agreed I was charged the wrong amount...but no one could or would do anything to fix it and only offered me the advice to call back again in a couple of days and go through all of the "hold" waits and disconnections again...and still not necessarily offer a real resolution.  He then got the "Resolutions" person--Madeline--on the phone for me.

Madeline had no intention of resolving anything.  She said they were not authorized to offer ANYTHING.  It was a "system" problem and Royal Caribbean would "fix" it--ON THE WEBSITE-- when they get around to it...and whatever I was charged must be the price. 

Of course. there are a few problems with this thing.  First, there is no way to have seen a price other than the $159.99 on the website UNLESS you first cancel the existing booking.  Up to that point, the price on the overall shorex listing is $159.99, the price you get clicking on the specific shore excursion is $159.99.  And you can't put it in your cart unless you first cancel the earlier booking.  So, in order to get to that point, you need to detrimentally rely on the webpage, cancel your booking and wait for a credit--then, in order to keep your place, you have no choice but to re-book at whatever price the website gives you...and to PAY IN FULL immediately a second time.

And, second, certainly, if it were only to save a few dollars, I would NOT have subjected myself to a second payment, a long wait period for a credit...and multiple hours of dealing with Royal Caribbean's phone lines, wait times and bad customer service.

But Madeline's answer to all of this was.........no apologies, no admission of error, no attempts to be reasonable, no try to make anything better...It was strictly a "stone wall"...

Finally, Madeline said she'd have someone "call me in a couple of days"...with no indication that they would do anything.

That was all yesterday morning.   Meanwhile, on the RCCL website this morning, the excursion showed a price of $182.99...I figured maybe RCCL's idea of "fixing it" was to just raise the price...However, right now, this evening, it again says $159.99.  I thought, maybe, I'd call Royal Caribbean and ask them to check the current price...but, of course, calling right now, I just get the recording that says "Our office is currently closed".  Didn't they used to keep the phones manned 24/7?

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is a fantastic cruise line once you are able to board a ship and the cruise starts.

They are terrible at everything else.  They suck at the pre-cruise guest experience.  

I totally feel your pain.    

The problem is it is supposed to be a great experience from start to finish. Royal needs a lot of work. It just shouldn't be this hard to spend your money. I too feel your pain. (Had endless problems with them this weekend)

12 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

The problem is it is supposed to be a great experience from start to finish. Royal needs a lot of work. It just shouldn't be this hard to spend your money. I too feel your pain. (Had endless problems with them this weekend)

But the Royal head bean counter thinks you'll spend the money anyways, even if if is an ugly process.  They don't care if it takes 3 minutes or 3 days of your time because they know you'll spend the money and invest endless hours doing so for the vacation experience you want.   One way or another they've got you.  Making it easy isn't their concern.  It's not their time they are wasting.  

49 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Then I called Royal Caribbean Customer Service.  Waited a long time on hold and someone finally took the call.  I explained the issue and the guy took a look at my reservation and at the website...and then said he didn't know how to fix it--but he'd get a Supervisor on the line...and put me back on hold.  Ten minutes later he came back and said he'd transfer me..."hold on"...then a click and the phone went dead...Disconnected.  OMG…this has happened to me so many times!  Totally frustrating!

That was all yesterday morning.   Meanwhile, on the RCCL website this morning, the excursion showed a price of $182.99...I figured maybe RCCL's idea of "fixing it" was to just raise the price...However, right now, this evening, it again says $159.99.  I thought, maybe, I'd cll Royal Caribbean and ask them to check the current price...but, of course, calling right now, I just get the recording that says "Our office is currently closed".  Didn't they used to keep the phones manned 24/7?  Weekends they close at 7pm EST I believe.  Even during the week they are close at 2am and I believe open the phones again at 8am.

I have come to realize that Royal’s customer service is very subpar and I try my very best to not deal with them if at all possible.  Little issues are usually dealt with reasonably but once you have something that needs fixing…don’t ever hold your breath while trying to fix it…you’ll suffocate! Scared Spongebob Squarepants GIF by Xbox

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

But the Royal head bean counter thinks you'll spend the money anyways, even if if is an ugly process.  They don't care if it takes 3 minutes or 3 days of your time because they know you'll spend the money and invest endless hours doing so for the vacation experience you want.   One way or another they've got you.  Making it easy isn't their concern.  It's not their time they are wasting.  

We actually had a conversation yesterday about how much more lack of pre cruise customer service we want to put up with in the future. Spent too much time on phone with Royal, Credit Card Co, Priceline, etc over multiple repeat charges, mistakes, refunds in wrong amount etc, etc. First real talk about possibly moving on after Icon in 2024. So they better wise up fast. Good customer service is a big deal in this country. Get on the Bus Royal. 

45 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

We actually had a conversation yesterday about how much more lack of pre cruise customer service we want to put up with in the future. Spent too much time on phone with Royal, Credit Card Co, Priceline, etc over multiple repeat charges, mistakes, refunds in wrong amount etc, etc. First real talk about possibly moving on after Icon in 2024. So they better wise up fast. Good customer service is a big deal in this country. Get on the Bus Royal. 

Yep.  Sailed five lines since the restart.  Some of them before the restart.  Looking at other lines for some bucket list destinations where I don't want a mass market experience.  

I do really enjoy the on board experience with Royal.  I'm just tired of every booking turning into drama pre-cruise.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Yep.  Sailed five lines since the restart.  Some of them before the restart.  Looking at other lines for some bucket list destinations where I don't want a mass market experience.  

I do really enjoy the on board experience with Royal.  I'm just tired of every booking turning into drama pre-cruise.  

Could not agree with you more. I love the onboard experience from Royal but am no longer loyal. Each cruise line has some things better than other lines and some things worse but I am enjoying different variety.

1 hour ago, TeRriii said:

Just try modify your shore excursion in cart, then click update. Do this until you got cheaper price. Also you can try refresh many times on Cart screen.

I did this to my excursion too and manage to buy cheaper excursion (30% discount vs 20% discount).

I did this too, although by accident,  and ended up getting a cheaper price than I was expecting! Score! 😁

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I've got three RCCL cruises coming up in the next 9 months.  I have shore excursions purchased for two of the...all booked and paid for months ago. But, from experience, I know to constantly re-check the pricing...because RCCL often runs sales.  Unfortunately, they won't just make an adjustment--you need to cancel and re-book.  You end up paying a second time and also wait a month or two for the credit to come back onto your card.  And, you run the risk that the excursion will sell out some time between canceling the excursion and completing the re-booking.

So, over the past couple of days, I checked all of my excursions.  Two of the excursions on my January Navigator cruise went down in price--but only $2 and $4 per person respectively--and I decided it wasn't worth messing with--just to save $12.  But, on my April Symphony of the Seas Med cruise, one of my shore excursions went down a considerable amount.  The "Cinque Terre Villages (Small Group)" shorex--that I purchased for $193.99 per person--was showing on the website for $159.99 pp.  Definitely worth dealing with.  

Just commenting on Cinque Terre.  We were there less than 3 weeks ago.  Crowds were tremendous, so you couldn't really do anything.  Three groups from the ship were late getting to the tender port, delaying departure.  So I wouldn't take that excursion unless you are going during the time of year when it is less crowded.  Instead, there is an excursion that does Portofino, Rappella, and S. Margherita.  We had a good review from another couple.  The point to Cinque Terre is to hike between villages.  If you aren't doing that, I'd rethink the excursion.  Or I would be sure that a meal is guaranteed.  The locals don't serve foreigners if there are Italian tourists waiting.

I just booked an excursion for next summer.  Initially it appeared to be $67.99.  Once I clicked on it it went up to $77.99.  I added it to my cart and did some more shopping. 

I decided to purchase it despite it being $10 more knowing I can cancel for a refund.  Going back to my cart it was in there at $67.99.  In the end I got for the lower price despite some drama on the way to get there.  Royal IT strikes again. 

Having an issue making cruise planner purchases (like lots of other people - I'll spare the details).  Click the link for customer assistance, click the link for send us a message.  Fill out the form, explain my issue, click send........get error message that says cannot submit message, please try again later.  

I don't want to call, I don't have time to sit on hold forever in order to buy a freaking internet package for a cruise.  Beyond frustrating.   

• 3 months later...

Worst customer service ever.  I was transferred several times, disconnected several times, and told there is nothin V they could do several times. I made reservations for my son and I, along with my sister and brother in law for same time my time dining. I also booked all our shows at the same time. I had everything perfectly lined up. A week later my son and I were the only ones on the my time dining reservation. No show reservations were showing for any of us. I told them why would I spend a combined $7000 on a cruise to not be able to eat together? I see my sister once a year!   They said it could be a glitch?! Unbelievable. So now I have to trust the 12th person I talked to to write an email to the department and wait back for a response?  What a mess. I would prefer to just get a refund for the whole thing. Now I have to fight 6000 passengers for the spare seats in the shows? That was the whole point of me reserving early. Ridiculous customer service. And on top of that not one customer service rep I spoke with could speak clear English and I am pretty sure they were all together at a call center passing me around.

I'm currently on Allure and have been surprised that almost all of the shows have plenty of empty seats once shows begin. I've been getting a lot of flack from my son for insisting we show up early to get a good seat and that all the shows are sold out, only for a lot of people to not show up. The only show that did not have empty seats was the comedy show, where the room is especially small. All my shows were booked near the end of the cruise and if I had known this was the case, I would have tried the stand by line earlier in the cruise.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:11 AM, FionaMG said:

@Bruin Steve, if you're high enough up the C&A ladder, try calling their number instead. Quite a few people have been reporting elsewhere that the wait times are much shorter (10-15 minutes) and the reps have mostly been able to resolve the problems. 

I agree completely, if C&A can handle your problem you might be in luck.  I've been lucky that my TA and or C&A have been able to take care of any pre cruise problems I've ever had.

Bill

19 hours ago, Melissa lendzyk said:

Worst customer service ever.  I was transferred several times, disconnected several times, and told there is nothin V they could do several times. I made reservations for my son and I, along with my sister and brother in law for same time my time dining. I also booked all our shows at the same time. I had everything perfectly lined up. A week later my son and I were the only ones on the my time dining reservation. No show reservations were showing for any of us. I told them why would I spend a combined $7000 on a cruise to not be able to eat together? I see my sister once a year!   They said it could be a glitch?! Unbelievable. So now I have to trust the 12th person I talked to to write an email to the department and wait back for a response?  What a mess. I would prefer to just get a refund for the whole thing. Now I have to fight 6000 passengers for the spare seats in the shows? That was the whole point of me reserving early. Ridiculous customer service. And on top of that not one customer service rep I spoke with could speak clear English and I am pretty sure they were all together at a call center passing me around.

I don't know when you're cruising, but you can email rcldining@rccl.com and tell them your seating preference.  I got this from Matt on one of his live Q&As last summer; he said to email them about 3 weeks before your cruise.  I did it before our last cruise and we were seated together as requested, but we were doing traditional dining.  I don't know how it would work for MTD.

Going back to the original post, I’d say cancel it and book with a reputable company onshore. Royal excursions are ridiculously overpriced. 

Our 3 day private/small group Israel tour was $337 per person. Royal’s equivalent was over $900 per person and from those that did the ship tour, there were many complaints