Do rooms have iron and shampoo?

ElmoHongZito

19 minutes ago, ElmoHongZito said:

First time cruiser packing for tomorrow sailing.

Hoping to be able to iron my shirts in the room (iron and iron board) and wife asking me if the rooms have shampoo and conditioner.

have a wonderful sailing!!

for your wife -- sometimes there is a general/3-in one shampoo/conditioner/shower gel inside but unless you are in a suite class, you typically don't have separate toiletry amenities like shampoo and conditioner. she will probably want to bring some of her own preferred brands - and can also bring little containers of them if she is trying to save on space. 😊

Sadly no. Now you can try (everyone here will jump on me for this). I have. You have a 50/50 shot of them finding it when they xray your checked luggage. Then instead of your bags showing up at your cabin, you will eventually have to go to the naughty room. Open bag in front of security. They will confiscate it and you can pick it up on a table of goods when you get off. I haven't had mine found and taken yet, but it is against the rules. Fire safety at sea etc. Now I never leave my steamer unattended and always holding till it cools off. I don't get the rule cause ladies can bring irons for their hair and can start fire just as easy. But that's allowed because? Woman insist? But fire rules is what it comes down to. 

Bring bounce wrinkle release spray or Downey wrinkle release spray.  You can try it out at home and see how it works. I’ve read if you keep your clothing in dry cleaning bags it doesn’t wrinkle(as much) but I’ve never tried this.  A ladies hair hot iron/curler is allowed.  I’ve never tried one to iron a piece of clothing, but I imagine it would somewhat work-you might try it at home on an old shirt first. 

i have used the dry cleaner bags but its a bit of a crap shoot, depending on how long they stay compressed within the luggage, etc. i've used them and found that the outside garments are okay but the ones in between get hella wrinkled -- but i also typically pack very far in advance and LOAD up my luggage so it could very well be operator error 😂

19 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

You can’t bring on irons. But usually on day one, they have a pressing service discount where they will press (not wash) as many clothes as you can fit in a bag they provide. We usually do this for our “formal night” clothes. I can’t remember the cost, but it wasn’t bad. 

I was counting on that pressing deal on our Liberty cruise in September, three previous cruises did have it, but alas they didn't have it available.

The early cruise bag-full pressing deal (if offered) and Downy Wrinkle Release are usually the best options.  I've also hung up things in the bathroom and left it there with the shower running full hot for a while - mixed success, plus it ties up the whole bathroom since it's hard to co-exist in that small space with the shower blowing off so much steam. 

Even without a discount, I find the pressing service is priced reasonably enough if you stick to "nice" clothes.  I forget the exact cost of the discounted pressing service, but my recollection is that it is usually around $20 for the bag.  Otherwise, I believe the charge is a few dollars per piece, depending on the piece (e.g., pressing a dress usually costs more than pressing a pair of trousers).  

As for the toiletries, unless you're in a suite, I would concur with the advice of others above to bring your own products. The "all in one" product in the shower-mounted pump has never been from a brand I recognized, nor has it ever visually appeared to be particularly compelling.  I'm not in a position to opine as to its quality because I've never been inclined to try it.  When we've sailed in RCCL suites in the past, we've had L'occitane products available to us. The non-suite offering, however, is not something I would personally want to depend on. 

21 hours ago, ElmoHongZito said:

First time cruiser packing for tomorrow sailing. 

Hoping to be able to iron my shirts in the room (iron and iron board) and wife asking me if the rooms have shampoo and conditioner. 

Thanks in advance.

You really don't need the prohibited iron.  Just steam your shirt in the bathroom when you take a shower, and it will dry essentially wrinkle free.  I was amazed how well my shirts held up just 2 weeks ago.  

21 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

You can’t bring on irons. But usually on day one, they have a pressing service discount where they will press (not wash) as many clothes as you can fit in a bag they provide. We usually do this for our “formal night” clothes. I can’t remember the cost, but it wasn’t bad. 

I have not gotten this deal.  I was charged by the piece for $3.99 each (wash & press), $2.99 for pressing only.

my only advice re: using a hair tool to "iron" your clothing would be to ensure that the wand is free from any lingering product (heat protectant, hair spray, etc) prior to heating up and applying to clothes. you would not want to damage your clothes with excess product 🙊

i also would caution the strength/temp of your wand - i know mine gets up to 450 degrees F so i would not be using that on some of my more delicate fabrics.

I've had great success with the Downy Wrinkle Release too - even on a linen dress. I spray everything as it comes out of the suitcase onto the hanger. It's not straight from the dry cleaner "pressed looking" but not close to a mess either.

Other obsessive things I do - fold my most wrinkle-prone items with tissue inside the folds and use packing cubes. Packing cubes have been discussed in a couple of threads previously. You would think that they would compress wrinkles, but no! If you fold carefully and pack them tight, everything seems to come out neater than when just set in the suitcase. Packing for a cruise is fun, so I don't mind doing that. Going home, well that's another story - I grumpily shove it all in the suitcase, spending as little time packing on the last day of my cruise as possible!

34 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

my only advice re: using a hair tool to "iron" your clothing would be to ensure that the wand is free from any lingering product (heat protectant, hair spray, etc) prior to heating up and applying to clothes. you would not want to damage your clothes with excess product 🙊

i also would caution the strength/temp of your wand - i know mine gets up to 450 degrees F so i would not be using that on some of my more delicate fabrics.

Being a guy with very short hair, the hair wand I bought for my cruises is solely for "ironing" clothes.  But like you, I'm very careful with the temperature.  My wand has variable temperature settings, so I go from the lowest to the "sweet spot" for the clothes I'm ironing. I always test it on the hidden portions of the clothes like the back of collars or the back of the button holes.

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

I have not gotten this deal.  I was charged by the piece for $3.99 each (wash & press), $2.99 for pressing only.

Sounds like it’s hit or miss then based on their reported experiences. I had it on my trip last September and was banking on having it on my upcoming December cruise.  Not a huge deal for myself, but my wife… if it’s not there I may never hear the end of it that night.