Ships with Starlink

2 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

here is something for you network people.  Yesterday I signed into my Microsoft account, and it would not let me until I verified it was me.  The problem is I was signing in from Canada.  Yes, I was between LA and Ensenada and my IP said I was in Canada.  Today I am in Ensenada, and I am showing I am in LA.

I think this is an example of the minor growing pains that Starlink will work out in the long run.

Up until a few months ago only residential and business accounts at fixed locations were approved to sign on with Starlink so they never had to deal with equipment on the go moving between countries.  Starlink's first dabble with mobility was with RV service that started not very long before maritime service was available.

Other satellite internet providers tunnel traffic back to a common site where it's placed on the internet.  Ships with Speecast or SES/O3b have a public IP address that only changes when a ship changes region such as going to Europe for the summer.  

Typically all Royal ships appear on the internet as if they are in Miami, at least when ships are in North America.  When I was on Ovation in New Zealand the ship's public IP address was based in Maryland.  That worked out well for my streaming services based in the US.

Until Royal and Starlink figure it out there may be some sporadic WiFi calling issues and some streaming services will deny streaming if you appear to be in another country.  When I go to Canada on land trips my Netflix account changes content that I can watch and ESPN+ completely cuts me off.   

This is some of the feedback that Royal will be providing to Starlink as their service provider.  There are some solutions but they tend to induce a small latency penalty.  

Great feedback.  Thanks for sharing.  

I am home and I was very happy with the Starlink on the Navigator of the Seas doing an Ensenada Cruise.  When doing a speed test, it did not look great BUT I was able to do all my work and stream movies at night.  On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was able to do Microsoft Team meetings with the camera of myself running.  During one of the meetings, I was able to do the Teams Meeting and Remote into our servers at work to check data for the meeting.  At night there was not much on TV, so I loaded Netflix on my laptop and watched movies without any delay.  If I get this type of service on my other cruises, I will be happy and will be able to work on vacation.

Note:  I work on Vacation to be able to take more vacations.  🙂

23 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

I am home and I was very happy with the Starlink on the Navigator of the Seas doing an Ensenada Cruise.  When doing a speed test, it did not look great BUT I was able to do all my work and stream movies at night.  On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was able to do Microsoft Team meetings with the camera of myself running.  During one of the meetings, I was able to do the Teams Meeting and Remote into our servers at work to check data for the meeting.  At night there was not much on TV, so I loaded Netflix on my laptop and watched movies without any delay.  If I get this type of service on my other cruises, I will be happy and will be able to work on vacation.

Note:  I work on Vacation to be able to take more vacations.  🙂

For Navigator that is a huge accomplishment!

On 11/19/2022 at 1:23 PM, Traveling Mike said:

I am cruising on the Navigator next week and wonder if it has Starlink.  I have searched and the only thing I can find is Matt's article from October 14th.  This was his list.  Can anyone help update the list? 

Note:  List below updated Nov 19, 2022

• Allure
  • Enchantment
  • Freedom
  • Independence
  • Jewel (very close)
  • Liberty
  • Mariner (very close)
  • Navigator
  • Oasis
  • Symphony

Harmony has it, just recently added - Facebook roll call confirmed with photos

18 minutes ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Ovation (and presumably also Quantum) won't be getting Starlink until their back in Alaska in late April.

The Starlink website still reads that the maritime Starlink service is only available in the US yet the coverage maps show the Med and some of the waters around Australia as available.  So I guess it's not surprising they aren't migrating those ships right now.