Tipping with 2 staterooms

GeorgiaMom

We have two staterooms booked on Independence in March. Our family is sharing one oceanfront balcony and a Promenade View directly across the hall. When tipping our room steward, does it matter if we do one combined envelope (for both cabins), or separate ones? Seems like a silly question, but want to make sure.

I am guessing you have kids because of your name and two cabins.  The basic gratuity comes automatically out, and I am assuming you are talking about tipping on top of that.  (Lots of assumptions).  I have traveled for years with me, and my son and I have always done my tip up front.  The room steward will introduce themselves the first day and that is when I give them a cash tip and apologize for what is going to happen.  I tell them my son will come in a leave a mess when I am not there, and I am sorry and hope the tip helps a little.  Now that he is grown up and I cruise alone I still give a tip the first day from habit.  I think most of the time it gives me a little better service and I feel better for asking for extras.