A new class of ships ?

Chili

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

I was just at the Captain’s corner on Ovation and someone asked about building smaller ships.

The Captain said Royal Caribbean is in the planning stage of a new class of ship. Something between Radiance and Voyager.

Has anyone heard of this?

Huge if true. Which I hope it is.

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've learned to take what Captains say at their on board events with a huge grain of salt  having heard a number of whale tales.  

I'm not saying it isn't true, but I've heard some good ones I'm glad I never posted. 

I know,the hotel manager seemed to be answering most of the questions when the captain was lost for words.

But it would be good,something like celebrity edge or smaller.
Fantastic for world cruises and they could get rid of some old junk.

And what made it a bit believable was he seemed confident and mentioned hydrogen but then wasn’t icon supposed to have that.

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

One I never posted but heard at Captains Corner: Symphony would be an Ultra Oasis class , longer and wider than her predessors.   Maybe partially true if measured in millimeters?   

So believe only half of what you see but nothing you hear at the captain’s corner.

Icon started at 200,000 tons and ended up at 251000 tons. If they want something between radiance and voyager, they are going to have to start with a yacht.  

I think ships like the Radiance class can last longer than historically ships did, because they are still relatively modern in design.  A large amount of balconies and good space for various venues that can change all the time.  Seems like previous generations of ships are much more behind the times when they hit 20 than the radiance class are, so Radiance class is well positioned for upgrades over time (upgrades, not full amplifications).  Of course there are maritime considerations (extra dry docks etc).  

Another thing, ship yard positions are valuable assets.  It is not easy to justify going smaller, unless you have a major brand repositioning.  Norwegian went (slightly) smaller with their new ships, but they are trying to position their brand more high end.  Royal is doing a great job making their ships modern and nicer in some ways, but they are not repositioning the brand really.  If they are going to dedicate a building slot they acquire in a ship yard to a smaller ship, at least for a long time it is going to probably go to Celebrity or Silversea where a ship that size will make more money than in the Royal Caribbean brand, in my opinion.  

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Icon could potentially knock the ball so far out of the park that the company may never look back at smaller options. That ship is a game changer. The “ship is the destination” talk will be non stop once she sets sail. Can’t wait to have a beer at the swim up bar! 

Yes but a swim up bar that seats 10 with 7000 onboard.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Time and again we hear that Liberty is a "numbers man".  Icon was always going bigger than Oasis, that was an easy call under Fain.  

Until there is new leadership I don't see the course changing.  

But as said the smaller ships are getting to their use by date and Royal is always going to need a class of ships to go through the Panama Canal  for Alaska ,And also smaller ports around the world.
Also I can see size restrictions in some places like the N.Z. fiords ,we already have restrictions on some of our islands.
If Royal limits it self to big ships ,it’s going to not be able to develop new markets in the future.  
Take ‘India ,one day could be a potential boom market and they can’t really feel out the market with a oasis.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

But as said the smaller ships are getting to their use by date and Royal is always going to need a class of ships to go through the Panama Canal  for Alaska ,And also smaller ports around the world.
Also I can see size restrictions in some places like the N.Z. fiords ,we already have restrictions on some of our islands.
If Royal limits it self to big ships ,it’s going to not be able to develop new markets in the future.  
Take ‘India ,one day could be a potential boom market and they can’t really feel out the market with a oasis.

Q class don't do the Panama Canal and will be a fixture in Alaska for the foreseeable future.  

Royal's approach to India has been to sell small ships like Empress to another line to develop that market and see if it's real or not.  It's not a bad strategy.  Sell old hardware so it's doesn't compete and steal market share from Royal elsewhere and let someone else go through the pains of growing a market from nothing.  If it works out then they can parachute in and dominate with big and wow.  If the market flops nothing lost.  

I just got off of an 8 night sailing and was surprised when the captain said that after Utopia there was going to be 4 more Oasis class ships built.  I had always thought that Utopia was to be the last of the Oasis class. I haven't seen or heard that anywhere else unless I missed something.  I take this with a grain of salt until I see something official, but if that is the case and there are supposedly 2 more Icon class ships, I don't see a smaller ship coming anytime soon.  

Over the years I've heard many whale of a story from different Captains.

Sometimes I think they must be sleeping on the corporate conference calls or daydreaming, then they mix up bits of information based on the snippets of what they heard in between head nods while dozing.  "Four"... snore... "oasis"... snore... "2027".... snore... "small".... snore.  At the next Captain's Corner this becomes "There will be four new small ships based on Oasis class in 2027".

I also think there are some Captains that like to stir the pot or stoke the fire in the rumor mills and they purposely introduce claims that never come to fruition.  

The reality is until Royal announces it publically nothing is cast in stone.   Everything is possible.

"Symphony will be the first Ultra Oasis Class" - said the Captain on Anthem one time.   In hindsight he probably mixed up talking points about Spectrum as the first Ultra Quantum concept ship being designed and Symphony which was being built at the time.