Regular People Cruising in a Radiance Class Aft Balcony - what are the pros and cons?

Mrs. Regular

Mr. and Mrs. Regular are at it again! Right now the sailing we are on in 2024 has availability on the Brilliance in an aft balcony for Alaska. I'm very tempted to move from obstructed view deck 7 to aft on deck 8 or 9. With the current deal it's only $150 more. Husband is unsure of the location, he typically prefers midship. Sometimes I get motion sick in the forward areas of a ship, but the last two sailings on Rhapsody and Anthem I haven't felt a thing in the very back of the ships. I would love a view of Alaska from our private balcony looking straight out 🙂 Any experiences with aft rooms on any Radiance class ships you can share would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Mrs. Regular
Adding name of the ship

we stayed in an aft-facing balcony on serenade of the seas a few years ago and LOVED it. there is something kind of insane about being about to look straight out and have the view to yourself. aft balconies are my absolute favorite and i would not hesitate to grab one!!

i also suffer from motion sickness -- never had a problem with it in that cabin.

the only thing you should be advised of, of course, is the walk from the elevators to the actual back of the ship to your cabin - but radiance class is a great size and you're not typically walking miles to get from one end to the other 😂

I've sailed in Alaska and other destinations in Radiance class aft balconies.  No issues with motion but I'm not sensitive to motion.

I'm currently in an aft balcony on Jewel as I type this.  Radiance class have some of the best aft balconies in the fleet. I always try to get one when I can.  The corner aft balconies are even better but go fast.  This time I'm in a non-corner deck 9 aft balcony.  Love the view.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f60ba8a6fabd4ec8087da0ac78364f9.jpeg

This mornings arrival into Cozumel from my aft balcony:

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

the only thing you should be advised of, of course, is the walk from the elevators to the actual back of the ship to your cabin - 

Second this. We found the trek back to the rear of the ship to be an annoyance and definitely the biggest downside. If you’re ok with a hike, you should be fine. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I've sailed in Alaska and other destinations in Radiance class aft balconies.  No issues with motion but I'm not sensitive to motion.

I'm currently in an aft balcony on Jewel as I type this.  Radiance class have some of the best aft balconies in the fleet. I always try to get one when I can.  The corner aft balconies are even better but go fast.  This time I'm in a non-corner deck 9 aft balcony.  Love the view.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f60ba8a6fabd4ec8087da0ac78364f9.jpeg

This mornings arrival into Cozumel from my aft balcony:

Thank you! I looked at your latest Alaska report and many of your pictures are broken links. I appreciate you sharing your current view on Serenade. We moved cabins 🙂

1 hour ago, BowTieBrigade said:

Second this. We found the trek back to the rear of the ship to be an annoyance and definitely the biggest downside. If you’re ok with a hike, you should be fine. 

I had an aft balcony on Odyssey which is a hike but it helps me get my step count up so I don't mInd it. 

On Radiance class it's not a hike.  On this cruise I can look down the hall as soon as I enter it and see my magnet has been moved so I know the cabin attendant has serviced my cabin.  It's much less of an issue on this class.  

At any rate I'll always accept the walk for the perks of an aft balcony.  

36 minutes ago, Mrs. Regular said:

Thank you! I looked at your latest Alaska report and many of your pictures are broken links. I appreciate you sharing your current view on Serenade. We moved cabins 🙂

My hosting provider where I kept my photos wanted $900 to renew.   I make zero dollars doing this so I declined their renewal.  So for now no images.  

Some aft balcony night sky pics.  It's darker on the aft so better for stargazing.

The white blob on the horizon is Adventure of the Seas who followed us up from Costa Maya last night

704318826_JWAftStars4.thumb.jpg.3f062438507867880696854f6d889396.jpg

The long exposure times blur the wake of the ship.

1192929242_JWAftStars3.thumb.jpg.1197056e4d7a55fc67caff72db4ae9bd.jpg

The first hints of sunrise appearing on the horizon as we approached Cozumel.

1473514149_JWAftStars2.thumb.jpg.4928d73ce386521f69040c4a6cb89176.jpg

These were taken with a phone so not my usual night sky photos from my more expensive gear.

Another observation just came back to me.

On Serenade in Alaska I would move around the ship and look for wildlife.  The helipad was freezing cold with the wind from the ship's forward motion.  Even with full jacket, gloves, hat and windbreaker it was chilling to the bone.  Back on my aft balcony I was in my t-shirt enjoying the sun with no apparent wind.  I spent hours out there.  

On 11/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, Mrs. Regular said:

Mr. and Mrs. Regular are at it again! Right now the sailing we are on in 2024 has availability on the Brilliance in an aft balcony for Alaska. I'm very tempted to move from obstructed view deck 7 to aft on deck 8 or 9. With the current deal it's only $150 more. Husband is unsure of the location, he typically prefers midship. Sometimes I get motion sick in the forward areas of a ship, but the last two sailings on Rhapsody and Anthem I haven't felt a thing in the very back of the ships. I would love a view of Alaska from our private balcony looking straight out 🙂 Any experiences with aft rooms on any Radiance class ships you can share would be appreciated, thanks!

I was just on Brilliance and had aft Jr Balcony.  One of the best cabins ever