Booked onboard - transfer to agent?

I personally do always. First I'll mention you don't get any better deal or sale or whatever by not using an agent. Royal Caribbean will actually actively encourage you to use an agent. Their main reason is when you need to change something or you have a question you go to your agent first and it helps reduce the load on their customer support staff. Its also similarly the reason I use an agent. Anytime you call Royal Caribbean they've got hold times and need to verify your account, etc. With an agent its typically a quick phone call or an email and if they can't answer your question then they'll get back to you. They're also very familiar with the ships themselves and can give you good recommendations.

If you are interested in getting an agent I'll plug the agent I use. Her name is Michelle Cunningham from MEI Travel. Michelle has been outstanding for all the cruises we've done through her. I typically book a my next cruise on board at NextCruise and later have her make tweaks to the reservation.

I personally do always. First I'll mention you don't get any better deal or sale or whatever by not using an agent. Royal Caribbean will actually actively encourage you to use an agent. Their main reason is when you need to change something or you have a question you go to your agent first and it helps reduce the load on their customer support staff. Its also similarly the reason I use an agent. Anytime you call Royal Caribbean they've got hold times and need to verify your account, etc. With an agent its typically a quick phone call or an email and if they can't answer your question then they'll get back to you. They're also very familiar with the ships themselves and can give you good recommendations.

If you are interested in getting an agent I'll plug the agent I use. Her name is Michelle Cunningham from MEI Travel. Michelle has been outstanding for all the cruises we've done through her. I typically book a my next cruise on board at NextCruise and later have her make tweaks to the reservation.

I'll add an endorsement for Michelle, too. I've referred a couple of friends to her and have received rave reviews. She's also been able to get us discounts or upgrades I didn't know we were eligible for and even told us about a loyalty match program on another line.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on our first Royal Caribbean cruise aboard the LOTS last month and followed everyone’s advice and booked our next cruise while onboard. We booked a seven-day on the Symphony of the Seas for July 2018. My wife and I are not big gamblers but received a certificate for a discount on our next cruise, so when I got home I called the number and to my surprise received a $2500 discount on the SOTS booking. My question is should I still follow the advice of everyone and transfer the reservation to a travel agent? And the second question is, we are Hilton Honors Gold members and has anyone transferred their reservation to Amex/Hilton Honors travel agents?

1 hour ago, godukes_2017 said:

After transfer to an agent, can you still access all of your reservation information on the RC website? Such as, excursions, drink packages, documents needed to print to take onboard, etc.?

Yes. The only thing you cannot do is change or cancel the original reservation. But anything in the Cruise Planner is still available to you.

Was kind of worried about doing so. I watched my first RC Blog live video last week, and having since transferred my booking to MEI, I have been blown away by the service received just in a few short days. They've already saved me money on what I had booked. I like still being able to access my documents, and book excursions, etc. They truly do look out for any way possible to save you money, or get you hooked with some OBC. I'm a customer for life.

51 minutes ago, godukes_2017 said:

Was kind of worried about doing so. I watched my first RC Blog live video last week, and having since transferred my booking to MEI, I have been blown away by the service received just in a few short days. They've already saved me money on what I had booked. I like still being able to access my documents, and book excursions, etc. They truly do look out for any way possible to save you money, or get you hooked with some OBC. I'm a customer for life.

I'm so glad to hear that. Thank you for supporting our sponsor!

Just FYI, I called and tried to move my booking to a TA and was told that in order to move my cruise it has to be within 60 days of when I booked the cruise and it can't be paid in full.  I booked my cruise in January so I was unable to move it even though my cruise isn't until December.

8 hours ago, megalodawn said:

Just FYI, I called and tried to move my booking to a TA and was told that in order to move my cruise it has to be within 60 days of when I booked the cruise and it can't be paid in full.  I booked my cruise in January so I was unable to move it even though my cruise isn't until December.

I did the same thing.  My agent told me she gets more perks/pay/etc if she does the entire booking, versus a transfer.  So, since we couldn't do the transfer anyway, she just started over for me, and I cancelled my original.  Now, I ended up paying a little more for the one she booked, but it wasn't enough to make me not want to do it.  She was stoked for the business (she's new to being a TA) and gave me the same OBC that RC was offering so I'm happy she can deal with everything now.