Next Cruise only valid for one year?

Bob Burd

I've had a next cruise that I put a deposit down in 2015.  It shows up in my reservations still.   The travel agency that I had is out of business so I wanted to change it to MEI. I call Royal up to see if I could do that or if I just have to do it when I want to do a cruise.   They said my next cruise expired because I had to use it within one year. The 200 I put in is forfeited they said.  I don't remember that being the case at all.  I thought you can book it anytime in the future with no expiration date. Before I send a not so nice email to where they said to send an email to that handled agency changes, I would like to get the experts which is usually the people on this board.  Thanks and if I'm wrong, then that is on me. I would never had done it in the first place.

The Book Later concept has a one year expiration date

*BOOK LATER: A nonrefundable deposit of $200 per stateroom and full names of each guest are required at time of booking. Additional deposits may be required when you select your ship and sail date depending on the type of stateroom/suite selected and number of passengers. All such deposits are nonrefundable. Ship and sail date are not selected at time of booking, but must be selected within one year, otherwise booking will expire and your deposit will be forfeited.

Thanks for the replies. I edited my response here.  The program must have been different as I found my original paperwork.  I actually did this in 2013.  The contract says specifically no expiration date.  I'm betting that they changed the program as this was a new program it says in the paperwork.  Now I just have to contact them which should be a lot of fun.

Edited by Bob Burd
new information

1 hour ago, Bob Burd said:

Thanks for the replies. I edited my response here.  The program must have been different as I found my original paperwork.  I actually did this in 2013.  The contract says specifically no expiration date.  I'm betting that they changed the program as this was a new program it says in the paperwork.  Now I just have to contact them which should be a lot of fun.

Yes the program has changed over time.  If you made the same future booking now it would expire in one year.  Your 2013 booking should be grandfathered if it remains unused.  

22 hours ago, Bob Burd said:

I was think as I read this that the program used to not have an expiration date, back a number of years.

Good find on the paper work, they should honor it with the paperwork.