Passport - timeline?

barjpoe

Here are the processing times taken directly from the US Passport website: (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html)

Routine: 6 to 9 weeks*

Expedited: Costs an extra $60. Takes 3 to 5 weeks.*

*Processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply.

Expedited at Agency or Center: Must have international travel in the next 14 calendar days.

We have never cruised with a passport before (3 times), but planned on getting them for our next cruise in Oct 23.  Well, decided that was too long to wait so we booked a Jan 23rd trip (Nassau and CoCo Cay).  I have the applications and an appointment on Monday at the post office, but I believe I am reading that we need to send in our original birth certificates.  The appointment is 9 weeks from sail date.  I have a certified copy I could send, but my wife just has one.

Do they need to hold the BC for the process?  

If they do, I don't think we are going to risk it and don't want to spend an extra $60 each to expedite.  If we get neither the BC or the Passports back in time, our trip is ruined.  Our mail has not always been the greatest either.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, brdjnr said:

update

on Dec 8th I received this email:

image.thumb.jpeg.d913520134b96e4de5e0b6699fe133f9.jpeg

On Dec 16th I received this emailimage.thumb.jpeg.f35cdc9303ce35d1303b8d32deeaeba0.jpeg

On the 17th I received my new passport.  Very smooth procedure doing the entire process online.  I received no instructions on what to do with my expired one, that may come later.

Did you do the expedited service or standard service? Resubmitted ours online before Thanksgiving and they are still “In Process”, but we did the standard service.

thanks!