Disney returning to in-person Muster Drill

• 2 months later...

The old muster drill was much more valuable to the crew than to passengers. I wonder if that's part of the issue.

It goes without saying that the old drill was by far the worst part of the cruise experience for basically every passenger. 

I wonder how long before NCL passengers blame contracting covid on the sardine can muster drill experience.

This has nothing to do with the muster drill (sorry)…just a comment regarding the “mask” situation on Explorer.

The day we boarded (Saturday) we noticed that ALL crew members were wearing masks.  This was a surprise and disappointment as it’s so hard to understand some crew members when they have to communicate with masks on. 😓. But the next morning, our room attendant told us that they had changed the rule overnight, and now only new crew were required to wear masks for some preliminary, undisclosed period of time.  Yippee !  The crew seem MUCH happier now than they were when we boarded, 4 days ago.

The reason for even bringing this up is that it appears that each ship must have the flexibility to implement some protocols (maybe just masks ?) at the discretion of the Captain or someone else, on board.  It seems that EX had been adhering to an “all masked crew” rule while other ships did not have that rule.  Maybe it depends on how many crew test “positive” during some time period…

19 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The reason for even bringing this up is that it appears that each ship must have the flexibility to implement some protocols (maybe just masks ?) at the discretion of the Captain or someone else, on board.

When Royal announced masks were optional for crew, they left a provision in they could be brought back if conditions were deemed appropriate

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/10/02/spotted-royal-caribbean-makes-face-masks-optional-crew-members

Masking for crew members may return as required should a ship deem it necessary based on internal factors the cruise line decides on.

We had a chat with our favorite server at Chops last night (he’s the best server we have ever had on any ship.  Simply great….  He also runs Chef’s Table here on EX).  He explained that every morning there is an Executive meeting where the senior officers and Dept heads meet to discuss pertinent info and make certain decisions.  The Chief Medical Officer (of course) is one of the Exec in attendance.  If there has not been a reported case of COVID in the past 2 days, protocols (including masking) are lifted.  If cases are reported, it is a decision between the Capt and CMO as to what protocols to implement…masking being one of the first to be implemented, apparently.  According to our server, all new crew must wear a mask full-time for 4 days after which time they are re-tested and if negative, may cease wearing a mask.  Crew always have the option to wear a mask if they choose, even if not mandated.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We had a chat with our favorite server at Chops last night (he’s the best server we have ever had on any ship.  Simply great….  He also runs Chef’s Table here on EX).  He explained that every morning there is an Executive meeting where the senior officers and Dept heads meet to discuss pertinent info and make certain decisions.  The Chief Medical Officer (of course) is one of the Exec in attendance.  If there has not been a reported case of COVID in the past 2 days, protocols (including masking) are lifted.  If cases are reported, it is a decision between the Capt and CMO as to what protocols to implement…masking being one of the first to be implemented, apparently.  According to our server, all new crew must wear a mask full-time for 4 days after which time they are re-tested and if negative, may cease wearing a mask.  Crew always have the option to wear a mask if they choose, even if not mandated.

Chris Wong explains this in his Sign on vlog. 

IMHO I have never understood the argument or push for all of these things. We saw from the restart that it didn't matter the Measures in place there was going to be cases. Just how viruses work to be honest. I was one that was comfortable if they would have just opened everything wide open to begin with. 

I'm ok if the crew chooses on their own to mask when and where they feel the need to do so.

I also understand that the cruise lines can't stand to have multiples of crew out sick either but I don't think this is any different then when there were Norovirus outbreaks or Flu/cold outbreaks before 2020. In fact we boarded Oasis just as they finished cleaning here in the same terminal as a norovirus outbreak. Didn't think anything of it.

As a classic reminder that viruses are going to virus with everything thrown at them. https://www.mynbc5.com/article/miami-cruise-ship-positive-covid-cases/38566444

Again not trying to start a debate on this subject just has me scratching my head that we are still doing these things.

3 hours ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

Chris Wong explains this in his Sign on vlog. 

IMHO I have never understood the argument or push for all of these things. We saw from the restart that it didn't matter the Measures in place there was going to be cases. Just how viruses work to be honest. I was one that was comfortable if they would have just opened everything wide open to begin with. 

I'm ok if the crew chooses on their own to mask when and where they feel the need to do so.

I also understand that the cruise lines can't stand to have multiples of crew out sick either but I don't think this is any different then when there were Norovirus outbreaks or Flu/cold outbreaks before 2020. In fact we boarded Oasis just as they finished cleaning here in the same terminal as a norovirus outbreak. Didn't think anything of it.

As a classic reminder that viruses are going to virus with everything thrown at them. https://www.mynbc5.com/article/miami-cruise-ship-positive-covid-cases/38566444

Again not trying to start a debate on this subject just has me scratching my head that we are still doing these 

"Again not trying to start a debate". 

Literally everything you are saying is opening up a window for just that. It's like saying your not trying to do that is your get out of jail free card to ramble on about your personal beliefs on Covid, Masks, etc. 

Everyone should just live by the, You Do You, I'll Do Me policy. 

EMuster is great. In Miami they tell you to get it done while waiting to board and go straight to your station. Of course 30min before we were scheduled to leave the message of how many people still needed to complete it came on. A new guest on my current sailing said they couldn't find theirs. Then other crew invited them to dining packages etc and they got sidetracked. This explains why there may be people struggling.

19 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Literally everything you are saying is opening up a window for just that. It's like saying your not trying to do that is your get out of jail free card to ramble on about your personal beliefs on Covid, Masks, etc. 

Agreed. You can't make statements like that and then say you're not trying to start a debate. This is an inflammatory topic and everybody's an expert. Best to just leave it alone

8 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

It's really not hard to enforce ... just turn off the seapass card if it hasnt been scanned at muster by xx time ... when they cant get into their room, get a drink, etc. they will come looking for help.

Shouldn't be hard, but then again we are dealing with Royal Caribbean I.T.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Great news @Matt. Interesting to note that the compliance rate is actually higher than the old muster drill. So reverting would actually make things worse.  In short, everyone's a winner with eMuster

On 1/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, BennyandBo said:

Yet here you are quoting me. This was and is my opinion, it's just as easy to keep scrolling or reading down the page. I literally said that everyone can do what they want for masks, I'm not going to judge. 🤷‍♂️

Everything I stated was pertinent info regarding the previous posts.

Have a good day.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:23 AM, Mike.s said:

On a recent Marella cruise you picked up your sea pass card from your muster station, if you didn't go to your station, no room access and no drinks. Didin't hear any announcements chasing people to complete their muster drill.

That's a great idea!!

I feel like the eMuster is getting better on Royal. My cruises in November had 400-500pax twenty minutes from departure being asked to complete it. It was only 200 on my Jan 15th Oasis sailing and I believe a good 10 on Grandeur this past week. 

The only issue with the cards being given at eMuster is whether the crew would be done cleaning the rooms. They won't. I like the crew at the terminals, hammering it to be done as quickly as possible when you board. 

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I've gotta admit I'm getting tired of... "This cruise line did X, does that mean...?"

A guy standing next me in an elevator farted, does that I mean I'm going to fart?  🙂 

Sometimes people fart.  That doesn't mean it's contagious.  

That was me.  Sorry @twangster, I thought I could keep it in.

eMuster works!
I know this because on every cruise I have been on since the restart (more than a few) there are always those announcements prior to the ship leaving the pier calling out the number of passengers who have yet to complete the drill. The admonishment is very clear…no muster, no sailing with us. And yet, to my knowledge, no one has been removed for failing to comply. Nor have we been delayed due to passengers not doing the drill…although technically it can still be done up to 24hr after we sail. Each sailing the captain has come on announcing our departure and thanking everyone for completing the drill.

Maybe someone on board now can find out…if not, I’ll ask when I go next week…what is the process for getting someone to comply. I’m thinking maybe they do deactivate the room key and when they show up at guest services they do the muster.

But even if there are those who need to be tracked down…is that number similar to those who needed to be tracked down for failing to show up to the old cattle call drill…forcing those of us who do comply to wait, and wait. Also, back then there were many people who went to their muster stations, scanned their cards, and managed to slip away prior to the start of the drill. Doesn’t make sense to go back to the old, crowded, packed together like sardines drill if eMuster works. Because it does. Especially in light of preventing the spread of sickness…not just Covid but Noro, flu, RSV, colds and other transmissible cooties. JMO.

42 minutes ago, BrianB said:

The admonishment is very clear…no muster, no sailing with us. And yet, to my knowledge, no one has been removed for failing to comply. Nor have we been delayed due to passengers not doing the drill…although technically it can still be done up to 24hr after we sail. Each sailing the captain has come on announcing our departure and thanking everyone for completing the drill.

From the blog post about Royal not returning to traditional muster: Mr. Purdy went on to say participation rates are higher with eMuster than the old way, "we're fairly aggressive about ensuring that you complete the safety drill prior to sailing. So we see rates typically upwards of over 97% on our ships for participation. That's actually better than the old traditional drill."

If they are happy with 97% participating in eMuster and that's BETTER than the old way, then the ship MUST be departing without everyone complying.  We get tons of complaints from one-time-posters about all kinds of ways Royal has wronged them, but I can't remember anyone claiming they were thrown off the ship for skipping muster/eMuster.  I've got to assume there's some threshold of participation that allows the ship permission from the Coast Guard to depart.  I also seem to remember hearing about a "makeup Muster session" on the first morning for those that arrived late or didn't participate.  (This memory is several years old so I don't remember details.)  If that's true, maybe they do have a way to require people to attend.

2 hours ago, Rogillioville said:

I’m on Allure right now and this morning cruise director Cory said that Royal Caribbean owns the patents to e-mustering and all the other cruise lines were leasing the rights to it.  He said Royal has no intent on going back to the old way.

I love Cory, he is funny. That's all. 

On 1/28/2023 at 6:04 AM, Atlantix2000 said:

If they are happy with 97% participating in eMuster and that's BETTER than the old way, then the ship MUST be departing without everyone complying.  We get tons of complaints from one-time-posters about all kinds of ways Royal has wronged them, but I can't remember anyone claiming they were thrown off the ship for skipping muster/eMuster.  I've got to assume there's some threshold of participation that allows the ship permission from the Coast Guard to depart.  I also seem to remember hearing about a "makeup Muster session" on the first morning for those that arrived late or didn't participate.  (This memory is several years old so I don't remember details.)  If that's true, maybe they do have a way to require people to attend.

On a cruise several years ago our cards were not registered at muster (old muster) for some reason and we were contacted and had to go to a muster the following day. I cannot remember how many people were there but it was a fairly large group

19 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

On a cruise several years ago our cards were not registered at muster (old muster) for some reason and we were contacted and had to go to a muster the following day. I cannot remember how many people were there but it was a fairly large group

I've had this happened twice to me so far. One problem Royal should address is their scanning tools don't allow them to manually enter passenger/room info if the card doesn't scan. They should at least have one member there was tablet to manually enter info if needed.

First time was on the Allure (pre covid), my sea pass card only had 1/2 the bar code printed so they couldn't scan. Had to go down to get it a new card and told this was discovered during the muster scanning, they said ok we'll put in in you did the muster (which they never did). Had to go a down to customer service again after it showed up on the TV I needed to attended the next day session.

Last cruise (post covid), they were scanning the set sail pass. Neither the paper copy or the copy on my phone worked. They had clipboard where they were recording names/room number of those where scanner wouldn't scan (we were on at 11:30 and it was already a page long). It kept showing up in the app I wasn't scanned, so when we got our rooms cards I went back down to the muster located and scanned again (this time it worked)