Transatlantic cruise on Enchantment

Bob Burd

Wife and I are thinking of doing a TA from Cape Liberty(we live in nj) to Rome.  It's on the Enchantment, which I know is a smaller ship.  The cruise is pretty cheap for the amount of days. I have some concerns that I figure others here could give their opinions.  I look at it as a good way to get to Italy for pretty cheap.  Almost the same as a flight from the NY area to Rome.

1) The ship is on the smaller side with not as much to do as compared to the bigger ships.  Is that a possible problem? 

2) is going across the Atlantic the first week of May a problem in the smaller ship and would it be warm enough to even go in the pools?

3) Do they do anything extra in regards to entertainment on such a long cruise.  I'm aware, the production shows would be the same, but what about the other entertainment?

4) is the menu different on such a long cruise? 

5) Do you go stir crazy on such a long trip?  We have done an 11 day before but that was on Anthem or Explorer.

6) Once in Italy, would you recommend a travel agent as we would want to stay a few more days. 

thanks in advance for any help.  It's a lot of time off of work and I already have 2 other week long vacations in 2023.  So on the fence.

I do transatlantic cruises every spring, for many years.  Weather is mostly good.   But I do always book a newer, larger ship. One, they will have solarium for sunbathing even if weather is bad.  Lots  more selections on dining and entertainment.  And overall newer nicer ships in my opinion.

When flying 1 way to or from Europe is about the same price as round trip airfare.  So, usually that is not a factor to me when doing a TA cruise.  Plus I usually use airline points for airfare.

Menu is not different.

I usually stay in Europe a few days after my TA.  Either at the port we disembark or I fly somewhere close I would rather see and stay a few days.  This past spring we few to London from Rome for 5 nights after the TA cruise.  I have been to Europe a lot, but if you have not I would advise using travel agent.

Have a great time!!!

I just did my first transatlantic in September and loved it. However, it was on a Disney ship with lots of activities and top quality shows to entertain us. The ship was beautiful and large and they were plenty of places to spread out and relax with a book or play a trivia game or just look out the window. We had several days of nice weather And there was lots of sunbathing and outdoor movies and things like that. We also had several days of rough weather but again, we had plenty to do inside the ship. In any case, I loved the experience so much I am looking to do more transatlantics in the future. I am actually considering the transAtlantic on enchantment as well! And I have the exact same questions, so I will be interested in the answers you get here. I have booked a cruise on the enchantment for January  to cruise around Florida and the Bahamas. I'm looking forward to enjoying some warm weather but I'm also using that as an opportunity to gauge how I feel about the ship and whether or not I want to spend two weeks on it. As for weather, you never know what you're going to get and it's always safe is to book a midship low level room for the least amount of movement. We ran into hurricane remnants on the September transatlantic on Disney, and the ship was really and truly rocking and swaying. To the point where we were hanging on walls and they canceled shows.  No one was scared and it wasn't serious, it was just eventful. I did not get seasick and found it somewhat interesting in a fascinating kind of way, and the weather cleared out within 48 hours.  

My personal taste, knowing myself is, I would best enjoy a transatlantic on a larger ship with a few more things and a few more shows to offer, and more room to walk around and explore. However I am not ready to rule out the possibility of a Transatlantic on Enchantment or a smaller ship. With so many days it seems no matter how much entertainment is on board, you're going to find yourself reading books and taking naps and watching movies and things like that. That was part of the appeal actually… It was surprisingly relaxing cruise.  

The transatlantic on Enchantment, unlike the transAtlantic on Symphony, has some really nice port stops.

9 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

I just did my first transatlantic in September and loved it. However, it was on a Disney ship with lots of activities and top quality shows to entertain us. The ship was beautiful and large and they were plenty of places to spread out and relax with a book or play a trivia game or just look out the window. We had several days of nice weather And there was lots of sunbathing and outdoor movies and things like that. We also had several days of rough weather but again, we had plenty to do inside the ship. In any case, I loved the experience so much I am looking to do more transatlantics in the future. I am actually considering the transAtlantic on enchantment as well! And I have the exact same questions, so I will be interested in the answers you get here. I have booked a cruise on the enchantment for January  to cruise around Florida and the Bahamas. I'm looking forward to enjoying some warm weather but I'm also using that as an opportunity to gauge how I feel about the ship and whether or not I want to spend two weeks on it. As for weather, you never know what you're going to get and it's always safe is to book a midship low level room for the least amount of movement. We ran into hurricane remnants on the September transatlantic on Disney, and the ship was really and truly rocking and swaying. To the point where we were hanging on walls and they canceled shows.  No one was scared and it wasn't serious, it was just eventful. I did not get seasick and found it somewhat interesting in a fascinating kind of way, and the weather cleared out within 48 hours.  

My personal taste, knowing myself is, I would best enjoy a transatlantic on a larger ship with a few more things and a few more shows to offer, and more room to walk around and explore. However I am not ready to rule out the possibility of a Transatlantic on Enchantment or a smaller ship. With so many days it seems no matter how much entertainment is on board, you're going to find yourself reading books and taking naps and watching movies and things like that. That was part of the appeal actually… It was surprisingly relaxing cruise.  

The transatlantic on Enchantment, unlike the transAtlantic on Symphony, has some really nice port stops.

I am waiting for the transatlantic cruises for 2024 to be able to book.  I think this week.  Next spring we are on Odyssey TA and has lots of nice ports. 

Great question! It would depend on what you want on a cruise. The activities and entertainment as well as dining options will be significantly less than on a larger ship. However, some love the intimacy of a smaller ship and Enchantment is known for great service. If you mainly want to relax and do not need the bells and whistles, it can be a great option.

I wonder about how the ship will feel at times when the weather gets rough or Captain going quickly. It can be felt in the big ships, so I wonder how it would be on Enchantment on a TA.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, Adriana said:

Great question! It would depend on what you want on a cruise. The activities and entertainment as well as dining options will be significantly less than on a larger ship. However, some love the intimacy of a smaller ship and Enchantment is known for great service. If you mainly want to relax and do not need the bells and whistles, it can be a great option.

I wonder about how the ship will feel at times when the weather gets rough or Captain going quickly. It can be felt in the big ships, so I wonder how it would be on Enchantment on a TA.

This is all sooo true.  Batman362