Changes to the app (also 🦞 controversy?! )

ZBrady

So looks like there have been some changes to the RC app recently. 

1) You are able to reserve drink packages in the app  

2) Not sure if you were able to do this in the past but I’ve now noticed you can view ships/sailings for things you haven’t booked.

3) A post in a FB group lead me to an upcoming sailing on Symphony and this particular section of their MDR dinner menu.

C40F4D9E-1218-4CF0-85B8-7922BC4B4BE7.png

9A44DB4F-E18C-4AF9-9167-7245F7D4F165.png

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maine cold water lobster has not been included before.  Warm water Caribbean lobster has typically been served on select formal nights on a complimentary basis for medium and long cruises.  

What's the controversy? 

I think it's the additional charge for extra lobster. 

11 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I think it's the additional charge for extra lobster. 

The MDR offers upgrades like a Chops Steak and Maine lobster.  These types of extra cost options have been around for years.  I don't recall Maine lobster being unlimited.  I don't think the Chops steak upgrade is unlimited either.  You get one.  

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maine cold water lobster has not been included before.  Warm water Caribbean lobster has typically been served on select formal nights on a complimentary basis for medium and long cruises.  

What's the controversy? 

It seems like on this particular sailing they replaced the unlimited warm lobster with the choice of one complimentary cold water with the option to purchase additional - the discussion other places had people claiming they would cancel their cruise; but usually here people are more - how do you say - rational?

41 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

It seems like on this particular sailing they replaced the unlimited warm lobster with the choice of one complimentary cold water with the option to purchase additional - the discussion other places had people claiming they would cancel their cruise; but usually here people are more - how do you say - rational?

I've been known to book a cruise to try to get some tail but I've never canceled a cruise for lack of succeeding.  

Other app problem I've been having - I open the app & only see one upcoming cruise (usually the one  I looked @ last), but not the other 2. I've tried signing out, & signing back in, sometimes that works. I look at one cruise, try to switch sailings, nothing else showing. I clear the cache, that works once & then I can't see my other sailings again. Same with force stop. I've deleted & re-installed the app, and this morning it's the same thing.  

Anyone else have this glitch??? It's driving me buggy

19 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Other app problem I've been having - I open the app & only see one upcoming cruise (usually the one  I looked @ last), but not the other 2. I've tried signing out, & signing back in, sometimes that works. I look at one cruise, try to switch sailings, nothing else showing. I clear the cache, that works once & then I can't see my other sailings again. Same with force stop. I've deleted & re-installed the app, and this morning it's the same thing.  

Anyone else have this glitch??? It's driving me buggy

This was happening to me last night. On my iPhone - All of my upcoming cruises would show up, but then once I selected one further in the future if I tried to go back to the full list, only the later one and those after would show up. I signed out, quit the app, waited a minute, then signed back in and they all would be there. It did not work if I did not quit the app. I did not have to clear the cache, but it happened a couple times. They have added several new features to the app, so hopefully will be resolved as they troubleshoot. For now, I figured I know how to work around it and will try to be patient with fingers crossed.

I get it that it’s not a bad price when you’re not purchasing them in the area lobsters are brought in to port.  

I’m sure people from the Pacific Northwest are dumbfounded by what we’re willing to pay for wild caught Sockeye Salmon up here in northern New England  

1 hour ago, teddy said:

I wasn’t trying to come across like a jerk or arrogant back up there and I’m sorry if I did.   I was expressing my amazement at how much lobster tails cost vs. how much the whole lobster is locally.   I know it’s not apples to apples. 

Didn't take it that, no worries.  Just pointing out that the price of an uncooked item at a grocery store isn't a fair basis of comparison to the price of an entree in a restaurant.

I think in my lifetime of cruising I got the daily classics once (NY Strip) and wasn't impressed. Flavor was good, but the texture was just odd.

That said, the classics, being rather basic and bland, were good for those with dietary restrictions in situations the other stuff couldn't be adapted too easily. I'm sure they've kept that in mind with the change.

20 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I think in my lifetime of cruising I got the daily classics once (NY Strip) and wasn't impressed. Flavor was good, but the texture was just odd.

That said, the classics, being rather basic and bland, were good for those with dietary restrictions in situations the other stuff couldn't be adapted too easily. I'm sure they've kept that in mind with the change.

I like having a few more choices than just a few selections, especially since Royal rarely changes them up. 

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I had the same experience with the NY Strip. The texture was like the sole of a shoe.  (It didn't help that it looked like one).

Did some quick menu counts.

Appetizers:

Test menu: 6

Previous: 10

Entrees (ignoring upcharge items):

Test menu: 7

Previous: 9

Deserts:

Test menu: 6

Previous: 9

It appears the Cruise Classics part of the menu is rotated through over the course of the sailing instead of being available every evening. As others have said, lobster is now cold water Maine lobster, which has never been included as part of the base fare before to my knowledge. A couple of items looked to be improved versions of what's offered on other ships.

Overall, at least to me, it's a big meh. If it improves kitchen consistency, I won't even notice the missing items. 

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I agree steak is the only thing I was looking at, however they did get rid of shrimp cocktail every night and that is going to disappoint my son.  He absolutely loves shrimp cocktail.  They do still have it 3 nights.  Also, Salmon was his backup when he didn't like other stuff, so he will just end up with something off the kids menu if he doesn't like the normal stuff.  They do have a variety of fish every night so he will like that.  Overall it isnt too bad, but people are complaining about the limit on tails, but honestly it is a better and larger tail you are now getting.  I wouldn't have gotten more than one anyways.   We will probably get one for the kids to share and eat what they don't eat.  I planned to pair it with steak anyways.

Sorry, but I don’t buy their “efficiency” explanation.  IMO this is cost savings move and nothing more.  The MDR continues its downhill slide.  I’m shocked that they haven’t yet declared that this “upgrade” to the menu is intended to “enhance your cruise experience”.  I’m sure that’s coming….  After some period of time, once people stop going to the MDR altogether, they will enhance our cruise experience again by ending the complimentary MDR option altogether because passengers were “choosing other options”.  Penny-pinching at it’s finest.

Haven't looked but maybe warm water lobster are in short supply.  Maybe the seafood ships that harvest them are low on supply.  Supposedly Alaska crab have disappeared.  

It could be this is in reaction to supply chain differences.  Instead of eliminating a crowd favorite they might be trying to find a compromise.  

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll be curious to see if the classics are truly off the menu or just not on the menu for the sake of the trial to get better metrics.

On Cunard they don't even put the plain chicken/steak/salmon on the menu.  But it's available if you don't like anything else.

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My daughter will be sad to not always have the pasta bolognese and the strip steak as options, they were frequently her go-to's.  It was almost like the "picky teen menu"