Alaska-Our First Time and Bringing My Mom

Va4fam

Hello everyone.   We are beginning to plan a 2024 Alaska cruise for myself, wife, 24 yo daughter, 22 yo son, and my Mom (just turning 80 this month).  My wife and I had planned to go next year for our 30th Anniversary but need to hold off for a year to align with everyone's schedules.   

All but my mom have cruised Royal before (Anthem, Freedom, Brilliance for the kids), many more for us.

We are excited to take this trip but understand an Alaska trip may include a lot of port stops and physically demanding excursions.  My mom is active and walks every day but I don't want to subject her to activities that are too strenuous (no snorkeling, maybe no hiking).   

Since it's her first cruise and we don't want to overdo it, would we be better off on Ovation of the Seas with a R/T itinerary and more to do on the ship...............OR a smaller ship like Radiance with a one way itinerary but less to do on the ship?   I think my Mom would get a kick out of the cool technology on a Quantum class ship, but we want to enjoy the sights and see Alaska too.  What are some excursions that would be appropriate and entertaining for young adults and a grandmother?   

I think my wife and I will enjoy it and try to go back in a few years.  I am trying to run a marathon in all 50 states and would like to pair up one of the Alaska marathons before a cruise.

What say you, wise RC Bloggers?

You're going to have a wonderful time… Alaska is amazing. And what a great way to spend quality family time together. I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. Certainly they are very different as you already know, but whatever you decide, it's going to be a lovely ship with a lot of nice stuff. Serenade is quieter but has plenty to offer, with lots of glassed areas to gather for watching the scenery go by.
If you have a hunch she'll enjoy the Ovation technology, why not go with that one? If she enjoys people-watching that's a great one… You can always watch folks doing the bumper cars or the rock climbing wall or the I Fly! (And your adult kids would probably love the Seaplex!) She might also enjoy doing the North star on board--that's a fun, harmless thing to do---and makes for amazing pictures. As for excursions, there are plenty of things to do that don't require lots and lots of walking. There are so many YouTube videos out there on what to do in Port, from free and easy to super expensive. I would start with YouTube, maybe "Parodeejay," they have tons of Alaska videos out on what to do, and even vlogged their Alaska cruise on Serenade.

I believe you can simply take a bus over to the Mendenhall glacier visitor center and that's a wonderful excursion for the day. Lots to see in the visitor center, and plenty of room to hike around outside for great pictures and a little bird watching. 

Ketchikan has the Great American lumberjack show. That's a real hoot and within easy walking distance of the ship.

juneau is a good port for a whale watching excursion. You would get picked up close to ship and taken to your whale watching boat if you pre-book.

What about the White Pass Railway? A really good excursion if you have good weather and a clear day, and it's not a long walk to it from the ship. There are also options to go to salmon bakes at lovely outdoor venues, or even take a boat ride around to see scenery. My sons and my mom did this (my kids were young) and the ship incorporated some crab pot catching. Then they went to a big crab-leg dinner afterwards. They also did an excursion whete they met sled dogs and saw them demonstrate their stuff, and the kids got to hold puppies afterwards.

when we were in Skagway, we bypassed everyone selling tours and found a cab driver standing around. We asked him to take us to see eagles. My husband is a photographer and had a lense on his camera as long as my leg. The driver took us to a local park where everyone was catching salmon and cleaning them right on the beach. The trees were filled with eagles! They would swoop down for the fish guts. My husband got tons of pretty pictures and then got some of a bear and cub at the park across the street! (Using the mega lense--we didn't approach!)

so...lots of room to create unique and amazing memories of your own.

And of course, you'll have days at sea set aside for glacier viewing all day. So there's plenty of room for active and mildly active things to do. 

sounds like the family trip of a lifetime!

I would plan the cruise that better suits you and your children.  Alaska is a rugged landscape and sometimes the weather can be quite chilly and/or rainy, which makes shore excursions a bit uncomfortable.  Don't worry--definitely no snorkeling up there (ha-ha).  My husband and I are pretty active and we did zip-lining and rappelling in giant trees, helicopter to M. glacier to take a hike wearing crampon boots, rock climbing, small boat cruising to search for wildlife, lots of walking, etc.  We had a wonderful time with many great memories, and I think your children would really appreciate all the adventures.

All of this is a preamble to say I have sailed with both my mother and MIL in their 80s (on multiple different cruises), and their biggest enjoyment was eating dinner with their family every night and being waited on!  They also liked meeting up to see a show, or do a simple activity on board (watercoloring, bingo).  My mother would do one easy excursion one day, and then want to stay on the ship for a few days.  My MIL needed a portable wheelchair in case she got exhausted, or when the walking became too much.   They also became a bit tired and overwhelmed just trying to negotiate the ship and learn where everything was.  You also might want to treat your mother to the spa.

Yes, the destination is an important part of the cruise for many of us, but there are also a significant number of people who just enjoy being on a cruise ship and soaking up the experience.  Since this is your mom's first cruise, so you want her to truly enjoy all the ship offers!  You can review the excursions in advance and try to see which might interest her, and which look the least strenuous.

Have a great time planning and a wonderful cruise!

We did the Northern Passage (Radiance) with a 3 day land tour post cruise and loved every minute.  We didn't do any strenuous as Hubby just had a stint placed a month prior but we saw whales, eagles, totem poles, glacier caving, dog sledding demo, panned for gold, rode the train and etc.  There are excursions to fit all fitness levels.  There were all ages on that cruise. 

We just booked the Ovation for June 2024 yesterday taking the family.  We booked 4 Jr suites.  We will be in our mid-60's and the youngest will be 16. 

It will definitely be fun planning this bucket list adventure. 

My Mom is very independent and active which is great, but I worry she will be hesitant to stay behind if we do an excursion without her.  

Everyone is just excited to go and comfortable leaving all the details and planning to me.  I would prefer to book a one way cruise, on Ovation, and have great weather.  Unfortunately I can't control the weather and Ovation doesn't do one way Alaska cruises.    I'm leaning towards a late May or early June 2024 trip and hope to make it to Skagway, Icy Strait, see the lumberjack show, do the railroad, and sled dogs!   And someone mentioned there was  great beer to try in Alaska....what was it and where do you get it?

Loved the railroad.  When I went with my 82 year aunt and my siblings, we had split up who would do something with our aunt and who would do something independently.  Most of the times we were together, like the the railroad.  But while my husband and I did the biking, my siblings took my aunt on the helicopter ride to a glacier.  I also think my aunt skipped a shore excursion or two because she has been to Alaska many times before.  Have fun.  Get input from your mom and kids.  See what everyone's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices are.  

11 hours ago, Va4fam said:

And someone mentioned there was  great beer to try in Alaska....what was it and where do you get it?

Check out Alaskan Brewing Company.  https://www.alaskanbeer.com/visit/

They should have distribution all around Alaska, so you should be able to order it at most restaurants/bars at any port I would imagine.

So far I am leaning towards one of the Quantum class ships. 

Next question....there will be 5 of us.  Most likely will book 3 balcony rooms and have to pay a single supplement for my mom's room.

Is there a larger suite that can accommodate 5 of us that wouldn't be significantly more expensive than 3 balcony rooms?

29 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Next question....there will be 5 of us.  Most likely will book 3 balcony rooms and have to pay a single supplement for my mom's room.

Is there a larger suite that can accommodate 5 of us that wouldn't be significantly more expensive than 3 balcony rooms?

I believe that some suites have only a single bedroom while the larger suites only only 2 bedrooms.  So I am not sure if the suites will give you want you are looking for. 

What we have done when we have gone on long trips is one person would be in an interior room just for sleeping.  Then that person would join the family to hang out on the balconies. Not sure if that would work for your family. 

11 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I believe that some suites have only a single bedroom while the larger suites only only 2 bedrooms.  So I am not sure if the suites will give you want you are looking for. 

What we have done when we have gone on long trips is one person would be in an interior room just for sleeping.  Then that person would join the family to hang out on the balconies. Not sure if that would work for your family. 

Since it's my Mom's first cruise I want her to have a balcony, my daughter also is now a balcony snob after getting relegated to an interior and a virtual balcony on previous cruises (they were in JS this Summer).    Seems like I need one of those 2 story suites with multiple bedrooms and a slide!   Looks like a Royal Loft suite can accommodate 6 people.

13 hours ago, Va4fam said:

Since it's my Mom's first cruise I want her to have a balcony, my daughter also is now a balcony snob after getting relegated to an interior and a virtual balcony on previous cruises (they were in JS this Summer).    Seems like I need one of those 2 story suites with multiple bedrooms and a slide!   Looks like a Royal Loft suite can accommodate 6 people.

Just be careful. For example, Radiance has a 2 bedroom Owners Suite.  It says it can sleep 8 but it only has 2 bedrooms with either 2 t win beds or a single King bed and a double sleep sofa. The Royal Loft Suite has the same.

So the question you will need to answer is who is willing to sleep on the sleep sofa in the living room area?  It may be just me but I would want a bedroom with a door, even if I am cruising with my family.  But the lure of a suite may outweigh my discomfort of sleeping on a sleep sofa in the living room.  YMMV. 

48 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Just be careful. For example, Radiance has a 2 bedroom Owners Suite.  It says it can sleep 8 but it only has 2 bedrooms with either 2 t win beds or a single King bed and a double sleep sofa. The Royal Loft Suite has the same.

So the question you will need to answer is who is willing to sleep on the sleep sofa in the living room area?  It may be just me but I would want a bedroom with a door, even if I am cruising with my family.  But the lure of a suite may outweigh my discomfort of sleeping on a sleep sofa in the living room.  YMMV. 

That's good advice about the types of beds.  I haven't even considered bathrooms yet, not sure if the suites have more than one bathroom?

My wallet prefers we book 3 balconies even if one of them also pays the single supplement.

On 11/15/2022 at 5:50 AM, Va4fam said:

So far I am leaning towards one of the Quantum class ships. 

1. YASS!!! Quantum Class is great!  Even at full capacity, PLENTY of room to sprawl out and tons of quiet lesser-frequented areas to relax and enjoy.

2. The Ovation has a kind-of-secret room.  I think I saw it on YouTube (JT the Nomad).  There is a a door that looks like a stateroom door, that leads to a tiny hall where there are two (2) more doors.  One door leads to a balcony suite and the other door leads to a windowless single occupancy room.  It is very unique.  The suite can accommodate 4 of you easily.  The single room can give your mom privacy while being connected through the mini-hallway.  Words do not do this option justice and I don't know more details.  Try looking it up.  It WILL be cheaper than three (3) rooms.  If I find more info, I will post here.

3. We did not do any physically demanding excursions on our Alaskan cruise.  We are relatively young with a 14 year-old and a 9 year-old.  We walked, but honestly, outside of hiking (which I wish we did), the port towns are small and your mom, depending upon her own limitations, should do just fine.

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

1. YASS!!! Quantum Class is great!  Even at full capacity, PLENTY of room to sprawl out and tons of quiet lesser-frequented areas to relax and enjoy.

2. The Ovation has a kind-of-secret room.  I think I saw it on YouTube (JT the Nomad).  There is a a door that looks like a stateroom door, that leads to a tiny hall where there are two (2) more doors.  One door leads to a balcony suite and the other door leads to a windowless single occupancy room.  It is very unique.  The suite can accommodate 4 of you easily.  The single room can give your mom privacy while being connected through the mini-hallway.  Words do not do this option justice and I don't know more details.  Try looking it up.  It WILL be cheaper than three (3) rooms.  If I find more info, I will post here.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions @CruisingNewb.  I am watching a few of JT's videos on Youtube and one of them shows he booked a SOLO Balcony room on Ovation.  Does anyone know how many rooms are like that on Quantum or Ovation, and if the price is better than paying for a single supplement in a regular balcony cabin?

On 11/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, Va4fam said:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions @CruisingNewb.  I am watching a few of JT's videos on Youtube and one of them shows he booked a SOLO Balcony room on Ovation.  Does anyone know how many rooms are like that on Quantum or Ovation, and if the price is better than paying for a single supplement in a regular balcony cabin?

Sorry, JT has a second channel.  I posted the link.  Watch it.  This seems to fit your needs in many, many ways.  I bet its cheaper than 3 rooms.