Majestic Princess docks in Australia with 800 covid passengers

BigKarl

44 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

The only bad news here is that they decided to test asymptomatic passengers.  I understand this is Australia, but let's be sure, this would not happen in the US.  This type of blanket testing runs completely counter to any CDC or ID standards or recommendations.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If the worst case on board was a mild cold, what was the trigger to start mass testing?

Based on current Australian requirements for cruising, all guests will require a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding:

• Within 24 hours for Rapid-Antigen Test (RAT)
  • Within 48 hours for PCR

They definitely need to test to board, not researching it completely as i don't plan for a cruise from there in near future, but could have been a New Zealand requirement or a coming back to Australia requirement.

Good news all were Asymptomatic or mild.

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If the worst case on board was a mild cold, what was the trigger to start mass testing?

The point of testing and masking is to try and reduce the transmission and further illness and death.  Yes, most people who get COVID are not dying these days and yes, birth is fatal 100% of the time.  BUT this is a disease that we actually can decrease with some precautions.  Death rates are down but we are still losing thousands of people a week in the US.  

image.png.4c9e47d162a8878feefe4ae7f1a420ef.png

This is like the Radiance leaving port every Saturday with a full cruise and coming back a week later with no living passengers.  If that was actually happening, people would likely be less flippant about precautionary measures.   

1 hour ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Death rates are down but we are still losing thousands of people a week in the US.  

Not that I want to debate this here, but remember this is people who die within 30 days of a positive test, not specifically people who die with covid as a primary cause.

2 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

The point of testing and masking is to try and reduce the transmission and further illness and death.  Yes, most people who get COVID are not dying these days and yes, birth is fatal 100% of the time.  BUT this is a disease that we actually can decrease with some precautions.  Death rates are down but we are still losing thousands of people a week in the US.  

image.png.4c9e47d162a8878feefe4ae7f1a420ef.png

This is like the Radiance leaving port every Saturday with a full cruise and coming back a week later with no living passengers.  If that was actually happening, people would likely be less flippant about precautionary measures.   

As I agree with @smokeybanditsentiments, and do not wish to engage in a Covid debate; i must say at least one thing.

Snapshot statistics, such as this, do more harm to the argument than help; this chart states absolutely NOTHING relevant 

What I take away from the published articles is that masking is helpful, but not sufficient.  We probably need more people to get vaccinated and stay up-to-date.  Both my wife and I masked aggressively on recent cruises (June and November), and on each trip one of us got ill by the end of the trip.  We have all the shots you can get, so our cases were mild, but we got Covid from someone.  Most ship guests and many members of the crew don't mask, so the Princess article shows that this virus, which is very contagious, will spread significantly.  And it will spread on land, on airplanes, on cruise ships, everywhere.  We decide how to live our lives, we assess risk, and we still travel.  But we will all be a little safer if we are all a little healthier.

The stats on repeated Covid infections aren't good, but we can help each other avoid the worst.  By masking, my wife and I help the rest of you avoid whatever germs we might otherwise be spreading.  I ask you to consider doing the same when it is appropriate (on land, air, or sea), and we'll all enjoy vacationing a little more because of our coordinated efforts.

Whatever you choose to do, please enjoy your next cruise.  I know we will.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:35 PM, PG Cruiser said:

The only potential benefit I see here is Royal bringing back the double points promo. I don't mind being a "Pandemic Pinnacle."

Sorry, sorry, sorry... I haven't quite figured out the differences between causation, correlation, and delusion.

You might want to trademark pandemic pinnacle, I can see that catching on lol

I'm just sad that I won't be able to go to Australia now or ever, been saving and planning a trip there for years and was all set to go in 2019 but that as the year of the big fire so I decided to put it off to the next.. As everyone found out that obviously wasn't going to happen or for the next couple years. Even though things seem to be looking better it still feels very uncertain and I may now not ever get to go.

• 1 month later...