Sprinkle Time Cupcake Decorating Class

CaitlynRC

I have just noticed the cupcake decorating class on our cruise. I have tried doing a quick search on this forum but not much about it has come up. Just wondering if this is new or if anyone has done this class before? Its currently $60 (NZ) which seems steep for not knowing exactly is involved. 

My kids (and my mother in law) did this in 2014 and my oldest did it again in 2017 on Freedom Class ships, so it has been a while, but they all really enjoyed it. Of course, I paid somewhere around $30pp USD back then which was completely worth it. I feel like I remember it taking around an hour each time. The first time, they made a lion and a frog and the chef was hilarious. He really made the class worthwhile. The second time was less engaging but they did a harder form of decorating by making a cupcake "hamburger." And this was before the big 'cakes that look like other items' craze. They also could just plain decorate a second cupcake and play with fondant, etc. They gave them all of the pieces and then walked them through the steps to create the items. I think the second time we ended up with 4? cupcakes total at the end - two that my oldest made, and two from the bakery display case. I remember they sat in our room for a while because we were getting so many other desserts throughout the day.

That was our experience, and here are a few photos. I have no idea how much it may have changed since then. 

20140425_202126.jpg

0409172026a.jpg

0409172047.jpg

I was interested in purchasing this for my 2 daughters, however, I was wondering if the class allows for the parents to observe/assist or if this class is only for those who reserved.  I'm not fond of cupcakes nor decorating 🤷‍♂️, but my daughters would really enjoy the class.  I'm just interested in being there with them as they have fun and enjoy themselves.

1 hour ago, twodaend said:

I was interested in purchasing this for my 2 daughters, however, I was wondering if the class allows for the parents to observe/assist or if this class is only for those who reserved.  I'm not fond of cupcakes nor decorating 🤷‍♂️, but my daughters would really enjoy the class.  I'm just interested in being there with them as they have fun and enjoy themselves.

If I remember correctly you can watch.  It is just sometimes a small space and you would have to stand the entire hour.  I have done it a couple times and was fun.

4 hours ago, CaitlynRC said:

I have just noticed the cupcake decorating class on our cruise. I have tried doing a quick search on this forum but not much about it has come up. Just wondering if this is new or if anyone has done this class before? Its currently $60 (NZ) which seems steep for not knowing exactly is involved. 

I have done this  twice before and really enjoyed it.  Although it was more like $30.  I do not think I would do it for $60.   I have celiac, and it was nice they also had gluten- free cupcakes to decorate.

11 hours ago, CaitlynRC said:

What ship are you on?  I just looked up the cupcake class on 3 of my cruises I have booked and all say $34.99.  Just curious

14 minutes ago, Debsters41 said:

May I piggyback on this thread and ask how  awkward it would seem for a couple of childless 60 year olds to participate?

In our experience, when they have adults sign up, they try to put them together to decrease the awkwardness… on one cruise where my daughter was signed up, we received a notice in our room that her class had changed times. Not a big deal but inquired at guest services and they said they had made her original class an adult class, so they figured she preferred to be with other children. Sign up! Hopefully if other adults want to join in, you won’t be alone 😃

18 hours ago, twodaend said:

We didn't understand the designations the first time we signed up - there was an adult class and a child class and we just thought the child class was "child friendly" as in the children could join and it would be appropriate but should still have an adult with them. Well, my mother in law was the ONLY adult participating in the child class. The other adults all watched from the edges or just outside of the shop. She didn't care and had an absolute BLAST with the chef and all the kids. 

P.S. You can see in my first picture above how the parents were standing just outside the shop watching their kids participate.

• 3 months later...

We just got off of Oasis a few days ago and we had a wonderful family vacation! However, a quick heads-up to future Royal Caribbean cruise parents... we were disappointed with the Sprinkle Time Cupcake Decorating Class touted as a culinary course to learn to decorate freshly baked cupcakes.

Our two girls (youngest is 7yrs old) are baking fanatics so this would be a fun treat for them so we decided $47 + tax each was pricey but fine. As you can see from the photo, it turns out to be a single cupcake and a few balls of fondant. It takes place in the middle of the Sugar Beach candy store during store hours and is run by the cashier.

Our eldest followed the cashier’s instructions and did her cupcake on her own, however the cashier was jumping in and doing a significant portion of the younger kids’ tasks for them. The 45 minute class was done in exactly 20 minutes and the cashier was back helping customers with their candy orders. $100 fee for this Royal Caribbean International culinary experience.

Update: After bringing this to their attention they offered their apologies and a 50% refund.

Cupcake-Decorating.jpg

We’ve done it three times! It’s so much fun. We’ve done it on Explorer, Harmony, and Allure. Totally worth the price. We’ve made fish, butterflies, a frog on a lily pad (probably my least favorite because I don’t like fondant), and a puppy. On Allure you also got a free scoop of Ben and Jerry ice cream when you took the class.

CD5F03C4-F203-4AAC-BBA9-865B0C990F2A.jpeg

B54438D8-A89B-4146-AFB2-0CE6B4E9312A.jpeg

21 hours ago, vbarry said:

We just got off of Oasis a few days ago and we had a wonderful family vacation! However, a quick heads-up to future Royal Caribbean cruise parents... we were disappointed with the Sprinkle Time Cupcake Decorating Class touted as a culinary course to learn to decorate freshly baked cupcakes.

Our two girls (youngest is 7yrs old) are baking fanatics so this would be a fun treat for them so we decided $47 + tax each was pricey but fine. As you can see from the photo, it turns out to be a single cupcake and a few balls of fondant. It takes place in the middle of the Sugar Beach candy store during store hours and is run by the cashier.

Our eldest followed the cashier’s instructions and did her cupcake on her own, however the cashier was jumping in and doing a significant portion of the younger kids’ tasks for them. The 45 minute class was done in exactly 20 minutes and the cashier was back helping customers with their candy orders. $100 fee for this Royal Caribbean International culinary experience.

Update: After bringing this to their attention they offered their apologies and a 50% refund.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/16547c823a7bb736b91a1aa6ec180a9254b85bbcfffc1f5b5b5d9926c14537e8/1280/https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2023_02/Cupcake-Decorating.thumb.jpg.e93a4de3e4526549648e1985e920f8c1.jpg

This reminds me of the one we did on Harmony. It was my least favorite. The one on Allure was my favorite, followed by Explorer. We did it at Giovanni’s on Explorer, Wonderland on Harmony, and in the ice cream shop on Allure. But in the ice cream shop they closed down for the duration of the class.