Main dining Room Breakfast and Lunch

Jayhoaps

We love the MDR breakfast, I the Market Veg. Breakfast Bowl or the Breakfast Burrito, Wifey the Benedict or french toast.  Love to sit by the window and watch the waves! While the food at lunch is good, we can't eat breakfast lunch and dinner in the MDR without being stuffed. Yes just show up and check the planner as the times vary each day. 

58 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

We love the MDR breakfast, I the Market Veg. Breakfast Bowl or the Breakfast Burrito, Wifey the Benedict or french toast.  Love to sit by the window and watch the waves! While the food at lunch is good, we can't eat breakfast lunch and dinner in the MDR without being stuffed. Yes just show up and check the planner as the times vary each day. 

I liked the breakfast bowl and the burrito too, although the bowl was too big for me to finish. Have you tried the power wrap? It's delicious too.

8 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Hello everyone, just wanted to inquire about breakfast and lunch in the Main dining room. Do you need to make reservations for this or do you just show up at the main dining for breakfast or lunch and be seated. Any guidance or insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On Voyager last week for breakfast and lunch it was just show up.  We only went a couple of times and only once was there a wait more than a couple of minutes.

7 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I liked the breakfast bowl and the burrito too, although the bowl was too big for me to finish. Have you tried the power wrap? It's delicious too.

I will try the power wraps in April! Thanks! I found the bowl to be just right. The time change has my stomach growling, I like to say I fluctuate from staving to hungry as a constant state though. 

12 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Thanks everyone for the reply, greatly appreciated. 

Just wondering when dining in the main dining room for breakfast or lunch is there a dress code? Or for example can I wear a casual t-shirt flip flops and shorts? 

Time. 

I see people in all sorts of attire.  A casual t-shirt and sandals will fancy.

3 hours ago, SteelersNationVA said:

Are there vegan options for breakfast and lunch in MDR.  DD1 and BF are vegan.  I know there are vegan options in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch and there is a vegan menu in MDR for dinner, but what about the other meals?

There is nothing listed however if someone in your party is vegan and wishes to dine in the MDR for breakfast and lunch, let them know ahead of time. This way they can have things prepared and on hand.

On 11/10/2022 at 5:46 AM, Jayhoaps said:

Hello everyone, just wanted to inquire about breakfast and lunch in the Main dining room. Do you need to make reservations for this or do you just show up at the main dining for breakfast or lunch and be seated. Any guidance or insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I love Sea Day lunch, the Steak Frites are my favorite! 

We were on odyssey last week.  No breakfast or lunch in main dining room.  Only brunch. Until 12.30.  Same tiny menus for 13 days. They wanted everyone to eat at the Windjammer.  Most people were mad and complained about it. Food was awful on this cruise.  Worst is have ever had in 20years. Cold and bland. No taste at all on prime rib or steaks.  Salt and pepper were a must.  Don't eat on that ship.     Batman362

We are on WOS in February.  My gut tells me 1/2 our family will eat in the MDR for breakfast (we rise early) the other half may grab mid morning snack at the Windjammer.  My love for the Windjammer is fading, and frankly, I     can't put my finger on it.  

As for the MDR for breakfast, no reservation needed.  Just show up....and wait in line.  It typically goes fast.  The breakfast can be made to order and is pretty good....but percieved "forced march" seating....I    am not big on.  I    am FAR from anti-social (just ask my wife), but for breakfast I    need my own space, my own social setting.  Basically, I    need my space to begin to amp up.  Sitting at the same table with strangers or a foot and half from another two top....just doesn't feel right in the MDR setting.  I    have NO math, just how I    feel about MDR breakfast time.  I    FEEL like I    am imposing on the crew to ask for a quiet table.....or they look consternated if we ask to be at a table alone.  I    think it is "setting" that drives the feeling.  If I     wanted to be packed in.....I    would go to the Windjammer where my mind is conditioned to it.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:13 PM, Jayhoaps said:

Thanks everyone for the reply, greatly appreciated. 

Just wondering when dining in the main dining room for breakfast or lunch is there a dress code? Or for example can I wear a casual t-shirt flip flops and shorts? 

Time. 

Yes as long as the t-shirt has sleeves.  They do not allow men in the MDR wearing a shirt with no sleeves like a muscle shirt or tank top.  My son and my husband both got sent back to their rooms to get something to cover up their upper arms!  Crazy!

Timing depends on whether it’s a port day or sea day and the hours are always listed on the cruise compass and the Royal App.  

On 11/18/2022 at 7:54 AM, Batman362 said:

We were on odyssey last week.  No breakfast or lunch in main dining room.  Only brunch. Until 12.30.  Same tiny menus for 13 days. They wanted everyone to eat at the Windjammer.  Most people were mad and complained about it. Food was awful on this cruise.  Worst is have ever had in 20years. Cold and bland. No taste at all on prime rib or steaks.  Salt and pepper were a must.  Don't eat on that ship.     Batman362

At least your consistent. Brunch on sea days breakfast on port days. Menu not the same every day and not that tiny.

According to my uncle most were happy an had a great time but there always some people who want more. It's the tourism and service industry after all.

On Rhapsody out of Haifa this year, breakfast and lunch in the MDR was exactly the same every single day. It was a buffet for both with pretty much the exact same items (sometimes they'd have one fruit instead of another). No ordering off a menu. In general the food was pretty dull, considering dinner in the Windjammer consisted mainly of the items already offered in the MDR. Quite the letdown. 

On 11/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, SuzanneM said:

On Rhapsody out of Haifa this year, breakfast and lunch in the MDR was exactly the same every single day. It was a buffet for both with pretty much the exact same items (sometimes they'd have one fruit instead of another). No ordering off a menu. In general the food was pretty dull, considering dinner in the Windjammer consisted mainly of the items already offered in the MDR. Quite the letdown. 

Yes, there was one rotating hot dish at the breakfast (I tried hash browns for the first time!). Otherwise the same every morning (only went to 2 lunches and stayed out of the windjammer, though).

• 3 months later...

Hi all! I’m a newbie so please excuse my naivety. I cruised on holland America once when I was 19 and breakfast lunch and/or brunch was offered but at a cost. Is it included on Royal Caribbean? Also can drink packages be used? Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Hi all! I’m a newbie so please excuse my naivety. I cruised on holland America once when I was 19 and breakfast lunch and/or brunch was offered but at a cost. Is it included on Royal Caribbean? Also can drink packages be used? Thank you!!

Yes, breakfast, lunch and/or brunch is included on Royal Caribbean in several locations. There are some specific locations where there would be an extra charge, but the main dining room and the Windjammer buffet are included on all ships. Then there are also some other included/complementary/free options that vary by ship (Solarium, Johnny Rockets, etc.). You'd have to check in the app, on the website or on board to figure out any other complementary choices. 

To be honest, I did a double take at your question. I've only ever cruised when all meals were included, and the idea that you would have had to pay for breakfast and lunch seemed really bizarre to me! You are stranded on a boat at sea, at their mercy, but in order to EAT you had to pay more!?! Wow. I'm really glad that is not the case any more.

And yes, you can use your drink package at the Main Dining Room and it should cover anything that is available under the package in the WJ, but I can't think what that might be. Maybe specialty coffees? Not sure if there is anywhere to get cocktails or mocktails in the WJ. Maybe someone else can chime in with that answer.