Lanyards needed?

They are helpful when you don't have pockets or for those prone to losing cards. Ships are cashless and you use your SeaPass card to get into your cabin and make purchases, so you need to keep it with you. Some folks use pockets, some have a stick-on wallet on their phone, some put them in a wallet or a purse and others opt for lanyards.

Need? No. Never worn one in my life. I always have pockets and keep my sea pass and Diamond voucher tip money in them (I usually carry my wife's too).

On a beach excursion (or Cococay) I have a little waterproof plastic container to hold it and cash which goes into the velcro sealed pocket of my swim trunks.

Obviously they are popular but it's a personal preference thing.

I've found the lanyards very useful to not be digging through pockets, bags, etc. For my kids, they can't misplace it if it's around their neck! Then we used magnet hooks by the door in our stateroom and hung them there to not lose them in the kids' stuff. We got a 3 pack of lanyards from Amazon for around $7 pre-cruise. 

I have used a lanyard with a clip and a retractable badge holder on a couple cruises this year and I swear I will never go without one.  Search Amazon for "2-Pack Cruise Lanyard with Retractable Badge Reel, Waterproof Badge Holder, and Snap Buckle" and you can select from multiple designs.  $10-$12 for 2 of them.  

With the drink package its as simple as unclipping the buckle and handing the badge in the holder with the retractable reel hooked up.  It makes it easier to recognize when the server brings it back and it is noticeable if you forget to clip it back on (due to the limited extra weight of the retractor). 

• 2 weeks later...

Lanyards are great to have. You'll be changing clothes often, and your "available pockets" will fluctuate throughout the week. That's why so many people use cruise lanyards to create some consistency. You'll always know where to put your cruise key card and will be much less likely to lose it.

However... some people HATE wearing something around their necks constantly. We're a "cabin divided" - half wear lanyards and half use this brilliant little invention below. You'll never be without your phone and this creates next to 0 extra space. Your key card can piggy-back your most protected item all week long 🙂

image.jpeg.d83d129c6d26a453e779b845bf9c89b0.jpeg

UPDATE:  i've been asked for the link where I bought this on Amazon. You can find this cruise key card holder here.

1 hour ago, MustCruise said:

Lanyards are great to have. You'll be changing clothes often, and your "available pockets" will fluctuate throughout the week. That's why so many people use cruise lanyards to create some consistency. You'll always know where to put your cruise key card and will be much less likely to lose it.

However... some people HATE wearing something around their necks constantly. We're a "cabin divided" - half wear lanyards and half use this brilliant little invention below. You'll never be without your phone and this creates next to 0 extra space. Your key card can piggy-back your most protected item all week long 🙂

image.jpeg.d83d129c6d26a453e779b845bf9c89b0.jpeg

UPDATE:  i've been asked for the link where I bought this on Amazon. You can find this cruise key card holder here.

I wish Apple did not put the magnet thingy in the back of the latest iPhones.

12 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Just to piggyback on... I've always punched my sea pass and put it on a lanyard, but can you still do this? Or do you need a sleeve?  (Going on Harmony and I was able to punch on allure but I'm thinking you can't on Harmony).  Jane

Harmony has the tap to use cards, so you'll want a sleeve.

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Harmony has the tap to use cards, so you'll want a sleeve.

Bummer!  I thought that might be the case.  I've had a few rip off...I remember an awful Disney trip pre magic bands.   Do bartenders have to swipe (will I have to take it out of the sleeve all the time?). Jane

28 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Bummer!  I thought that might be the case.  I've had a few rip off...I remember an awful Disney trip pre magic bands.   Do bartenders have to swipe (will I have to take it out of the sleeve all the time?). Jane

Get one of the lanyards with the clip off buckle and a sleeve. Then you can just hand it over. The bartenders tap to pay just like you tap to get into your room.

Something similar to https://www.amazon.com/Lanyards-Detachable-Breakaway-Waterproof-Resealable

13 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Do bartenders have to swipe (will I have to take it out of the sleeve all the time?). Jane

The good thing about the RFID cards on Harmony is that you don't have to take them out of the sleeve,  whether it be ordering at the bars, opening the room, getting on and off the ship, etc.

image.thumb.png.450ccd1a3edf51aad2b930fba986e520.png

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, Xaa said:

Need?  Probably not. Want?  Maybe.  Depends on  your pockets, their availability and your tolerance for reaching in and out of them.

I personally don't use one.  Wife uses one.

This would be my exact answer. Although my wife ditches her lanyard and I just put her card in my pocket at times.

Need, no. Hubby keeps his seapass in his pocket. Now, there are some very pretty ones available. I have several that I wear depending on my day. I have a casual plain black one for knocking around during the day or at the pool. I have four very pretty jeweled types that I wear in the evening to dress up my outfit for the evening. They are easy to pack and I don't have to bother with necklaces in my limited luggage tangling etc. They add an inexpensive "pop" and with my attached Vera Bradly pouch I can also bring extra money for tips, a few tissues and sometime even a small lipstick. I LOVE my lanyards, strange I know!

20230719_121912.jpg

Edited by Neesa
Added pic

I have several that I wear depending on my day. I have a casual plain black one for knocking around during the day or at the pool. I have four very pretty jeweled types that I wear in the evening to dress up my outfit for the evening. They are easy to pack and I don't have to bother with necklaces in my limited luggage tangling etc. They add an inexpensive "pop" and with my attached Vera Bradly pouch I can also bring extra money for tips, a few tissues and sometime even a small lipstick. I LOVE my lanyards, strange I know!

I find none of this surprising. It's become very clear that you will do you, as you should.

My wife only has one. She can order/buy whatever she wants of course, especially if inexpensive, but you can guess my reaction if she told me she was ordering multiple lanyards as accessories, lol.

I have spent the majority of my cruises using a lanyard but the next few I think I will stop. I always carry a small bag and have pockets. I find that the ones I have purchased started to pill my clothing from the friction. The convivence can be there but I often find myself removing them once I become stationary. 

Okay...I realize how shallow my response was in terms of usable substance.

Lanyards are great. Even if our bathing suits have pockets, when we are at the pool(s), my particular lanyard allows me to carry wife's seapass, her id, my seapass, my id, one credit card, and some cash and receipts.  When we step out of our room to visit the bar or restaurants on board, I don't like carrying my wallet. 

I also have one of those front pocket Ridge-style wallets that have a transparent single card slot and lanyard attachment.  It is bulkier but is my everyday wallet.  Point is, I can attach it to my lanyard strap if I need other cards.  

My kids, for some reason or another, choose to pack pants and shorts with no pockets whatsoever.  They like doing their own thing and lanyards allow them to carry around pre-loaded seapass cards.  

When we were in Alaska, I carried my lanyard around my neck and to the side like a sling style bag.  Concealed it under my coat.  Safe and light travel tip.

I have spent the majority of my cruises using a lanyard but the next few I think I will stop. I always carry a small bag and have pockets. I find that the ones I have purchased started to pill my clothing from the friction. The convivence can be there but I often find myself removing them once I become stationary. 

YEs.  You have two great points here.

1. The strap causes friction either on your clothes or your neck.  Gotta find a comfortable one.

2. Yes, once sitting, the tendency is to remove it.