bar harbor

Well,this is a bummer. We had a 2020 cruise canceled because , you know. In 2021 we took a land trip to recreate much of the cruise and we enjoyed Bar Harbor for several days. We’d like to go back, but don’t need longer than a day there so a cruise would be perfect.  Bar harbor is kinda hard to get to and there’s not much else around, so I guess we won’t be back.

Bar Harbor is beautiful, and Acadia National Park is amazing. Last two years i've gone up on my motorcycle, nine and a half hours each way. You really need to spend a few full days there to appreciate the beauty of it.  That said I think it still would be a nice port day to take a quick tour of the park and spend a couple of hours in town. The town itself is pretty small so I understand the concerns of getting overrun with four or five thousand passengers getting off a mega ship. 

The story of the beginning of Acadia National Park is a great one.  At a time there was little to no federal money for acquisition, improvement, or enforcement of the National Parks, a man named George Dorr, who was born to great wealth, never married, and had no heirs, gave so much of his money to make that park happen, his accountant had to hide $2000 dollars from him for his funeral.  Once the land was purchased, John D. Rockefeller II gave millions for improvements.  It is a great story.

The town council had already implemented restrictions on cruise ship passenger numbers. 
This story appears to be about a petition vote which will put a new, more restrictive policy, on the ballot. 
If they don’t want us there…fine with me. I don’t like tendering anyway. But it is a very beautiful place!

The feds should probably review any grants over the past 5 years to see if they were provided on the basis of supporting cruise ships or passengers.  Ports in Maine received $18M in 2022.  The Army Corp of Engineers awarded $6M to a specific project in Bar Harbor.  

If the justification for any grants included cruise ship passengers that needs to be reviewed and possibly reimbursed by the town now.  

We enjoyed the town of Bar Harbor last month on our Voyager sailing.

Acadia National Park was beautiful, but the Park Service only allows tour buses a limited amount of time to spend driving through the park. We were able to get out of the bus for about 15 minutes to take a few photos, but the remainder of the photos were quick snapshots on a moving bus. I really felt like the whole deal was a bit of a rushed ripoff for a paid tour, even though our tour guide was very knowledgeable.

Bar Harbor would be an interesting place to spend a few days, but they seem to be a little put off by the cruise crowd.

• 1 month later...