Sad Day. Cruise Cancelled.

mills10

Just received an email that our cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of Barbados in Feb of 2024 has been cancelled.  

Here is what the email said:

"Our original plan for Jewel of the Seas was to offer a Winter 2023-2024 season with sailings departing from Bridgetown, Barbados December 4th, 2023 through March 25th, 2024. However, we’ve recently been advised that due to United States Customs and Border Patrol operational requirements, we’ll no longer be able to sail from Barbados. Instead, Jewel will continue offering sailings from its homeport in San Juan, Puerto Rico through March 2024. Unfortunately, this means your cruise has been cancelled."

We are super bummed b/c this was going to be a no kids trip with two other couples.  Us three husbands all used to live in the Southern Caribbean for 2 years and we were excited to go back and show our wives.

Oh well.  I guess we will look at other options and book a different itinerary.  

1 hour ago, mills10 said:

Just received an email that our cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of Barbados in Feb of 2024 has been cancelled.  

Here is what the email said:

"Our original plan for Jewel of the Seas was to offer a Winter 2023-2024 season with sailings departing from Bridgetown, Barbados December 4th, 2023 through March 25th, 2024. However, we’ve recently been advised that due to United States Customs and Border Patrol operational requirements, we’ll no longer be able to sail from Barbados. Instead, Jewel will continue offering sailings from its homeport in San Juan, Puerto Rico through March 2024. Unfortunately, this means your cruise has been cancelled."

We are super bummed b/c this was going to be a no kids trip with two other couples.  Us three husbands all used to live in the Southern Caribbean for 2 years and we were excited to go back and show our wives.

Oh well.  I guess we will look at other options and book a different itinerary.  

I'm on Rhapsody departing Barbados next March. I hope nothing changes for early 2023 because my flight and hotel are booked. 

3 hours ago, Austin said:

I believe you can still do the same itinerary, but it leaves from San Juan instead of Barbados. Previously you could embark from either port similar to recent European cruises that allowed you to start from Rome or Barcelona.

It said nothing about that in the email. Just we could switch to a different cruise or get a refund. 

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Odd reason to blame it on US customs when the cruise never touches the USA.

These cruises are interporting cruises that embark guests in Puerto Rico then embark guests in Barbados further along the itinerary. 

The Interporting Barbados embarkations are cancelled, the San Juan departure for same itinerary still available. 

15 hours ago, D Alt said:

I'm on Rhapsody departing Barbados next March. I hope nothing changes for early 2023 because my flight and hotel are booked. 

Rhapsody cruises don't visit the US rather select itineraries interport with Colon and Cartegena so the new CBP policy or interpretation won't impact Rhapsody. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

These cruises are interporting cruises that embark guests in Puerto Rico then embark guests in Barbados further along the itinerary. 

Ah, that makes more sense. Though at the same time still makes no sense.

I'd be curious if the Barbados embarkation was even selling well to see if this was more financial than anything.

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Ah, that makes more sense. Though at the same time still makes no sense.

It still boggles my mind that CBP allows cruise guests to sail without a passport.  I haven't found reference to a new CBP policy but maybe it's coming and the cruise lines were warned.  Carnival has traditionally interported San Juan/Barbados so I trying to see if anything on CCL is impacted.  

Again, it’s the same ship and dates in the ports. Instead of leaving from either San Juan or Barbados, it’s San Juan only. Customs doesn’t like the dual embarkation ports (one US and one non US). So the cruise hasn’t been cancelled, just where you would fly into and leave from.