The mystery of the Wonder Central Park

Brandis

When we originally boarded Wonder in Rome about 2 weeks ago, I was surprised how small the plants still were in Central Park. After a full growing season on the ship, I expected the park to be much more lush than it actually is. It looked as if the plants had only been put in maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Today, I did the guided tour in Central Park and Laszlo, RCL‘s head gardener, who started the parks on all Oasis class ships, explained that they had to pull out all the plants and replant everything only a couple of weeks ago, since most of the original plants had been chosen for the asian climate Wonder was originally supposed to go. However most of those plants would not be compatible with the Caribbean climate and worse, are considered invasive species by the USDA, so Wonder would not be allowed to dock at any US port with those plants still in.

1 hour ago, Jill said:

That makes zero sense since Wonder sailed out of Fort Lauderdale for 6 weeks before she headed to Europe. 

The plantings were pretty sparse when it first started sailing. It is possible they redid it quickly before the inaugural with what they could that would get them through the European season this year.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jill said:

That makes zero sense since Wonder sailed out of Fort Lauderdale for 6 weeks before she headed to Europe. 

I spoke with Laszlo at length on the Wonder inaugural from Port Everglades.  It was never their intention to rip out live plants and replace them with plants that can stand the Florida weather and/or are approved by the USDA back in March. 

Plants don't die the instant they encounter Florida in March.  It takes times for a living plant to slowly struggle to survive but ultimately succumb.  Laszlo told me then that their plan was replace plants as they died, he wasn't about to take something that was alive and destroy it prematurely.   Even in March some plants were already showing signs and some had died in March so they were replacing them and filling in as it occurred.  Some went quickly he told me, good a few days ago but now dying quickly, while others would go through the same cycle over a number of months.   

There are many different species in Central Park, each has their own lifecycle. 

This approach was also consistent with funding that was available.  They didn't have millions and millions of dollars to throw at Central Park and do everything in the first few months of the ship's launch.  By spreading the spend over many months it was easier on their fragile pocketbook.  

He told me in March this is going to take a while.  

I've always thought the park looked great.   I wondered about all the processes  of dealing  varying cruise climate especially salt air, etc.   Didn't think about the USDA invasive species angle (which is an important selection consideration).   Seems like it's could be a notable maintenance cost item, maybe include some artificial ones in the mix.  

2 hours ago, Brandis said:

All the performers, games, entertainment is shown in the planner in the 

Yes, I realize that when it gets closer to sail date. I was wanting to know now (3+ weeks before)..... I like to do a little research on them early if possible.  No biggie, just thought I would ask.

9 hours ago, Ksucat said:

Yes, I realize that when it gets closer to sail date. I was wanting to know now (3+ weeks before)..... I like to do a little research on them early if possible.  No biggie, just thought I would ask.

No, you don‘t select YOUR cruise, but the one currently running. That will show you everything a current paper cruise compass would.