Cancel a rescheduled cruise ?

AMarieKC

Hello there! 

My husband, kids, and I planned a Christmas cruise this year (12/22 - 12/26) We were super excited to go. A close family member has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I need to go see her, and provide some care.

I have the travel insurance, but I’m not sure this scenario is covered. RC will not budge on the “penalty” and they charged me $400.00 (plus the price difference) to reschedule for next summer. Since we’re 45 days from the sail date, I’d have to pay a 75% penalty to cancel. 

MY QUESTION:

I’m now 200+ days from the new/rescheduled booking. If I cancel 90+ days prior to the new/rescheduled sail date, will I be eligible for a full refund? 

This would have been our first cruise ever, and RC is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I’m not even sure we’ll like cruising, and to have them stick to these policies, given the situation is giving me pause. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance 🦋

Your situation is not Royals problem. They gave you the same choices and fee's everyone else pays. I rescheduled next year's trip twice already and paid a $100 change fee per person each time for a total of $400. That was my problem, not Royals. I'm not sure what you expected from them. They can't bend the rules for everyone's personal issues.

I'm sorry about your family member's diagnosis. Royal isn't in the habit of giving refunds.  If you didn't book refundable you will be on the hook for whatever fees and penalties. I never book anything for substantial amounts unless I am fine with the risk. Your only recourse if you booked non-refundable is to eat the fees and get the remainder back. There's no way to get a 100% refund.

I am so sorry to hear about your family member. I pray for their ease and comfort. Unfortunately, Royal does not really do refunds like that unless it was a  refundable rate. You can change it, but there will be a change fee of $100 for it, much better than losing everything, though. I totally understand why this would leave a bad taste in your mouth. Try to chalk it up to the business end of Royal. Once on board, you will see a whole new light and typically, they have great guest services. Even beforehand, you will get excited looking at all the possibilities that await you. I would imagine that with what you are going through, a positive adventure in the future may be helpful. Most cruise lines are like this, just business, annoying, I get it, but as a whole, you probably will have a wonderful time! 

18 minutes ago, Adriana said:

I am so sorry to hear about your family member. I pray for their ease and comfort. Unfortunately, Royal does not really do refunds like that unless it was a  refundable rate. You can change it, but there will be a change fee of $100 for it, much better than losing everything, though. I totally understand why this would leave a bad taste in your mouth. Try to chalk it up to the business end of Royal. Once on board, you will see a whole new light and typically, they have great guest services. Even beforehand, you will get excited looking at all the possibilities that await you. I would imagine that with what you are going through, a positive adventure in the future may be helpful. Most cruise lines are like this, just business, annoying, I get it, but as a whole, you probably will have a wonderful time! 

Thank you fir your kind words. We already paid the fee to reschedule. I think that pushed me over the edge is that if the rescheduled cruise is cheaper, we don’t even get the differences back. We’ll pay the higher price, AND the reschedule fee. 

1 hour ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Your situation is not Royals problem. They gave you the same choices and fee's everyone else pays. I rescheduled next year's trip twice already and paid a $100 change fee per person each time for a total of $400. That was my problem, not Royals. I'm not sure what you expected from them. They can't bend the rules for everyone's personal issues.

Interesting that your name is “not payin extra” 😂 we’re BOTH paying extra, it seems. 

I expected them to NOT charge extra fees on top of fees. I know my problems aren’t their problems. Thanks for pointing that out 😉

To be honest I am actual surprised that they let you reschedule a cruise within the final payment window at all, much less for only $100 per person.

Though @Ampurp85 suggestion to see what you options are is good advice.  Not a TA here but a frequent cruiser, I would think that if your rescheduled cruise is outside of the final payment window that after all the reschedule is completed, you could still go back for a price drop.  Again another reason use a Travel Agent to start with considering it cost you nothing.  

4 hours ago, AMarieKC said:

A close family member has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I need to go see her, and provide some care.

I have the travel insurance, but I’m not sure this scenario is covered.

Sorry to hear about this. Depending on your relationship to this family member, you should be able to get refunded the cancellation fees. Most travel insurance covers these situations. Check your policy docs.

18 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Royal's reputation is Royal's problem, and they could bend the rules for everyone's personal issues if they wanted to.  In the short term they'd be out of the fee income, but would it work out for them in the long-run due to increased goodwill from customers that bring in repeat business?  Maybe, maybe not.  My guess is they are concerned that things like this would be too easy to make up and too administratively difficult to police (by requesting proof of illness and relationship).  So I'm not saying I don't understand Royal's position. But it isn't a given and Royal is making a choice to increase its revenue at the expense of some bad goodwill now and again. The OP being frustrated is also entirely understandable.

1 hour ago, berkeleykel said:

Royal's reputation is Royal's problem, and they could bend the rules for everyone's personal issues if they wanted to.  In the short term they'd be out of the fee income, but would it work out for them in the long-run due to increased goodwill from customers that bring in repeat business?  Maybe, maybe not.  My guess is they are concerned that things like this would be too easy to make up and too administratively difficult to police (by requesting proof of illness and relationship).  So I'm not saying I don't understand Royal's position. But it isn't a given and Royal is making a choice to increase its revenue at the expense of some bad goodwill now and again. The OP being frustrated is also entirely understandable.

I think the OP came here seeking answers to questions they already had and just did not like. Royal like any airline, hotel, resort, etc basically any business charges fees for changes and cancelations, that is what we call life. By following their own rules on this I don't believe they are bringing anything negative on themselves. To pay more upfront to book refundable was an option. Just like airlines offer. It costs a great deal more and most don't and take their chances. This is what your left with if you do. And I believe $100 change fee to save all the money spent by allowing you to rebook for a different date is a very fare and reasonable compromise. Everything has a fee attached to it. That's just life and business. 

31 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I would think your travel insurance would cover this?

Travel insurance policies tend to be very specific with respect to family relationships when allowing you to claim for something like this.  Often it doesn't extend outside of the immediate family. Might be worth looking into just to make sure it isn't an option, though.