Allianz Travel Insurance, Basic or Premier?

Vincent

We (me, wife and 2 younger twenty year old kids) have 3 trips planned over the course of the next year. The first is at a resort in Los Cabos (non-cruise), then 2 RC cruises, one to Nassau, and the other is multiple European countries via Symphony Western Mediterranean. I have never purchased insurance for past trips, but feel that the piece of mind is enough to justify the purchase. I have read through several post and discussions as far as recommendations for which insurance companies folks have had success with. So after doing some research and comparing prices, I believe that Alliance may be our best option. As we are leaving the country for 3 separate trips, wouldn't an annual plan make most sense? And as I pull up quotes through the Alliance site, it shows a comparison of 3 different options;

1. "Executive", the most expensive, labeled as for the Business traveler.
  2. "Basic", Best for budget international travelers, and is in the middle cost wise.
  3. "Premier", states best for families who love to travel, is cheaper than the "Basic" plan but offers more AND higher plan benefits.

Its states that all benefits are per insured, so I take that to mean all four of our family members, and all benefits are per trip except for trip cancellation and trip interruption - which are per travel insurance plan.

Another question that I don't see clarified is if this plan is a calendar year or a full 365 day plan?

If anyone might suggest advise, a different option, company, or idea, I am most definitely all ears.

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's 365 days. For instance mine is 3/1/2022 to 3/1/2023.

And yes, an annual plan definitely makes more sense if you have more than 2 trips a year.

Thanks. So is the price I am being asked to pay today, Total of $485 ($69.29 per traveler) per trip or are we covered for as many trips as we can cram into 365 days? 

• Vincent changed the title to Allianz Travel Insurance, Basic or Premier?
19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I assume you are referring to Allianz ?

Thanks 🙂 and yes. So do you pay per trip or just the one time, once per year? Seems all most too good to be true, especially when considering what just one minor injury or sickness would be. Our health insurance also does not follow us out of the US.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That's your one time premium for the entire year.

Wow! Am I missing something? Other than the understanding of just how naive and lucky we have been over the last several years. The older I get, the less risk I seem to take. Informed the family that I don't want to climb on the roof and put up Christmas lights anymore. Except for the leg lamp in the window, that's the only show our neighbors are getting this year.

16 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Thanks 🙂 and yes. So do you pay per trip or just the one time, once per year? Seems all most too good to be true, especially when considering what just one minor injury or sickness would be. Our health insurance also does not follow us out of the US.

Just once per year.  It covers both of us.  A travel plan is definitely the way to go if you plan on taking multiple trips (whether cruising or other) per year.

Note that the maximum allowance amounts are a TOTAL value...[e.g.] so it's not $50K per trip...it's $50K per year.  If you use all of your coverage, it's gone....

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Just once per year.  It covers both of us.  A travel plan is definitely the way to go if you plan on taking multiple trips (whether cruising or other) per year.

Note that the maximum allowance amounts are a TOTAL value...[e.g.] so it's not $50K per trip...it's $50K per year.  If you use all of your coverage, it's gone....

A much clearer way of getting across what I was trying to say. 🙂

The Allianz plans will cover you anytime you leave for a trip 100 miles from your house, door to door.  So even if you plan a weekend road trip and something happens that's a covered event, you could get some benefits. It also includes rental car damage coverage, some luggage coverage and other smaller coverages. 

Check your credit card benefits as you might already be covered.  My AMEX card has travel insurance if I purchase the trip with it.  I have never had to use it, but I do know people that have and were happy with it.  Apart from having to submit proof and documentation for an incident, they had no issue with AMEX covering and reimbursing them for both the trip and medical expenses.