We're Feeling Really down :( our cruise left today.

Hey guys, little bit of a vent post.

I went on my first cruise last year from the 30th of december to the 8th on allure, and it was the best time of my life, it was also me and my wifes first vacation in 10 years.  it might sound strange but our first stop was coco cay and when i was floating around in the sea i literally felt stress leave my body, after an incredibly stressful year. 

Well we decided to spend our savings on a jumbo trip this november, for my wifes 50th birthday. We were leaving on the 6th of November and back to backing it with a second trip leaving from the 13th.  

Unfortunately, life decided to kick us in the teeth a bit, first i had a hospital trip in march for 5 days with norovirus and cdiff, then our dog had an emergency surgery, then our fridge died, then our dryer died, then in september i needed emergency shoulder surgery, resulting in me needing to recover for the next 6 months. 

We managed to get refunded with the NRD getting given back to us in cruise credit, but all our savings got eaten up by the non stop issues.

So here i am, feeling bad for the wife, obsessing about where our ship is in the ocean on https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9383936 feeling all kinds of guilty and down. 

Anyone have any suggestions on which cruise we should spend our 800 FCC on? Anyone experienced similar? We arent sure we are gonna be able to afford a cruise even with the cruise credit next year. Sorry for the depressing post 😄 just figured this might be a good place to vent. 

Oh my, this does really suck and I'm sorry your cruises needed to be canceled.  I don't have much in the way of recommendation for the $800--I would probably look into the cheapest cruise I could reserve to utilize the money, knowing I may need to book an inside cabin or older ship or non-peak sailing time.  This is a good time of year to watch the sales and get in touch with a travel agent to help you price all of your options and see what may be financially possible.    

I hope others have suggestions for you too, but know that I'm thinking of you and your wife and wishing good health to you both.  

We're really sorry you've had such a tough year.

As far as a cruise goes, if you go to royalcaribbean.com and search for a cruise with no criteria,  it will give you a list of cruises starting with the cheapest worldwide.  You can filter by port, destination, date, etc. To find the lowest price that meets your needs.

You'll save money and still have a great time on an older ship. I find voyager and freedom class ships offer a great mix of price and activities. 

An inside cabin is also worth considering.  They aren't nearly as bad as most people fear.

Depending on where you live, find a cruise that leaves from a port you can get to cheaply 

(For us, for example, living in California, I'd look at cruises leaving out of Los Angeles).  Look for cruises running in the "off-season" (Don't bother looking at "holiday" cruises--they go at a high price).

On some ships, you can get a good deal with "promenade view" cabins--window to the inside...they don't sell for much more than an inside on many cruises.

For an example, we are cruising on Navigator of the Seas in January from Los Angeles, 7 nights to the Mexican Riviera.  Our price, for two, for that Promenade View, including taxes and fees, was only $1174...and our TA threw in $100 in onboard credit--which covers about half the gratuities.  If you have $800 in FCC, you could do a cruise like that coming out of pocket only less than an additional $500...

Oh gosh, I am sorry to hear about all the issues! I pray you guys are well and things go more smoothly. It just was not your time for this cruise. All good, the right and better time & cruise will come! To try to help with costs (and stress), you may want to search for cruises within driving distance. You will still have to pay for gas, tolls and parking, but I prefer the freedom of driving and not worrying about luggage. Just do a search from any closer ports with no other restrictions. Take a look to see what is less expensive and tickles your fancy. You can often get better deals on some of the older and smaller ships, like those sailing from Baltimore. I hope things get better, that you heal well and find the perfect get away for you guys. Happy Birthday to your wife!

Definitely use a travel agent. Life kicks us in the butt, but it sounds like you had an amazing vacation and you will definitely go on another one again! This world is only temporary and just try to focus on getting healthy so you can enjoy it. From a mental health perspective, gratitude practices like gratitude journaling are simple but if actually practiced do make a difference mentally. Also getting out and walking in nature. also know its totally normal to feel the way you do but try and problem solve to move past the guilt and depressing feelings. In regard to prices it looks like September and early December seem to be the absolute cheapest times. We are on a budget too! My mom always said "life sucks and then you die." Which sounds terrible but she really meant it in the most productive way possible. You just got to accept the suck and enjoy the good-ish times. God bless and feel better soon. 

20 hours ago, FireFishII said:

If you use a travel agent and if you can be super flexible and within driving range of a port, a TA will get notices about Going, Going, Gone sales at super cheap prices. But you won't have much of a notice.  Good luck.  I hope that 2023 is a better year for you.

Going Going Gone is available for anyone to see! You just have to know how to find it! I have it bookmarked! They update it every week or two

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event_USD.pdf

3 hours ago, wjackson2289 said:

Thankyou for all the kind replies and information. 

Definitely look at Going Going Gone. Are you within driving distance of any port? Are you pretty flexible on when you can go? 

There was a new blog post yesterday or day before about taking a $99 cruise. It seems a great strategy is to book an interior then wait for a Royal Up. 

Going Going Gone (it’s updated every week or two)

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event_USD.pdf

I would have a hard time not recommending the cruise that we did for our 15th anniversary this spring, which was also our first cruise together, and was incredibly romantic 🙂 we sailed on Serenade of the Seas from Vancouver to Alaska, and we had a fantastic time! As a middle aged couple, I don’t feel that we were missing much being in a smaller and somewhat older ship. There was still plenty to do, the scenery is absolutely gorgeous, and we were able to afford a balcony cabin going in the off-season. A smaller ship would also be easier to get around on if you are concerned about mobility after your shoulder surgery.

More importantly, I pray that God blesses you both physically, emotionally, and spiritually after all you have been through, and that you will be ready for the journey we all have to take someday. Maybe you will find that all of these things are helping you see what is really important in life. As a Christian, for me the most difficult times in life have also been the ones in which I have felt God’s love most deeply. 

On a lighter note, let us know if you decide to set up a go fund me for your rescheduled trip. I would love to contribute! And I’m sure others on this forum would as well. Happy travels! 🙂

On 11/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, wjackson2289 said:

Hey guys, little bit of a vent post.

I went on my first cruise last year from the 30th of december to the 8th on allure, and it was the best time of my life, it was also me and my wifes first vacation in 10 years.  it might sound strange but our first stop was coco cay and when i was floating around in the sea i literally felt stress leave my body, after an incredibly stressful year. 

Well we decided to spend our savings on a jumbo trip this november, for my wifes 50th birthday. We were leaving on the 6th of November and back to backing it with a second trip leaving from the 13th.  

Unfortunately, life decided to kick us in the teeth a bit, first i had a hospital trip in march for 5 days with norovirus and cdiff, then our dog had an emergency surgery, then our fridge died, then our dryer died, then in september i needed emergency shoulder surgery, resulting in me needing to recover for the next 6 months. 

We managed to get refunded with the NRD getting given back to us in cruise credit, but all our savings got eaten up by the non stop issues.

So here i am, feeling bad for the wife, obsessing about where our ship is in the ocean on https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9383936 feeling all kinds of guilty and down. 

Anyone have any suggestions on which cruise we should spend our 800 FCC on? Anyone experienced similar? We arent sure we are gonna be able to afford a cruise even with the cruise credit next year. Sorry for the depressing post 😄 just figured this might be a good place to vent. 

dammit

Man, I'm so sorry for y'all.  That feeling you described when you literally felt the stress leave your body - my first cruise, too.  Not sure when it happened, either just hanging with friends on Orient Beach (not literally hanging; y'all get yer heads out of the gutter!) or as simple as the first time I literally saw the ocean and just how incredibly gorgeous and cobalt blue it was.   Miles above any vacation I've ever had.

So when you say you're going to miss this one, and all the crap that's happened to you this year, I feel your pain.  It would kill me.  As a late cruiser (53 for my first), I live for being on a RC sailing.  Only 6 so far, but hoping for more.  

Stay strong.  Book a replacement just as soon as you can.  Just like when Covid slapped us right in the mouth, you just have to put it out of your mind and stay patient.

I'd love to share one with ya on a future cruise!

21 hours ago, Jill said:

Definitely look at Going Going Gone. Are you within driving distance of any port? Are you pretty flexible on when you can go? 

There was a new blog post yesterday or day before about taking a $99 cruise. It seems a great strategy is to book an interior then wait for a Royal Up. 

Going Going Gone (it’s updated every week or two)

@Jill Thanks for posting the link, I've saved it too!  I'm curious if you notice much change in the departure port or if it's usually always Florida and usually always the same cruises/ships.  Of course, a December cruise I'm currently debating is not listed on this sale flyer--I wonder if it may end up listed and if so, then it may be time for me to book it.  I'm still unsure if I'm willing to commit to a 4-night cruise that involves airfare at the current rate.  Again, thanks for the link!