Getting shorted on alcohol

I have never had that happen to me (I drink martinis before dinner, so the glass would be empty!) but I did experience something similar. On our recent cruise on Serenade having purchased the deluxe drink package as I always do, we were dining in the MDR and I requested two different red wines from the list. Coincidentally, they were both under the $12 maximum and were the only ones of that varietal that were. I was informed that neither wine was available! Now this was a ten-day cruise so that is possible....BUT, this was on the first night of the cruise and we had just left port! The headwaiter gave me a song and dance when I questioned him about this and never did get any logical explanation.

Also, on the same cruise, a glass of Kim Crawford SB, which for years on various ships/cruises, was priced around $8-9/glass was $16 in the MDR. The next day at lunch in the WJ, I glanced at the wine listing on the table and it was $12! Don't know if it was a printing error or what but it seems RCL is doing some strange things with drinks/drink packages.

One of my only disappointments with my recent cruise on Freedom (first Royal cruise for me) was that the bar service in the MDR was very lackluster.  I had a beverage package, as did a few others at our table, and it was very difficult to get at most 2 glasses of wine during the course of dinner.  The server handling this seemed to have way too many tables to service, when he would finally get to us he had like 25 cards and slips on his tray.  We requested bar service from our waiter and he would get the bar server but then you would see your wine about 20 minutes later.  After day 2 I started stopping at Vintages on my way to dinner to grab a glass there to bring with me, since it was so difficult to get a glass of wine in the MDR.  

My other alcohol related complaint was that when I was ordering margaritas during the day, some bartenders would make it with Patron and some would make it with well brand.  It's not a huge deal, but even when mixed in, you can taste the difference.  I know I could have probably requested the Patron without an issue, but I didn't.  Next time I will just ask what the difference is and if I need to request the drink differently or something.  I try not to be a complainer, so it takes a lot for me to say something.

We bought the deluxe alcohol package for our trip on Freedom. Several times, I "caught" the bartenders not putting any alcohol in our drinks and had to remind them that Rum Punch has rum in it not just the mix and some soda. Is this a common thing? Has it happened to you?

I don't doubt your experience at all, though I do find this surprising and confusing.  The bartenders have no incentive at all to short you.  Perhaps they were just bad at paying attention?

I never experienced being shorted alcohol on a cocktail. Hopefully a isolated incident but I I must admit, I'm not totally surprised because of the cuts I've seen in other bar service areas. Seems with drink packages being more prevalent, rc limits the bar service in the MDR, private islands and the pool area. No coincidence imo. It used to be before drink packages, there was a incentive for rc to push drinks by adequate staffing and for the servers to hustle for tips. That's all gone now.

I never experienced being shorted alcohol on a cocktail. Hopefully a isolated incident but I I must admit, I'm not totally surprised because of the cuts I've seen in other bar service areas. Seems with drink packages being more prevalent, rc limits the bar service in the MDR, private islands and the pool area. No coincidence imo. It used to be before drink packages, there was a incentive for rc to push drinks by adequate staffing and for the servers to hustle for tips. That's all gone now.

I agree that with the prevalence of drink packages, they definitely limit the availability of alcohol in certain areas.  MDR for sure, I also noticed it in Labadee.  We rented a bungalow, got there pretty early, like 9 am or so, and I don't think the bar was open until close to 11 am (we were told they had to "set" it up).  You can bet if there were no such thing as drink packages that the bar would have been ready and waiting to take your money at 9 am!

I agree that with the prevalence of drink packages, they definitely limit the availability of alcohol in certain areas. MDR for sure, I also noticed it in Labadee. We rented a bungalow, got there pretty early, like 9 am or so, and I don't think the bar was open until close to 11 am (we were told they had to "set" it up). You can bet if there were no such thing as drink packages that the bar would have been ready and waiting to take your money at 9 am!

On the pool decks and labadee, I have to fetch my own drinks because either there are no servers are around or if you do find one, it takes forever to get your drink because they are loaded with orders.

I guess I've been lucky. I haven't noticed any service issues with the bars on any of the ships. Granted I'm usually on the Replenish package, but I've always had excellent service at the bars and lounges. I was even surprised by the efficiency of serving in the main show lounge where I was able to get multiple drinks during the performances. In fact, the service was so good I topped extra in cash (I always carry a few bucks on me just in case).

Good service at the bars and lounges for me too. Actually, the bartenders have always been great. It's away from the bars and lounges where I notice the decline with the availability of the roving bar service. I guess before the drink packages I got spoiled because it was so good. Just had to look in any direction and somebody was there at the ready,

I just got off of the Indy and during the sail away on the pool deck, there was one waiter serving about 50 to 75 passengers. He had a tray with the ingredients to make a Margarita and wouldn't even take drink orders from any of the passengers. I understand that this is a busy time but when you sit at a table, if you get up to fetch a drink, you lose your table. This happened to a couple of people, the wife was dancing in a group and the hubby got up to get a drink, came back and the table was taken by someone else. The Pool Bar had 4 passengers deep trying to get drinks. It would be smarter to grab your drink at another bar and bring it with you.

Candie