Accepted IDs at Ports

PG Cruiser

22 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Friends of mine, a family of four, are going on a Western Caribbean cruise.  Three of them have driver’s licenses, but their 14-yr old doesn’t have one.

What ID can she use for boarding at ports?  Is a passport her only option?

You can get state IDs for non-drivers issued at the driver's license offices.

I believe all may need documents acceptable for western hemisphere travel. This includes passports, passport cards and enhanced drivers license. An enhanced license is different from a Real ID drivers license. My info could be out of date and they might be good with their drivers license and birth certificate for example.

52 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Friends of mine, a family of four, are going on a Western Caribbean cruise.  Three of them have driver’s licenses, but their 14-yr old doesn’t have one.

The 14 year old only needs a birth certificate to cruise.

If she has a passport, that is a photo ID that is accepted.  She doesn't need a passport, though.  I just cruised with a 14,15 and 16 year old.  All had birth certificates.  Only the 16 year old needed a photo ID.  He has a drivers license, but if he didn't he would have needed a State ID or passport.

On 11/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, PG Cruiser said:

Are you asking at the original port of departure? Or are you wondering at each port the cruise visits?

You don’t need a photo ID at the ports you are visiting, just your Sea Pass Card.

We did a NE/Canada trip last week of Oct.  When it was time to disembark, everyone had to meet "face to face" with the Customs agent in Boston. It was a simple look at your ID, then look at your face, then move along. 

We got up to him and held out our TN Driver's License.  He asked if we had Passports and we said yes. Then he said I want to see those instead of DL.  I thought it was a weird encounter/request since I know that State DLs are acceptable. We stepped aside and dug out our Passports, he glanced at them and waived us on. 

2 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Are you asking at the original port of departure? Or are you wondering at each port the cruise visits?

You don’t need a photo ID at the ports you are visiting, just your Sea Pass Card.

I was wondering about ports the cruise visits, Cozumel and Costa Maya in particular.

I remember being asked for a driver's license and the SeaPass card.  That's why we are concerned for my friend's 14 yr old who doesn't have a DL. She has a passport though.

On 11/6/2022 at 8:27 PM, ZBrady said:

It's spelled out pretty clearly here - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

If the 14-year-old has a passport I would encourage them to use that (the adults as well - you never know!).

Alternatively, an official U.S. Birth Certificate is also accepted.

It's not the boarding day my friends are concerned about.  They all have passports for that.  They're concerned about the ports-of-call.  As much as possible, they don't want to take their passports with them off the ship.  (Paranoia sort of kicks in when you have witnessed pickpocketing in Barcelona firsthand).

But if the 14-yr old needs her passport, they'll take hers with them.

(We were hoping something like a school ID would be accepted, that's why I posted this question)

17 minutes ago, Xaa said:

The plan is to be in a foreign country without your passport because you're protecting them for what purpose?  This is the purpose of a passport.  Bring them with you.

Visiting a foreign country while on a cruise is slightly different.  Passports are not required at most ports, except when an emergency arises and air travel is needed.

I guess we just want to avoid the hassles of having to replace a stolen, lost, misplaced passport while at foreign ports.

I have never taken my passport with me at ports of call.  But I admit, there's always the "what if..." at the back of my mind.

I wonder what Royal will do if the passport you need is in the safe in your room.

11 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Visiting a foreign country while on a cruise is slightly different.  Passports are not required at most ports, except when an emergency arises and air travel is needed.

I guess we just want to avoid the hassles of having to replace a stolen, lost, misplaced passport while at foreign ports.

I have never taken my passport with me at ports of call.  But I admit, there's always the "what if..." at the back of my mind.

I wonder what Royal will do if the passport you need is in the safe in your room.

The hassles of a lost/stolen passport or the hassles of being stuck in Mexico without a passport.  That's the balancing act.  You clearly think having them stolen is a greater risk.  You're probably right.  I think you just take it with you and protect it.  Get a money belt or something.  Replacing a lost DL is also a hassle...

Anyway, I know you'll all work it out and have a great time.

31 minutes ago, Xaa said:

The plan is to be in a foreign country without your passport because you're protecting them for what purpose?  This is the purpose of a passport.  Bring them with you.

I agree completely.

If the recommendation so often made is to cruise with a passport "in case something happens" in a foreign country, why would you then leave it behind when you're IN that country? 

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

This make more sense to me on why you were asking the question.  What I usually do is carry my passport on me at all times (unless I am scuba diving) by wearing it in either a waist holder or around my neck on a lanyard. I usually have some emergency cash and a credit card too. Just in case. 

passport.webp.4e581b7957b5b20f5879c03c3f38c3e0.webp

gray-travelon-luggage-racks-12997-510-64_600.webp

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you don't return to the ship, they will empty the safe and leave the contents with the port agent.  

I'm just curious how this would actually work, in reality. I imagine if you are involved in an accident/mishap and you (or the authorities involved) contact the proper cruise personnel in a timely fashion that you cannot resume your cruise - your personal items could then be gathered up and left with the port agent.  But what if you are lolly-gagging around town and lose track of time and you are literally pier running to get to the ship before the gangway is removed? I don't think anyone is gathering up your items, packing them and leaving them with the port agent. If they do, you might show up in the nick of time but uh-oh! All your stuff is left at the dock! 

I don't know, I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just wondering the logistics of the whole thing.

Hello!!

I will be sealing to Bahamas this weekend from NJ, embark and disembark same location. I can not find my Passport Book, BUT I do have my Passport Card. Do you think they will accept it? on  Royal Website they say "We highly recommend that all U.S. Citizen’s cruise with their U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months". Does anyone cruise lately with just the Passport Card? PS: My Passport Card expires in 2028.... Thanks.

2 hours ago, Francis_Maryland said:

Hello!!

I will be sealing to Bahamas this weekend from NJ, embark and disembark same location. I can not find my Passport Book, BUT I do have my Passport Card. Do you think they will accept it? on  Royal Website they say "We highly recommend that all U.S. Citizen’s cruise with their U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months". Does anyone cruise lately with just the Passport Card? PS: My Passport Card expires in 2028.... Thanks.

The limitation is that you wouldn't be able to fly home from a foreign country.  For that, you'd need a passport.  I would look for your passport book, but if you can't find it use the passport card for check-in.  If you try to replace your passport now, you would need to send in your passport card.  Then you'd need a birth certificate and driver's license/government issued ID to cruise.  You can consult other threads on this topic and Royal's FAQs.

PS.  Most ports just require SeaPass and ID to re-board ship, but a growing number of countries are requiring passports.  A careful traveler would check each country on the itinerary.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, fireclan said:

I agree completely.

If the recommendation so often made is to cruise with a passport "in case something happens" in a foreign country, why would you then leave it behind when you're IN that country? 

You leave it in your stateroom safe so it isn't stolen or damaged.  We once had passports almost ruined by seawater on an excursion.  If you have an in-country emergency, the Port Agent is able to arrange retrieval of your items in your stateroom.   Since I always travel with family and use Royal's excursions, I am not worried about being stranded at a port.  In our most recent cruise two weeks ago, our tour group was one of three groups that were about 30 minutes for the "last tender" to the ship.  Royal waited for us.