What is RC approved power strip?

NatalieG

Instead of a power strip, I've used this USB Wall Charger / Charging Station on a number of Royal cruises (recommended on this forum a few years ago).

Perfect if you just need to charge electronic devices via USB cables. We've (my wife and I) use it for charging everything (iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch/GoPro camera & accessories/Bose Bluetooth Speaker, etc.)... of course you still need to bring the necessary charging cables! I put this in my carry-on with all of the USB charging cables. Never a problem! This will only occupy one outlet in your cabin.

4.8/5.0 stars... over 18K reviews!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00P936188/?coliid=I2UBG9AC1EEXV8&colid=4SM8DLSJ0ULT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

image.png.ed70320dc541ef0ca49111ff86ca7a6a.png

This is an actual in-use photo. 

I'm conducting research to make a recommendation for a portable solar panel that folks can use to recharge their devices while they are in a lounger at the pool or solarium. To recharge things on their balcony while they are away. Folks here are overwhelmingly beach obsessed at every port they stop at they stop at, what's something portable that they can recharge their electronic devices that they have already brought along; conveniently charging them for free? What is something that folks might buy INSTEAD of a power plug/ outlet adapter/ power strip because teaching the fundamentals of electricity just don't seem to sink in.

This particular solar panel is a definite step in the right direction. It has a lot going for itself but there are some shortcomings. So in two weeks I'll be back onboard conducting more research with a new candidate. Fingers crossed.....

You know, one would think that an outfit like RC could figure out exactly what to allow and not allow. They sure know that passengers are trying to be proactive in addressing their needs for charging a lot of devices. 

It could be as easy as "no device with any surge protection; devices which only expand the number of outlets are acceptable". But I'm just a little ol' Pre-Gold noob. What do I know?

22 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Instead of a power strip, I've used this USB Wall Charger / Charging Station on a number of Royal cruises (recommended on this forum a few years ago).

Perfect if you just need to charge electronic devices via USB cables. We've (my wife and I) use it for charging everything (iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch/GoPro camera & accessories/Bose Bluetooth Speaker, etc.)... of course you still need to bring the necessary charging cables! I put this in my carry-on with all of the USB charging cables. Never a problem! This will only occupy one outlet in your cabin.

4.8/5.0 stars... over 18K reviews!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00P936188/?coliid=I2UBG9AC1EEXV8&colid=4SM8DLSJ0ULT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

image.png.ed70320dc541ef0ca49111ff86ca7a6a.png

40+ cruises, multiple cruise lines, in carryon never been confiscated

20 hours ago, brgreens said:

You know, one would think that an outfit like RC could figure out exactly what to allow and not allow. They sure know that passengers are trying to be proactive in addressing their needs for charging a lot of devices. 

It could be as easy as "no device with any surge protection; devices which only expand the number of outlets are acceptable". But I'm just a little ol' Pre-Gold noob. What do I know?

Can you tell if a device has surge protection by looking at it?  I'm an electrical engineer and I can't do that.  The staff at the port don't have time to look up the manuals for every device they see so it's safer to reject anything with outlets.  Literally safer.  Surge protection can cause fires on a ship because surge protection relies on electrical grounding which doesn't work the same way when you are floating on water.

20 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Can you tell if a device has surge protection by looking at it?  I'm an electrical engineer and I can't do that.  The staff at the port don't have time to look up the manuals for every device they see so it's safer to reject anything with outlets.  Literally safer.  Surge protection can cause fires on a ship because surge protection relies on electrical grounding which doesn't work the same way when you are floating on water.

I always wonder why the cruise ships would reject surge protected devices.  This makes sense.

When purchasing a device, I make sure it is labeled as cruise approved.  Other than that, I couldn't tell you how to determine if one is or is not surge protected.

14 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

I always wonder why the cruise ships would reject surge protected devices.  This makes sense.

When purchasing a device, I make sure it is labeled as cruise approved.  Other than that, I couldn't tell you how to determine if one is or is not surge protected.

Fun fact.  There's no such thing as "Cruise Approved".  That's purely marketing by unscrupulous vendors/manufacturers.  Almost always a unrecognizable brand from a third party seller.  You can find items claiming to be "Cruise Approved" that clearly state they have surge protectors in them.

11 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Fun fact.  There's no such thing as "Cruise Approved".  That's purely marketing by unscrupulous vendors/manufacturers.  Almost always a unrecognizable brand from a third party seller.  You can find items claiming to be "Cruise Approved" that clearly state they have surge protectors in them.

Thanks.  I did not know that.