Mixed Messages

karl_nj

The first message is specific to your cruise so not really a mixed message.  That is the one that you need to utilize as the "truth".  You should still try to be there around your specified boarding time, taking into account any possible delays.  I'm sure there will be some leeway accommodated in actual boarding time. 

The second message is standard message that goes out to everyone for every cruise.  They are trying to avoid having people show up early just to get on the ship which will create issues like the lines pictured below for entrance to the terminal.

image.thumb.png.8193108e0fae599658ab3400642e80c1.png

image.thumb.png.de05129222b39b1da62ef35a432549d0.png

image.thumb.png.3a74e30cd3b6d2f4fae1d2f3b012f6ab.png

11 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

The first message is specific to your cruise so not really a mixed message.  That is the one that you need to utilize as the "truth".  You should still try to be there around your specified boarding time, taking into account any possible delays.  I'm sure there will be some leeway accommodated in actual boarding time. 

The second message is standard message that goes out to everyone for every cruise.  They are trying to avoid having people show up early just to get on the ship which will create issues like the lines pictured below for entrance to the terminal.

Yeah... I realize...  I'm just a little amused that yesterday they sent out an alert to give yourself more time to get to the terminal, and then today they sent out an alert that said basically said you will be punished if you arrive early.

Based on how things went the last time I sailed out of Bayonne (Christmas 2021) I fully expect to see lines like the ones in the photos you shared.  Nobody pays attention to the boarding times, and the terminal staff doesn't seem to do much about it.

22 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Yeah... I realize...  I'm just a little amused that yesterday they sent out an alert to give yourself more time to get to the terminal, and then today they sent out an alert that said basically said you will be punished if you arrive early.

Based on how things went the last time I sailed out of Bayonne (Christmas 2021) I fully expect to see lines like the ones in the photos you shared.  Nobody pays attention to the boarding times, and the terminal staff doesn't seem to do much about it.

I did not sail out of NJ in Dec or Jan but the rest of the months they had "the guy" who had the bullhorn announcing who can enter.  His coworker checked the set sail passes.  He was always there for the larger ship sailings but was not there for Adventure of the Seas in Sept/Oct.  I imagine this sailing will be a super crap show in regards to luggage drop off and terminal entry.  If I imagine the worst I'll be super happy if it's not.    Lot's of newbies don't understand why the process is the way it is and then you have the "old timers" who remember it as a "show up as you want" so surely "this arrive at my selected time does not apply to me".  Lastly there are those who probably never even chose a time on the app, because they are fully oblivious to anything at all except that they are getting on a cruise.  

39 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I did not sail out of NJ in Dec or Jan but the rest of the months they had "the guy" who had the bullhorn announcing who can enter.  His coworker checked the set sail passes.  He was always there for the larger ship sailings but was not there for Adventure of the Seas in Sept/Oct.  I imagine this sailing will be a super crap show in regards to luggage drop off and terminal entry.  If I imagine the worst I'll be super happy if it's not.    Lot's of newbies don't understand why the process is the way it is and then you have the "old timers" who remember it as a "show up as you want" so surely "this arrive at my selected time does not apply to me".  Lastly there are those who probably never even chose a time on the app, because they are fully oblivious to anything at all except that they are getting on a cruise.  

Yes I was really surprised how smooth things went October 2021 on Oasis (they were checking set sail pass times, etc.) and then what a mess it was just a couple of months later on Anthem.  Nobody was checking any times.  I was told JS's could not use the suite line for check-in, and that there was no line for Emerald or even Platinum and was sent to just one huge check in line.  I even tried asking nicely again and was yelled at by overwhelmed port staff.  Lots of fun.

20 hours ago, karl_nj said:

I think you're stretching it @karl_nj.  There is no mixed message.  First says you might need more time because of the marathon.  Second is the standard arrive in your time window message.  This would be the same message even without the heads up that you might want to give yourself more time.  But leaving early is just more time to do what you needed to do in the first place.  Arrive in your arrival window.

Punish is also and exaggerated word choice.  They didn't say you would be punished, they said you would be held to the agreed upon time coordinates.  If you agreed to be there at 12, it isn't a punishment if you are asked to line up or leave and return at 12.  Punishment is "Ok, you agreed 12 and it's only 11:30, now we won't take you until 1".

In any case, enjoy your cruise, I know you were just having a laugh.  I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from the marathon message.

23 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Maybe it's time to go back to show up whenever.  Covid is "kinda" over.

Even without Covid, the staggered arrival times helped prevent crowding at the terminal.   They're very flexible about it anyway.  If it is not too busy, they'd let you in ahead of your arrival time.  In the numerous times I have sailed after Covid, I was only turned away once. That was in Tampa.  They wouldn't even let me drop off my bags before my arrival time.

56 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Maybe it's time to go back to show up whenever.  Covid is "kinda" over.

Nah, it's not too hard to pick a time, arrive in a 30 minute window and not be completely shocked if when early, you are asked to wait your turn.  

Reservations work.  I want to keep appointments at the Dr, reservations at restaurants and arrival time spacing too please.

47 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

No way, ENFORCED check in times (like E Muster) is a change that should become permanent

I take Disneyland's approach for the long lines. It used to be that if you had a medical condition you were able to skip the line and go straight to the ride. The thing is that more and more people had "Medical Conditions" and the line grew again. Now, if you have a condition that prevents you from waiting in those long lines you can Make an appointment to skip the line at your appropriate Time.  What a concept!

I have an illness called "Bad Doctor Syndrome."  You know, the one with No Patients (Patience)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 10:07 AM, karl_nj said:

Well, it turns out embarkation for my cruise last week was super smooth.  Much better than it was Christmas of 2021.  

Disembarkation was amazing too... looked at my watch when leaving our stateroom and I was opening my front door in just under one hour...