Coastal Kitchen and Specialty Dining Only - No MDR

2 hours ago, Bryan from Bmore said:

Has anyone skipped the MDR altogether and just dined at specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen? I have always utilized the MDR except for a night or two if we decided to visit a specialty dining venue. This time around we are Sky Class and have the three-night dining package. I'll be sailing on Wonder in December. 

Typically if I order the "Unlimited" Dining Package I will eat specialty meals the entire cruise. Take advantage of the perks of being in the suite and enjoy Coastal Kitchen!

Added question, same topic. In a suite. When I booked direct, I booked traditional dinning, at a set time. I am booking speciality restaurants, and using CK. Second RCCL cruise, just getting to know things like CK.

I wouldn’t want a waiter in the MDR waiting for me each night and not turn up.

So should I inform then and how do I inform them? ( No Travel agent).

Or do they get reassigned to My time dinning quickly.

PS Not a question re gratuities I did pay them, but I know they cover the full ship breakfast lunch etc so happy to pay those. 

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, AndyPandy said:

Added question, same topic. In a suite. When I booked direct, I booked traditional dinning, at a set time. I am booking speciality restaurants, and using CK. Second RCCL cruise, just getting to know things like CK.

PS Not a question re gratuities I did pay them, but I know they cover the full ship breakfast lunch etc so happy to pay those. 

Thank you. 

Yes, it would be a good idea to go to the MDR at some point, early in the cruise, and let them know that you will not be coming to the MDR.  I have read that the maitre 'd at the MDR console can "see" that you have dining reservations elsewhere, but I have been told BY the maitre 'd that the MDR database is not the same as the specialty dining DB and that they canNOT see the specialty reservations....so not sure which is true.  It can't hurt to drop by and tell them...then your conscience is clear for the remainder of the cruise !!

21 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, it would be a good idea to go to the MDR at some point, early in the cruise, and let them know that you will not be coming to the MDR.  I have read that the maitre 'd at the MDR console can "see" that you have dining reservations elsewhere, but I have been told BY the maitre 'd that the MDR database is not the same as the specialty dining DB and that they canNOT see the specialty reservations....so not sure which is true.  It can't hurt to drop by and tell them...then your conscience is clear for the remainder of the cruise !!

Thank you. 

5 hours ago, AndyPandy said:

Thank you. 

I'm glad you asked this question.  I am planning spending 3 night in specialty restaurants and a night or two in CK. I think it makes sense to let your MDR staff when you will not be there.  This will be my first time probably missing the majority of MDR seating.  

17 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I'm glad you asked this question.  I am planning spending 3 night in specialty restaurants and a night or two in CK. I think it makes sense to let your MDR staff when you will not be there.  This will be my first time probably missing the majority of MDR seating.  

Yes I was wondering if to tell them in advance of the itinerary.

Not sure if I have a skewed perspective, but it seems like it is extra effort to get to the MDR when you have the UDP (and suites).  We have not been to the MDR on our last five cruises and likely will not on our next one in a few weeks.  While two were in Star Class, three were not.  Two of those were also on Voyager and Freedom class ships but those were 4 and 5 day sailings. 

Breakfast is usually outside of the MDR (Windjammer, in-suite or Chops), while lunches are specialty first, Windjammer or one of the other venues (Johnny Rockets, Playmakers) and snacks at quick service or Windjammer.  With all the options available on most ships, the MDR doesn't seem to be a much of an option.  We did drop in once on one of our early cruises but it doesn't seem to matter, especially if you choose MTD. 

I've been on 2 cruises and only ate in MDR on 1 night. For me, early seating is too early and late seating is too late. I like to decide each day where and when to eat, and travelling solo I can pretty much get a seat anywhere, I think because they know solo seatings are a quick in and out.

I often have dinners just in CK and Specialty restaurants.  Sometimes I do have breakfast or lunch in the MDR though.   Just depends.  But I do not have dinner in MDR very often as it seems noisy and unorganized the last few cruises.  Whatever you do, just have fun and enjoy!

Our norm is to do 3 night specialty, perhaps do playmakers as well and the MDR on the other nights. Our last cruise on Liberty we skipped the specialty dining, no playmakers, and did MDR and WJ. WJ, for the first time, not good, and regretted not going specialty. MDR was very good the nights we dined there.

Next is an 8 day on Odyssey with a suite so we can do CK and will also be doing Hibachi with friends along with the MDR so not sure we will get the specialty package.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Bryan from Bmore said:

Has anyone skipped the MDR altogether and just dined at specialty restaurants and Coastal Kitchen? I have always utilized the MDR except for a night or two if we decided to visit a specialty dining venue. This time around we are Sky Class and have the three-night dining package. I'll be sailing on Wonder in December. 

We don't like the MDR, so we buy the UDP, regardless of the ship. We were on Oasis in a suite in December and did a combination of UDP and CK. CK for breakfast a few times, one lunch, and dinner night one. UDP the rest of the time.