Locks on suit cases

Guad Crew

35 minutes ago, Guad Crew said:

that would suck. so do you still think locking them is best?

If you are locking to prevent theft then yes. If you are locking to prevent the cruise line from opening your bag, then no. Even without a lock if they suspect a reason to open the luggage they will have you do it in front of them.

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, FSUFAN said:

Does RCL security have keys for TSA approved locks? They are available on Amazon. Basically a lock with a combination and a key that TSA can use if they want to look inside your bag.

Anyone have a comment on this question? Never used locks or had an incident but the world is changing. 

I never lock my bags. I used to travel world wide for business and recall standing in an international terminal waiting for my bags and watching the customs people going down a line of suitcases cutting off all the locks, seemed like they didn't bother to try and unlock any. You used to get a note in your bag telling you it was opened by TSA, either they don't do that any more or they've stopped looking at my bag. I never have anything in my bag that couldn't be replaced. I travel with a backpack that has everything that can't, like electronics and medications. Since I've had to start using a CPAP I carry that as well, although sometimes I will still pack the CPAP on my return leg as I can deal with not having it once I'm home. So I guess I've just never worried about theft from my bags. Now, lost or delayed luggage is a whole different matter!

Always use locks...TSA combination locks from Amazon. 

Only once I had to go to onboard security on deck 2 because a port security worker put a sticker on my bag that said "Iron".

When I got there, my bag was waiting. They showed me the sticker and then they put the bag through the onboard xray machine with me watching. They saw nothing and declared my bag 'cleared'. I offered to open it but they said it was not necessary. Security was very courteous and apologized for the inconvenience. They said once the bag is flagged by port security...they had to wait for me to be there for them to re-scan it onboard...in case it had to be opened. Oh, well.

1 hour ago, Biaggio said:

Zip ties…..interesting but you’ll have to carry a cutting device to open them? Might be an issue getting through security.

I always put a pair of nail clippers in one of the outside zipper pockets of the suitcase in order to clip off the zip tie when I get to my destination. Easy, no issues through security, and zip ties are incredibly cheap to use.

42 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Assuming you have the nail clippers in a carry on and not zip tie locked in your suitcase

I keep them in an outside pocket on my main suitcase. That's not a pocket that is ever locked. It has nail clippers and extra zip ties in it, that's it. That way, I never am missing something to open my suitcase with!