which is "fancier"?

PRMLVM

On 11/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, smokeybandit said:

It's just the beginning of the end of having official formal nights.

For those who go "all out" (tuxes or suits for men, ball gowns for women): do you live close by and drive to your ports?  Do you pack these items plus clothes for the other 4, 5, 6 days and fly to a port?  How much luggage (and what kind - folding up a tux and gown in a standard rectangle case?) does that take?  (asking in light of all the extra charges for luggage these days)

14 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

For those who go "all out" (tuxes or suits for men, ball gowns for women): do you live close by and drive to your ports?  Do you pack these items plus clothes for the other 4, 5, 6 days and fly to a port?  How much luggage (and what kind - folding up a tux and gown in a standard rectangle case?) does that take?  (asking in light of all the extra charges for luggage these days)

It's been a long time since I've worn a tux on Royal Carribean.  I think it would be overkill.  I'll still bring my tux on Cunard though.

Sometimes I will bring a suit on Royal.  Other times just a sports coat/blazer, and sometimes none of the above.  It does depend on if we are driving or flying, and if we are flying how long the rest of our trip is (sometimes if I fly for a cruise I'll add some time pre or post cruise to do something on land.)  It also depends on what the weather is, am I packing mostly shorts and polo shirts, or do I need clothing that is more bulky and heavy?

Yes, it is possible to pack a suit in a regular suitcase.  There is a way to fold it to avoid too many wrinkles.  If it's the last thing you pack and the first thing you unpack, the wool fabric tends to de wrinkle itself pretty well.  usually.

When I first started sailing on Cunard 15 years ago, I would bring my tux, a suit *and* a blazer.  The blazer (no tie) was for "casual night" on day 1 and the last night.

18 hours ago, PRMLVM said:

I had read, but have not tried this out, that if you leave your suit in the thin plastic dry cleaning bag it will not wrinkle.  Like I said, I've not tried this out, but it sure can't hurt to try!

On 11/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, karl_nj said:

When I first started sailing on Cunard 15 years ago, I would bring my tux, a suit *and* a blazer.  The blazer (no tie) was for "casual night" on day 1 and the last night.

@karl_nj Your Cunard casual is my Royal Caribbean formal. 😁

I used to wear ties on formal night, but now I save them for special occasions.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:30 PM, PRMLVM said:

My suit fits in a normal 24 or 26-inch suitcase.  No problem.  On our cruise last week, I had extra slacks and shirts I never wore.  So packing isn't the issue if you check a bag.  When we drive to Florida, we do take an extra duffle for snorkeling equipment.  My wife doesn't wear a formal gown, but with a spiffy top and make up, she looks like a million dollars!

On 11/5/2022 at 6:46 AM, karl_nj said:

It's been a long time since I've worn a tux on Royal Carribean.  I think it would be overkill.  I'll still bring my tux on Cunard though.

Sometimes I will bring a suit on Royal.  Other times just a sports coat/blazer, and sometimes none of the above.  It does depend on if we are driving or flying, and if we are flying how long the rest of our trip is (sometimes if I fly for a cruise I'll add some time pre or post cruise to do something on land.)  It also depends on what the weather is, am I packing mostly shorts and polo shirts, or do I need clothing that is more bulky and heavy?

Yes, it is possible to pack a suit in a regular suitcase.  There is a way to fold it to avoid too many wrinkles.  If it's the last thing you pack and the first thing you unpack, the wool fabric tends to de wrinkle itself pretty well.  usually.

I like your name!

When we dressed more formally, we did use the dry cleaning bag trick and it did work.  It did usually require an extra bag, but that was when we tended to overpack on EVERY level.  Now, hubby will wear a button down shirt and slacks usually.  Sometime put on a jacket and tie - if we decide to do pictures.  I gave up on the gowns and do a dressy pant outfit and comfortable shoes.  🙂