Royal Stock buy?

Censored

Buy low and sell high.  I purchased my stock in June when the stock prices were just $33.  It is now up to $52. It has been over $100 prior to the pandemic.  The highest in the past 5 years was $135.  There is no guarantee on stock prices.  It is always a moving target.  So buy only if you have the funds that you could lose if the entire company goes bankrupt.  If you do purchase stock, plan on sitting back and enjoying the ride. 

I bought in the low $40s for the OBC.  It rolled down to the upper $30s and now as mentioned in the low $50s.  It is not an investment for me. It is not a Buy-n-Hold stock. It was money that I could afford to spend and not worry about.  If it runs up and I see a good profit, I will most likely sell.  If I can make $2,000, then that is OBCs for 20 sailings.

The entire travel market is very volatile. Covid type stuff, recession, inflation, housing - basically anything that can eat into digressionary spending is trouble.

It kinda depends on what your intention is. I bought 100 shares this summer because A...I thought it was likely to go up in value if/when the cruise industry bounces back and B...for the onboard credit.

I also bought Carnival stock because it was dirt cheap and A..above and B...same OBC deal as RCL. And even though I am unlikely to sail Carnival, I may sail on Princess or Holland America or even Cunard in the future.

I did not know the OBC for stock purchase was a “thing” until I saw it here.  Like others, I was in a position to pick up the shares and added 100 Carnival for the same reason.  Not looking to sell the stock, but the OBC is a nice dividend in this crazy market so, I’m in. Doesn’t hurt that the stock has gone up $10 since my buy, but since I’m not selling, it’s of no consequence for now, but still makes me smile. 

18 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Buy 100 shares for the OBC and take that as the return.

That's been my philosophy.  I think if you plan to cruise enough each year, it's a nice guaranteed return regardless of the actual stock price.  I don't think of the first 100 shares as an investment, but more as a savings vehicle or annuity (if you get it at a low enough price).

2 hours ago, billdauterive said:

That's been my philosophy.  I think if you plan to cruise enough each year, it's a nice guaranteed return regardless of the actual stock price.  I don't think of the first 100 shares as an investment, but more as a savings vehicle or annuity (if you get it at a low enough price).

Reminder: neither Royal nor Carnival pay dividends.  

My Financial Advisor hates me buying cruise stocks. She considers them too volatile and kind of "junk" status. But I have a set amount of "play" money that I am able to make buys like RCL holdings. I have a HAL cruise in August. Might buy CCL since it is under $10. 

Again, I'm not a financial expert by any means. Any advice from me is just a best guess.